Have T.V. Commercials Made You....

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by ZenG, Feb 12, 2014.

1. ZenG

ZenG

ever actually buy anything.....?

Without word of a lie I can say that in all the years I've watched t.v. there isn't a single thing I've ever bought because it was in a commercial......ever.

For me....when I see inane stupid t.v. commercials I go out of my way NOT to buy the product.....

Like right now for instance I find the Juicy-Fruit Gum commercials to be so moronic that when I buy gum I deliberately buy some other brand......

And I deliberately didn't buy a Mazda when I bought a new vehicle because I hate and detest their Zoomzoom ads.
  2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Yes, they influence me to purchase items.

-Mike
  3. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

Some make me buy, some make me never buy.
  4. tplyons

tplyons

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Milk

Milk Supporting Member

I'd say no and in general be right but id be lying a little. It introduced me to new products i thought i might want to try. But that's rare and to be fair, id have ended up seeing them in store anyway if i hadn't seen them on tv. The last thing i can remember is when they introduced chocolate philadelphia cheese spread. I saw it and thought, i should try that. I'm pretty sure all the ads that ever made me aware of products which led to me trying them were all food stuff.

Anyway, i have to say i have very low tolerance for ads, what i mean is, i hate abouy 100% of them concept wise. Unlike most people who hate about 98%. Some are inoffensive sure but there's rarely something not stupid about any commercial. Pretty much 100% of those that try the funny approach just infuriate me anyway. Their funny is not my funny, that's plain to see.

The latest make me want to punch my tv commercial is the Belvita breakfast biscuits one. With the girl singing the little stupid song.
  7. phatcyclist

phatcyclist

I would never have known about my green ceramic skillet if I hadn't seen it on TV.
  8. bassteban

bassteban

IIRC, never- but from the billions poured into advertising, I'd have to guess that there are lots of people who do...
  9. shadowtippy

shadowtippy

I am usually pushed away from products by their commercials. In rare instances, I may see something new and want it.
  10. SnowCal

SnowCal

If you talked to advertisers they'd tell you that you probably have and just don't realize it.
  11. vin*tone

vin*tone

I make TV ads for a living. We get figures back on bookings and sales .... and yes, they work. Clients get spikes when we run ads.

I should add though - TV ads aren't just to advertise a specific product they are also to raise brand awareness and make them "top of mind" when people think of a product.
  12. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

Not really. Occasionally one will inform me of something that I'd like to try, but they are never the deciding factor in me making a purchase. I'll still read reviews or will see if the price of the good matches the value added to my life.
  13. skwee

skwee

I was influenced by the gecko at one point in my career...
  14. Duuuuuuuuuude

Duuuuuuuuuude

Yeah! I bought a Magic Bullet blender and this spring I'm totally buying one of those garden hoses that shrinks up when there's no water in them
  15. TolerancEJ

TolerancEJ

Yes and no. Depends on the product or service being advertised. When I'm hungry, some of the food/restaurant ads make my mouth water.
  16. line6man

line6man

OMG! This is exactly how I feel. I thought I was the only one.:hyper:

However, here's a thought. What if all of these horrible commercials are actually being run by competitors as a reverse-psychology scheme to steer you toward their products, when you avoid what was advertised?
  17. Frozen J

Frozen J

Yeah, they influenced me to stop watching TV. You can take this cable and shove it!
  18. Monster Truck

Monster Truck Supporting Member

I used to buy Mentos all the time. Then stopped buying them in the early/mid 90's when they had those idiotic commercials.

I've never bought anything from Old Navy either because of their commercials.
  19. ShredderMaximus

ShredderMaximus

I've had a few late nights where I was hungry and trying to decide whether or not to go to Taco Bell, and I'll see an ad on TV that'll be enough to push me over the edge. Doesn't even necessarily need to be a TB ad, just anything with delicious looking food.
  20. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Funny--I never bothered trying Mentos until those dorky commercials came out. :)

Aside from that, I find most ads so inane that I would not treat them as anything but noise. Mute button activate! And mostly I avoid broadcast TV anyway, just to avoid commercials.
  21. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Bass gear is never advertised on TV so no...

New car, yeah right...

I don't eat junk food...

Maybe if I was in the market for a discounted vacuum cleaner I would pay attention. Godfrey's has a leg up I guess.

The occasional supermarket special is of interest.

Wheedle would be great if everyone would use it. Go Wheedle!