1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

have I forgot any option? (bass combos)

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by bassman74, Dec 26, 2013.

1. bassman74

bassman74 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    soon to become reviewer and interviewer for EADG mag
    Hey guys,

before pulling the trigger on another combo, i want to make sure i have not forgot anything!!!

I am on a tight budget!

I had a fender bronco 40, i really liked its GK and Ampeg amp simulation but i've blown the speaker. So, i sold it for parts because i would blow other speakers because i'm pushing him too hard...

I had a BA-108 and 110, i liked them! but they are not producing enough volume and bass for my taste....

I have an ampeg BA-112, i do not like it, The ba-110 has better low-end, to me the ba-112 sounds hollow. I played it again for 3 hours today, and I could not get a tone that i really like....

Today i tried:
    GK MB-112, liked it but preferred the Traynor SB-112. The traynor had similar flavour but rounder and growlier....

I tried eden ec-10, ec-208, and ec-210, i liked them when played with a jazz bass but did not like their tone with a p-bass.

I tried a BG250-112 and 115. I prefer the 112 because it was tighter and with little bass boost was as deep as the 115. The 115 low was to loose for my taste.

Conclusion:
    1st choice: BG250-112, it sounds good, tone print were great and only 330$ on special
    2nd choice: traynor SB112, growly and tight but 120$ extra!!!

Have i forgot one brand? Any other suggestions? i need a tight and big sounding combo for cheap!

I know i'm asking too much :)

thanks for helping guys!

2. bassman74

Disclosures:
    Oh yeah, i forgot, i've been watching the local classified adds and could not find anything interesting and affordable....

3. Selta

Selta

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: EBMM
    Are you having volume issues at home, or in a band setting?

4. superfly8564

superfly8564

Did you try the GK MB210? I think used ones are going for $350ish. For the price, it's a monster.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bassman74

Disclosures:
    I had volume issue when practicing home with 2 friends guitarists. That is when i have busted my fender bronco. When i'm playing with a friend drummer, he has a 300 watt head and a 15'' cab so no problem there....

The problem is that i'm located in Quebec and the price on used market here is stupidly high here.

I haven't try the GK mb210, i wish i had found an affordable one up here...

7. Strat Hater

Strat Hater

I got a new GK MB 115 II today and it is awesome. Only paid $375 for it new, reg price is $575, so I am a happy boy

8. whitespikebass

whitespikebass Boy Orbision Supporting Member

9. Vcell

Vcell

10. bassman74

Disclosures:
    thanks Vcell but unfortunately the musician's friend doesn't ship GK stuff to Canada.

I have another option!!!!
    I have found a cheap 15" cab locally so i can buy a micro bass head for now and upgrade the cab in the future.

Here are my options:
    TC electronics BG250-112 (which sounds great but i haven't tried it with a band) (345$)
    or
    GK mb200 with the used tray nor 15'' cab i've found locally ( 430$)
    or
    Ampeg pf350 with the same used cab (450$)

Don't know what to do....
    i will probably go try the head tomorrow....

any comments?

Oh yeah! which one is the most reliable? they all seem to have reliability issues?

11. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    I recently picked up a used Ampeg BA500 in excellent condition for $300. It solid state but sounds great, has plenty of power and you can use an extension cabinet with it.

12. bassman74

Disclosures:
    I tried and liked some of the ampeg high wattage combos in the past but i've read horror stories about their reliability. The only ampeg combo i might grab
    is a B110r, but there are none available locally...

13. tribbledaniel

tribbledaniel

Hello bassman74. Fellow Montrealer here. I hear what you say about the "used" market around here! Guys wanna sell their beat up crap for full value!?! I have and would not recommend a Fender Rumble 150. It has a 15" speaker but it's way too loose to the point of creating(to my ears anyway) some kind of weird echo. I tried a Rumble 350 which has 2 10" drivers and it was tighter. I haven't seen one on kijiji or craigslist lately but as soon as I sell/dump my Rumble 150 I might go for one. I don't know what part of the Island you live on but you should try Diplomate Music on Beaubien. They are now stuck with a lot of discontinued gear from Fender and SWR so you might be able to swing yourself a good deal. They also TC Electronic stuff. Good Luck and happy new year.

14. Mechanical

Mechanical

15. 5port

5port

16. southpaw723

southpaw723

ACOUSTIC! They make some good affordable stuff. I love my b100 combo. I can be heard with a pretty loud drummer in rehearsal.

17. tribbledaniel

tribbledaniel

Very hard to find in Canada let alone Quebec. Most everyone I know that has Acoustic stuff had to buy it in the US and get it shipped here. Now add shipping costs and import fees and you're out of the " affordable" zone!!

18. jmcorn

jmcorn Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Praise and Worship bassist member #1232
    I just picked up a Traynor small block 115. Sounds really good and its made in Canada!

19. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings

20. southpaw723

southpaw723

I didn't know they weren't widely availible in Canada. That sucks. Guitarcenter isn't exactly reasonable on their shipping costs for used items either. That's a shame.

21. bassman74

Disclosures:
    Traynor sb combos are awesome and IMHO sounds better than gk Mb combos