1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is still pending approval by Apple. If you haven't yet, try using your mobile browser - TalkBass is responsive to any screen size.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

have I forgot any option? (bass combos)

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by bassman74, Dec 26, 2013.

1. bassman74

bassman74 Supporting Member

Hey guys,

before pulling the trigger on another combo, i want to make sure i have not forgot anything!!!

I am on a tight budget!

I had a fender bronco 40, i really liked its GK and Ampeg amp simulation but i've blown the speaker. So, i sold it for parts because i would blow other speakers because i'm pushing him too hard...

I had a BA-108 and 110, i liked them! but they are not producing enough volume and bass for my taste....

I have an ampeg BA-112, i do not like it, The ba-110 has better low-end, to me the ba-112 sounds hollow. I played it again for 3 hours today, and I could not get a tone that i really like....

Today i tried:
    GK MB-112, liked it but preferred the Traynor SB-112. The traynor had similar flavour but rounder and growlier....

I tried eden ec-10, ec-208, and ec-210, i liked them when played with a jazz bass but did not like their tone with a p-bass.

I tried a BG250-112 and 115. I prefer the 112 because it was tighter and with little bass boost was as deep as the 115. The 115 low was to loose for my taste.

Conclusion:
    1st choice: BG250-112, it sounds good, tone print were great and only 330$ on special
    2nd choice: traynor SB112, growly and tight but 120$ extra!!!

Have i forgot one brand? Any other suggestions? i need a tight and big sounding combo for cheap!

I know i'm asking too much :)

thanks for helping guys!
  2. bassman74

Oh yeah, i forgot, i've been watching the local classified adds and could not find anything interesting and affordable....
  3. Selta

Selta

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: EBMM
    Are you having volume issues at home, or in a band setting?
  4. superfly8564

superfly8564

Did you try the GK MB210? I think used ones are going for $350ish. For the price, it's a monster.
  5. bassman74

I had volume issue when practicing home with 2 friends guitarists. That is when i have busted my fender bronco. When i'm playing with a friend drummer, he has a 300 watt head and a 15'' cab so no problem there....

The problem is that i'm located in Quebec and the price on used market here is stupidly high here.

I haven't try the GK mb210, i wish i had found an affordable one up here...
  6. Strat Hater

Strat Hater

I got a new GK MB 115 II today and it is awesome. Only paid $375 for it new, reg price is $575, so I am a happy boy
  7. whitespikebass

whitespikebass

8. Vcell

Vcell

9. bassman74

thanks Vcell but unfortunately the musician's friend doesn't ship GK stuff to Canada.

I have another option!!!!
    I have found a cheap 15" cab locally so i can buy a micro bass head for now and upgrade the cab in the future.

Here are my options:
    TC electronics BG250-112 (which sounds great but i haven't tried it with a band) (345$)
    or
    GK mb200 with the used tray nor 15'' cab i've found locally ( 430$)
    or
    Ampeg pf350 with the same used cab (450$)

Don't know what to do....
    i will probably go try the head tomorrow....

any comments?

Oh yeah! which one is the most reliable? they all seem to have reliability issues?
  10. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender and Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    I recently picked up a used Ampeg BA500 in excellent condition for $300. It solid state but sounds great, has plenty of power and you can use an extension cabinet with it.
  11. bassman74

I tried and liked some of the ampeg high wattage combos in the past but i've read horror stories about their reliability. The only ampeg combo i might grab
    is a B110r, but there are none available locally...
  12. tribbledaniel

tribbledaniel

Hello bassman74. Fellow Montrealer here. I hear what you say about the "used" market around here! Guys wanna sell their beat up crap for full value!?! I have and would not recommend a Fender Rumble 150. It has a 15" speaker but it's way too loose to the point of creating(to my ears anyway) some kind of weird echo. I tried a Rumble 350 which has 2 10" drivers and it was tighter. I haven't seen one on kijiji or craigslist lately but as soon as I sell/dump my Rumble 150 I might go for one. I don't know what part of the Island you live on but you should try Diplomate Music on Beaubien. They are now stuck with a lot of discontinued gear from Fender and SWR so you might be able to swing yourself a good deal. They also TC Electronic stuff. Good Luck and happy new year.
  13. Mechanical

Mechanical

14. 5port

5port

15. southpaw723

southpaw723

ACOUSTIC! They make some good affordable stuff. I love my b100 combo. I can be heard with a pretty loud drummer in rehearsal.
  16. tribbledaniel

tribbledaniel

Very hard to find in Canada let alone Quebec. Most everyone I know that has Acoustic stuff had to buy it in the US and get it shipped here. Now add shipping costs and import fees and you're out of the " affordable" zone!!
  17. jmcorn

jmcorn Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Praise and Worship bassist member #1232
    I just picked up a Traynor small block 115. Sounds really good and its made in Canada!
  18. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender and Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
  19. southpaw723

southpaw723

I didn't know they weren't widely availible in Canada. That sucks. Guitarcenter isn't exactly reasonable on their shipping costs for used items either. That's a shame.
  20. bassman74

Traynor sb combos are awesome and IMHO sounds better than gk Mb combos