1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Have any of you heard or owned of these ''rareish'' ibanez basses? (pics included)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bassman1Seb, Mar 10, 2012.

1. Bassman1Seb

Bassman1Seb

I own a 1986-1987 Ibanez rb-999 and wanted to see if any others on talk bass have owned or played these rare funny looking basses haha. I got it from my dad who said he'd let me have it if i fixed it up. So, a little re-wiring and soldering and boom, she sings! I like the tone that the bass gets, but personally the neck pickup is sometimes a little boomy for my liking :scowl: The bridge pickup gives me nice tight punchy tones that sound amazing when recorded. Oh also it's probably the best bass iv'e used for recording because of the dead quiet pickups and eq! no hiss or hum whatso ever even when hooked into pedals :bassist:

So if you've played or owned one of these basses let me know what you think of them :D

Attached Files:

2. meatwad

meatwad

I never owned one, but a guy I knew in the early 90's did, and it sounded pretty damn good, IMO. I love me some 80's Ibanez.

3. curbowkid

curbowkid Guest

I have never seen one before but it looks like ibanez took a swing at Warwick too ;)

4. Spleenface92

Spleenface92

That has got to be the most compact headstock I've ever seen. Do you have any more pics of it? I'd love to see a full shot of the front and back.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bassteban

bassteban

I suggest yet a better look at one- they're nothing like a Warwick(I like both, but I like the DK AND Celine Dion).

7. JPSBassist

JPSBassist

Spector
    BC Rich
    Fodera
    Gibson
    Steinberger Sound
    Status
    Rickenbacher

Just so that we're clear... these are the companies that Warwick has "borrowed" inspiration for its designs from.

Was your comment a suggestion that the Ibanez design in this thread was a borrowed design from Warwick?

If so, I find it rather interesting that you'd think anyone has borrowed anything from them... especially Ibanez, who has a very long history of innovative and original designs (since the 1950's).

I have nothing but respect for Ibanez's CEO, Mr. Toshitsugu Tanaka, whose reputation for integrity is well-established.

Just keeping it real.

And defending Ibanez. It's an insult to suggest that they'd "take a swing a Warwick" when in fact Warwick is the biggest swinger in the bass guitar marketplace today.

8. Darnell Jones

Darnell Jones Banned

The Bean Bass, Sting played one for a while.

9. Rano Bass

Rano Bass

Really???

Oh... i just realized you are a Spector fan ;)

And i like Spector basses.

10. eyeballkid

eyeballkid

Disclosures:
    Records of Existence/PyrE owner
    No animosity here or attachment to any brand, but reality is that in the early days of the 80s ibanez probably had to industry record for "lawsuit" basses for designs they blatantly copied. Its a matter of history that noone needs to take offense from. Some of them were quite awesome and the company today is rather innovative whether or not its ones particular brand of choice....I dig on old ibanez's even if ive never owned one.

11. garp

garp

I’ve played an RB888 and an RB999, but never owned either one. Terrific basses, IMHO. I was very tempted to grab a new RB999 back in the day, but ended up going with the RB850 instead, which I still own. The Ibanez Roadstar II series really had some great instruments.

12. James Hart

James Hart

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    great playing and sounding basses... I was very close to buying a grey one (revisited the store a few times, had cash in hand even) but couldn't get past the body size. I'm too big of a guy to wear that tiny of a body.

13. Johnny Alien

Johnny Alien Supporting Member

14. Johnny Alien

Johnny Alien Supporting Member

15. andreaska

andreaska

Unique body shape and nice to play, hast its own character. But for me no allround bass - actually I prefer my new Spector. :)

[​IMG]

16. nixdad

nixdad

I sold several of these to women back in the 80's. The body shape didn't get in the way of their natural endowments...

17. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

I recently sold one. The "Bean" bass. They are light, solidly built and sound great. The neck plays well, very smooth and fast. If you can find one in good shape you won't be sorry. The stock Ibanez pickups are very responsive with lots of low end.

I sold mine because I had bought it used and it was pretty beat up. I go tired of trying to get the neck to stay where I wanted it.

18. curbowkid

curbowkid Guest

Oh I know, I love ibanez and I love Warwick, simply a stupid comment :bag: it's just the body reminded me ALOT of a streamer

19. wraub

wraub

Disclosures:
    I'll have an IPA, please.
    I always liked the Bean bass, always considered it a cheaper budget alternative to the Steinberger, i.e. compact on stage and sounds good.

However, I do love my 2 RB885s...

wraub

20. ERIC31

ERIC31

I really want to get one of these basses. I'll have to check around in my area because I want to play one before I put down some cash. I'm imagining playing a gig for hours with no shoulder fatigue! =)

21. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

I am not that educated in my Ibanez and Warwick history, but I do know that only one of the mentioned companies has "lawsuit basses"...