have you bought a bass on looks alone?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by wrench45us, Dec 19, 2013.

1. wrench45us

wrench45us

Have you ever bought a bass on looks alone?

Youthful exuberance coupled with ignorance OR
    should have known better?

Did it work out or was it chalked up to experience...
  2. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

Schecter stiletto custom 4 in natural. Absolutely gorgeous bass, but always sounded meh and felt meh. kept it for a couple years, but decided it wasn't for me

[​IMG]

took this family shot a month before i sold her. that's her on the far right underneath my vic firth rudiments poster
  3. elBandito

elBandito

It's always about the looks first.
  4. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Supporting Member

Sure! I've bought a LOT of things based on looks alone. But if they don't function as well as look good, they're usually not kept around very long.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Mennolineum

Mennolineum

I actualy bought my warwick Corvette because of the looks, it was suggested by a mate who knows what way i wanted to go so i Just bought it (back then mainly because of the looks) after that it grew big time on me and still is my fav bass, tho i am trying lot of different stuff to see If something is better suiting my needs.. till now this spontanious buy was my best
  7. Chad Michael

Chad Michael

Yes, my very first was a beauty with a red body, white pickguard, and maple fretboard.

It was just soooo.... hot :cool:

fwiw - it was a Fender Bullett (U.S.A.) 30" scale
  8. Technotitclan

Technotitclan Lurking TB from work

My first bass, Squier MB4. It was the only bass in the tiny guitar shop that was in my price range that didn't look like a Fender which was pretty much my only criteria at the time. Kinda ironic that I wanted a non Fender and ended up with one anyway. As far as how it panned out.. I still have it and every time I use it I discover its an even better bass than I thought it was. Just used it to record actually. Been somewhere around 10 years since I bought it and if I had to thin my heard that's the one I'd keep.
  9. ack

ack Supporting Member

Every time I saw one of these in a store, I wanted to buy it on looks alone.
  10. chubfarm2001

chubfarm2001 Supporting Member

Yep. My first big purchase actually. Warwick Thumb Broadneck 6. Bought it off eBay on a whim, never even played a Warwick before that, and it ended up being my baby for the past 11 years.
  11. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS * Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    No. Looks have contributed of course, sometimes it has even been what got me interested in the first place, but it has never been the only or even most important factor. I've always followed up with reading reviews and listening to recordings online.
  12. Thrash3r

Thrash3r

No, looks attract me to a bass but it plays or sound crap, I'm not interested.
  13. Bo0tsy

Bo0tsy

Yep both my basses were on looks alone. The first was a Washburn Bootsy Space Bass so was definitely about the looks, but fortunately it sounds great too, whilst my Warwick Corvette $$ I got off eBay also on a whim because I like the maple custom shop finish - never played a Warwick before this either, but I love the tone and is the first bass I'll play with.
  14. SeanNeedham

SeanNeedham

Yes, once... A Squier Jazz of the same age, same model as I'd already got two of. And it was the bad egg of the batch.

Classic case of familiarity breeding contempt.
  15. dalkowski

dalkowski

Bought a used Bongo 4HH several years ago for the look AND I wanted to own an EBMM. Great bass, but preamp too hot for my simple tastes. It's gone to a good home with another TBer. I still love the look and I'd consider a Bongo 5er someday, just to have an active bass in my stable.

Bought a used Epi Allen Woody last year b/c I love the look. Put a Hipshot bridge and LaBella flats on it and it's becoming my main player for thumpy thounds.
  16. vibro

vibro

Just the opposite for me. I bought a Corvette because of the way it felt, didn't even hear it first. I usually go for the classic styles like a jazz or stingray but this thing feels so good! I don't like to look at it as much as I like to play it but that's the point isn't it?
  17. bbao

bbao

My white epiphone SG was based on looks alone. The sound did sound nice but it wasn't for me until I upgraded both pickups and hardware.
  18. PimasterPearson

PimasterPearson

A few years ago I came really close to buying a Traben based on its looks. I'm glad I changed my mind. They're not bad basses, just not for me.
  19. CraigTB

CraigTB Supporting Member

Yep. My first nice bass was a G&L ASAT. Ended up being a bad choice for me. Too heavy, I didn't like the way it hung because of the missing top horn, and the array of controls were kind of bewildering to me at the time (as a relative newbie). I fought it valiantly for a couple of years because I loved the way it looked and sounded, but eventually the weight got too much and I replaced it with a P-bass.

I still love G&Ls and now that I have more experience I love the pickup/control layout of the L2Ks & ASATs.
  20. electracoyote

electracoyote

A couple of times. It seems that it usually involved my tech and me expending enormous amounts of time, effort, and money to make them play and sound decent. Sometimes I ended up with a very unique player, other times I ended up with a very unique money pit.
  21. Thedeadking

Thedeadking Supporting Member

I have twice. I bought a Westone Rail bass cause I thought they looked cool and it turned out to be a really good sounding and playing bass. I sold it though cause I wanted cash for something else. I also have a Pepto- Pink Warlock which I love and gets me more attention than any bass I ever owned. My daughter has laid claim to it.