1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Hating Signature Basses.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smcfarland1337, Aug 10, 2012.

1. smcfarland1337

smcfarland1337 Supporting Member

A friend and I were in Sam Ash today checking out basses when he picks up this nice Mustang.

We take turns playing it and we are really digging it. About 10 minutes later we discover it's a Mikey Way (My Chemical Romance) Signature Bass.

My friend immediately says 'oh wow, no way would I get this.'
    And I say 'I still really like it even though I hate myself for it. I would buy it an sand off his signature on the back and someday get a paint job on it.'

My friend replies that he wouldn't even do that.

So my question is, is it okay to dislike and not wish to support a bass based on who's Signature Bass it is?
    I know a lot of people hate on the Mark Hoppus bass, whereas I think he is underrated and it's a great bass. However, I hate the Flea bass because a) I just don't like playing it and b) I hate Flea.

So I'm sorta conflicted on the situation.

Wat do TB, Wat do?

2. rickenbaker

rickenbaker

Honestly I don't care whose name is on a bass. If I like it, I like it and will use it regardless if it has the features that I personally want. i wouldn't eve buy a bass specifically because it was somebody's signature but I wouldn't not buy it because it was their signature either as long as I liked it

Personally i like the modulus flea basses (even better than stingrays) because I like those basses. They could have called them anything else(and now do so) and I would still like them. i don't really care about whose name is on the headstock.

3. I<34080

I<34080

If it plays good and looks good, who cares what model it is?

4. rodl2005

rodl2005

You can do as u please, but, imo, a good bass is a good bass. I had a Reggie Hamilton sig jazz which was super. I'd not heard of RH prior to trying that bass.
    Isn't hating Flea up there with not liking Geddy or Jaco ?? ;D

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Mehve

Mehve

Once the musician is seen on stage in only a sock, he's no longer sancrosanct :p

7. bigmuff113

bigmuff113

If you like it, who cares?

8. kesslari

kesslari Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Bingo. I wouldn't buy a bass because it was someone's signature model. And I wouldn't "not buy" a bass because it was someone's signature model. If I like the bass, I like it.

9. Definitely

Definitely Banned

Not even close...Geddy and Jaco are a whole separate level...

10. Grateful

Grateful Supporting Member

As others have said: If it plays and sounds like you want, get it! 99% of non-bassists out there can't tell a P from a J from a T-Bird. You think they're gonna know (or care) it's a Mikey Way Signature Jag?

Some folks will buy a box with kite string if it's got their favorite bass players name on it. Others won't even consider a great bass if it's the same as someone they dislike. IMHO, both positions are very limiting.

11. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps
    All Gibson Les Pauls are sig models and guitarists don't seem to mind them. People are weird. But they're entitled to buy or not to buy for whatever dumb reason they can think of.

12. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I'm a Fuzzrocious-aholic. It's been one week since I bought my last Fuzzrocious pedal.
    If you make your decision by the name on the headstock instead of the quality of the bass, you are just as much of a sheep whether you do buy it because it has a famous name on it or you don't buy it because it has a famous name on it.

Think for yourself, you'll like it.

13. Exploiter8

Exploiter8 I'm no gynecologist but I'll take a look. Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Commercial FREE!
    I recently bought a used Peavey Zodiac because it was passive and had Quarter Pounders. Also came with a molded case for a great price. I later found it to be a Dave Eliphant or something like that sig model from some metal band. As long as the sig isn't Jerry Sandusky or similar I'm okay with it!

X8

[​IMG]

14. landau roof

landau roof Reupholstered User Supporting Member

I don't think it's sheepish to not want the signature of a musician-that-you-don't-like's on the headstock of your instrument.

But if I really, really felt the bass, I'd probably buy it anyway and sand off the sig unless there was another reasonable way to get the same features on a non-sig model.

15. vegas532

vegas532 Supporting Member

Myself and a fairly well known bassist friend of mine seem to agree that the Fender Geddy Lee is the best "bang for your buck" on the market, signature or not.

16. landau roof

landau roof Reupholstered User Supporting Member

You're friends with Geddy Lee? That's pretty cool. :p:D

17. IronLung1986

IronLung1986

signature basses are a total turnoff for me. doesn't really matter much if it plays good or looks good - i just don't want some other guy's name and legacy attached to my instrument. when you buy a bass you're also buying the story behind it, and i prefer my basses to have as little story as possible when i buy them. it helps me feel more connected to the instrument. it's the same reason i'm not real interested in used stuff. just new, regular stock basses for me. some people on here think that's ridiculous but oh well.

18. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps
    I wouldn't be sanding off the name on sig models. Sig models without the sig are always worth less when you go to sell them.

19. matante

matante

It's easy to say that it shouldn't matter and a good bass is a good bass. However, I think that there is a lot of emotion involved in making music, and even in choosing your musical equipment. Deciding to be a musician isn't exactly a rational decision and we shouldn't expect that all our gear purchases will be rational either.

When I was starting out and in high school the grunge seen was super trendy. It seemed like all the kids were into Nirvana and Pearl Jam except me. I hated those bands with a passion, and if I had walked into a music store looking to buy a bass, only to find that the one I liked was a signature model for one of those grunge rockers I would have said "F**k that!"

(I remember when Kurt Cobain died and all the girls were crying, I said "F**k that guy. Who cares?" That's how much I hated Nirvana.)

20. smcfarland1337

smcfarland1337 Supporting Member

Yeah that's why I'm conflicted.

I personally love the bass and would be just happy buying it and sanding the signature off.

But I do feel like it's crafted to his legacy, which isn't even a GOOD legacy to begin with. Also, do percentages of sales go to the musicians behind the signature models? I don't feel the need to support him either.

Either way, I'm with you guys, I'd probably just get the bass and be fine with it because I really enjoyed the instrument itself.

Also, I would never consider Flea on the same level as Jaco or Geddy. And that's not just because I don't like the guy (or his playing), I just wouldn't put him on the same level.

And I know how you feel, 'Nirvana / Pearl Jam hater'. My ex girlfriend loved grunge an I was always like 'most of that all sucks' and in fact, when I was picking up the Mustang I thought of Kurt Cobain and sighed a bit out loud haha!

21. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member

I wonder how many Gibson players really are fans of Les Paul.