Have the micro amps killed the resale of non micro rigs?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by armybass, Mar 18, 2014.

1. armybass

armybass Roscoe and Bluesman Vintage Basses Gold Supporting Member

Now I know the economy sucks so we will leave that fact aside.... but I have had to all but give some of my older gear away IF I can sell it at all. I am seeing lots of "heavier" older amps for sale and not moving at all. I have a few older but nice SWR combos that I have priced very well to allow for a quick sale but with little to no luck. I guess that not only are the micro heads, smaller, lighter and just as good if not better than the older heavy stuff.... most of them sell for very very reasonable prices. I guess I might have some amps that I may not be able to sell for a foreseeable while.
  2. Jaco who?

Jaco who?

Amp resale value has always pretty much sucked anyway. If the micros have made regular class A/B stuff bottom out a little bit sooner, that's fine by me, I'm sort of a bottom feeder.
  3. Interceptor

Interceptor Supporting Member

The weight threshold for easy selling does seem to have dropped significantly, and it is darn hard to sell many of the classic products due to weight.

This puzzles me. There are a boatload of really good sounding pieces that weigh over ten pounds. That, and how many times have we all seen fine quality featherweight gear that never has been gigged in the classifieds?
  4. bass5str

bass5str Supporting Member

@ army

i was wondering this myself. i noticed we both had our swr's priced what i thougt was competitively yet seemed to linger for a long time.

i think that as the tech get better (and smaller) we will see a percentage of us move that way as we get older (and hit physical limitations).

i also believe that good gear = good gear and many of us know some of the older and at times heavier gear has a vibe all it's own so it will never fully go out of style so to speak :cool:
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. swamp_bass

swamp_bass I love it when a groove comes together Supporting Member

I think it's actually two factors: The lightweight minis, and the cheaper prices of new amps being mass produced offshore.
  7. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Gold Supporting Member

Size is more an issue for me than weight alone because I like having my head tossable in a gig bag.
  8. Jim C

Jim C Supporting Member

I disagree to some degree.
    I think it's all about desirability
    SVT's and older GK's hold their value.
    Older Acoustic amps (I had a 370 and a 450) which made very little power at 8 ohms sell for a lot due to nostalgia.
    I have a SWR SM400 that is worth nothing although very powerful, huge tonal shaping abilities, and extremely reliable.

OTOH people like lightweight.
    I have missed out on 4 separate GK400RB's at what I consider a fair price for a 200 watt amp ($200).
    After missing another on Gear Tree (that I should have bought yesterday for $225) I got so frustrated today that I ordered a new MB500. It cost the same as a new 400 RB and $100 less than the 700RB.
    Power is cheap these days.
    Just hope I like the tone.
  9. Boot Soul

Boot Soul

Lead sled power amps like Crest CA series or Crown MacroTechs can be had pretty cheap now. A younger player who can carry the weight can get a great used rack mount rig pretty cheap.

And I dont see SVTs holding value unless they are 80s era or older. I tried to sell an SVT-II in good shape with a recent cap job and good NOS/new tubes for $900 for almost a year with only lowball (< $700) offers. So I just kept it, and it's now on loan in a friend's home studio, much to his liking. An 85 pound amp is a hard sell these days. Yet somehow, GC sells new SVT-II Pro amps, that are not as good as the non-pro SVT-IIs, for $1800?
  10. armybass

I agree... I never thought I would be selling an SWR Redhead for $600 and have NO BITES at all. I paid $800 for it two years ago and thought I got a deal. I know it is a great amp and honestly would rather hold onto it than sell it for that because things are pretty cyclical and it will prob be a hip amp that some one will be after sometime down the road. Still, this is a great time to be a young bass player with not a lot of dough. You can get a killer rig for peanuts compared to what we had to fork out.
  11. Linnin

Linnin

I ended up giving away a Tech21 Landmark 60 (60watt 110 combo) to a needy young bass player because I couldn't sell it for $100 obo. It even took me awhile to find a suitable recipient. Greedy folks I could find by the car load, a truely needy person took some hunting.
  12. Britbonic

Britbonic Supporting Member

FWIW on the GK's I have a MB800 and recently had a 400RB added to my rehearsal space as the house amp. I took them both home for some AB testing and it terms of the base level sound (all tone control at noon, no filters, similar preamp/vol levels) could not tell the difference between them. I had some notion that the 400RB would somehow sound better or have more headroom or fuller bass or something but that was not the case.
  13. Baird6869

Baird6869 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Nobody is stupid enough to actually pay me to play their gear.
    Other issue is that the older and heavier gear is a b!tch physically and financially to ship. No point selling a great amp for a few hundred bucks if shipping is $75-100 and it costs you $$$ for shipping materials and time/gas.

I pulled my Crown XTI2000 from the classifieds as I couldn't bother to sell and deal with shipping it for under $300. I would rather keep it as a backup to my backup.
  14. wilberthenry

wilberthenry

I play at a friends house who has a sweet sounding, but HUGE Trace Elliot rig. He keeps trying to get me to buy it, but I look at the size of the thing and there is no way I could gig with it (plus I still get to use it when I go to his place).
  15. ultra60

ultra60

Was in GC the other day. They have a new SVT-CL marked down to $1299. I'm guessing the days of big, heavy amps are coming to an end.
  16. Swerve

Swerve

Yeah I'll take my 4lb tc electronic bh250 any day over those heavy monsters. Been there, done that. Lugging around heavy equipment is pretty much the worst part about gigging, for me at least.
  17. armybass

Same here.... fortunately I have an 18 year old son who is a gigging bass player and subs for me. He has gotten some pretty nice gear handed down that way.

When I could not get rid if a SWR 410 I gave it and a head to a local female bass player who was starting out. I would rather give stuff to folks who appreciate it than get low balled by guys who know better but just want to see how far they can get you down when you are already $200 lowere than it should be.
  18. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    HPF Technology: Protecting the Pocket since 2007
    Cost of shipping?
  19. mccartneyman

mccartneyman

Disclosures:
    Managing Editor, Bass Guitars Editor, MusicGearReview.com
    If lightweight, powerful, good sounding heads and cabs had been available 40 years ago, I still think people would have bought the big rigs because PA support 40 years ago was not what it is today. But I don't know why anyone over 30 would want to haul around an SVT today.
  20. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

No..... not completely "yet".
  21. DogBone

DogBone

That's a great point.

As much as bass amp technology is getting better, PA equipment is too.

I see it in my own band, and in the other small local bands I interact with.

When I got back into playing bass 7 or 8 years ago, I intended on building that big setup I dreamed of when I was a kid. Problem is I no longer need anything close to it for myself. My monster head is covered up in my basement, I don't even own any cabs for it anymore.

The festivals we play at all have kick-azz PAs now, and even our own little PA setup we use at small to medium venues does everything we ask of it and it's small and relatively easy to setup and teardown.

I'm down to just a couple of small combos now, and the way things keep going I'll be ampless in a few years. Maybe. :p