Have things ever moved in slo mo for you?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by slobake, Feb 3, 2014.

1. slobake

slobake Supporting Member

I was headed for the Bay Bridge once when I lost control of my truck. I was headed towards the guard rail and knew if I went over the side the long drop would kill me for sure.
    Everything seemed to slow down for me. I was able to react very quickly and it probably saved my life. I remembered it seemed like a slow motion section from a movie.
    I am sure there is a rational explanation for this and there is probably someone here who knows what that explanation is.
    Has this ever happened to you?
  2. DwaynieAD

DwaynieAD

quit using cheat codes.
  3. tplyons

tplyons

Yes, once or twice.
  4. SamanthaCay

SamanthaCay

Once I was driving down a steep gravel hill where at the bottom the road turned to pavement and veered ever so slightly to the left in its transition to pavement.
    Past that there was a long stretch of straight road with a massive drop off to the left side.

I was doing 90 + in my beat up ‘90 Toyota Camry with lots of play in its steering and as usual I hit the gravel/pavement transition on the far right side as to avoid several pot holes that were there.

I’d done this many times (this was a regular route for me) only this time I went a little too far.
    My front right tire snagged the edge of the road and sent me sliding sideways down the stretch of straight pavement, sliding mostly in line with the road but moving towards the drop off on the left side.

Fortunately through some massive left then right over steer I was able to pull the car back in line just missing the drop.

Throughout all of that I do not recall experiencing slow-mo, however I did eat some Psilocybin mushrooms once and most definitely experienced this in a very apparent way from that.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

A few times whilst under the influence of psychotropics. Never in a near death situation.
  7. philvanv

philvanv Gerbil Turds, Kitsap County Turd Core

Disclosures:
    and at the bottom it says thank you, and now you can **** off
    And a few others fun chemicals as a kid.
  8. mellowinman

mellowinman Perfect for Breaking the Ice at Naughty Parties Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    My two dogs are killing my wife's favorite cat, and I'm running towards them, to stop them. N-------O-----------O------!!!!! I'm shouting, as my legs are churning through the thick air, moving like in a dream as the little kitty is floating above Gunnar's head.
  9. Milk

Milk Supporting Member

I assume the kitty died? :-\

I had a dog as a kid, found some cat that just had a litter in the wild. He was a good non aggressive mellow dog, he killed them all all the same. I understand it's just... nature..but..for a couple of weeks after i had trouble liking him.

Anyway, as for the topic, no never happened to me that i can remember unless im forgetting something. I never was in a near death experience. Either my own or someone else, that might explain it.
  10. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Yes. I think it's a survival mechanism. It's happened to me a few times, the most notable was during a fight.
  11. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Nope. Never.

-Mike
  12. bassteban

bassteban

In the DMV
  13. slobake

slobake Supporting Member

:p:p:p FTW
  14. bassteban

bassteban

Thank you sir. :D
    More on-topic/seriously, I've been in a near-certain death traffic situation once or twice but it didn't last very long- not long enough for this mechanism to kick in
  15. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Supporting Member

I actually do have a memory like this. My family was traveling in Germany and I was about 12 or 13 years old. We were walking down teh street in Munich and I was rushing ahead of the rest of my family, as I often did in those days. The street went around a curve, and this flatbed truck carrying bricks or cinder blocks or something came around the bend too fast, and a bunch of the cargo went flying off it. My mom screamed and I had this frozen-in-time moment as all this masonry hit the pavement all around me and exploded, sending fragments through the air by my head. It was all over in a second, I didn't get a scratch, and the truck zoomed on around the bend out of sight, but for that brief moment time just seemed to go in slo mo.
  16. jugglingfreak

jugglingfreak

Everytime my fingers left the car door while simultaniously realizing that my keys are still in there.
  17. f.c.geil

f.c.geil I'm your huckleberry... Supporting Member

Media:
    Yes, and in a very similar situation. I was going... let's say 55, since that's the speed limit on this road... down a dirt road on my motorcycle, when a deer jumped out of the cornfield (no right of way, corn right up to the road). I remember thinking, wow, that's a really nice buck. 1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8 points. Oh, sh!t, this is going to hurt! I grabbed a fistful of brake, clamped on to the bike, released the brake and snapped open the throttle (this is exactly what you should do when about to hit an animal on a motorcycle, btw) and woke up 45 minutes later. I got up and walked away with only a concussion and severe bruising. No broken bones or lacerations.

Anyway, the reason for the effect is a rush of adrenaline. This is part of the "fight or flight" reflex, and it helps you sort out your options in time, as well as getting your muscles pumped up to do whatever you decide you're going to do.
  18. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

That happened to you too :D

once when I was a kid and had my first car I lost control on some ice and got stuck in the snowbank at T in the road, wouldnt ya know the next car to come along did the same thing, saw it comin, seemed like it took a minute to get there, coming coming coming...........still coming, than BAM !!!
  19. Truktek2

Truktek2

Yep. It's happened to me a couple of times. Once when I was being chased by a stray dog.

I believe (and someone correct me if I'm wrong), that when someone is in a very stressful situation, the body releases a bunch of adrenaline as a defense mechanism. Your senses get more acute, your heart races, and time appears to be moving slower.
  20. drummer5359

drummer5359 Gold Supporting Member

When I was a boy my mom told me the story of how her father died. He was struck and killed by a car while crossing the street. The impact was so great that it knocked his shoes off.

On March 22nd, 2001 a "gentleman" in a truck missed an exit and swung across three lanes, striking me on my motorcycle and crushing most of the bones in my left arm and leg. As I was flying through the air everything slowed down. I realized that my left shoe was knocked off in the impact. When I realized that the shoe was gone I remembered my mom's story and figured that "this was the end".
  21. Rodent

Rodent

Disclosures:
    Player/Builder/Founder: Regenerate Guitar Works
    yup - driving home from NAMM last week. in the wee hours of the AM in pouring rain, driving N on I-5 in southern Oregon - the famous 45MPH corner ...

midway thru the corner the big semi next to me crosses into my lane and comes within an inch or two of making contact with me. in slo-mo I jam my brakes enough to slow but not so much to spin out on the corner and under his trailer, and just when I think he's going to make contact he suddenly jerks back into his lane an the trailer starts to tip

thankfully I was on the inside lane against the barricade and the corner turns to the left, as there was enough inertia to right the trailer instead of it tilting over on us. needless to say we were all awake for the remainder of the drive north to Seattle

just the most recent of many occasions

R