1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

have you ever been kicked out of your own band?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Icey101, Oct 25, 2012.

1. Icey101

Icey101

just wondering have you ever started up your own band become the BL and down the track got kicked out by the others?

2. Flyingfrets

Flyingfrets

Yes.

Was there something more specific you wanted to know?

3. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    I started a band with several friends in 1980. I even named the band. In 1981, they asked me to leave for no apparent reason. One month later, they asked me to re-join. I did and we ended up gigging 5 nights per week for almost 4 years. We are all still good friends.

4. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

I started a band and 3/5 of the members started working together on the side without me, so I fired them and said they could go have their own band.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

no, but i quit a band i started. ;)

7. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

I have to say no, but a shrewd BL should own the rights to the name as soon as possible.

8. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Kohlman Bassworks
    Technically, yes. I was a co-founder.

9. woody357

woody357

Yes, back in the 70s I lost my spot to a friend that had better eq, and talked a good game! The band asked me to come back after playing two weeks with him!!!! Hahahaha

10. mcapote

mcapote

yup and they are back to being a garage band :bassist:

11. mboogiemanusa

mboogiemanusa

Yes ...a few times. Recently 3 members quit a band I started because they said they were too busy to continue......a few months later I get an e-mail that they have found a wonderful new opportunity and hope that I would come out to support them. It was basically the same band playing the same cover songs with a new bass player under a new name. I came to the gig to give my support and they bombed.....no applause no dancers nothing ....room full of silence. No lights, No good PA , No banner, No stage presence, No buzz, No promotion.....bass player playing thru a little practice amp. They did the one gig and folded. The fact that I was there checking them out and the show did not go over very well was a sore point ......a couple of my former band mates wouldn't come with in 25 ft of me to say Hi. My thoughts are that they quit so that the band could go from a 5 piece to a 4 piece so they would make extra money. Not really taking any enjoyment from the fact that they bombed because they were nice people and I enjoyed our time together.....just realizing this little thing called Karma that pops up every now and then. Not saying that I don't enjoy sending Facebook invites to them when ever one of my other projects is playing a great venue somewhere that they could have been playing.

12. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    I should have also mentioned that the band broke up in 1984. We got back together in 2001 and I quickly realized that we were going to have the same old problems with the drummer trying ti be a dictator. I quit and ended up joining a great band, did a lot of touring and got to meet some great people.

13. Corbeau

Corbeau

Yes. How they did it was a bit low, they texted me that they wanted me out. I would have preferred if they said it to me face-to-face, and I was also told by the drummer that the other members had been bitching about me behind my back for months. So, in a way I was glad that I was out of the band, but the way things went down left a bad taste in my mouth.

14. kikstand454

kikstand454 Supporting Member

Yes.
    I started a metal band in higschool, senior year (for me) with a bassist. I played rhythm guitar. We found a great drummer with a musician dad, so we had equipment and rehearsal space.
    We went through some singers, some lead guitarists and then the other two started partying more than I did....and next thing I know...I'm 'replaced ' by the newest lead guy.
    It hurt my feelings at the time, and ruined at least one good friendship.

However...... they kept plugging along playing at the house and the occasional show, and getting high, and I went on to be in multiple bands and playing pretty consistantly for the next 20 or so years. So.............hey...........worked out for the best huh?

15. RotoSwinger

RotoSwinger

I got kicked out of a band I had created with a singer friend of mine back in the mid-90's. He ended up going nowhere with the rest of the guys, not a single gig after he left. Our drummer sucked and lived too far away so he was essentially out anyways and our guitarist had other interests. There really wasn't much for him to "take".

I do it smart now, I co-created the band i'm currently in, and we play in my basement.

16. vegas532

vegas532 Supporting Member

I've been kicked out of a band I co-founded for no reason, and I also quit a band I co-founded because the "recreational aspect" of the other 3 members reached a point of NOTHING getting done!!

17. MNAirHead

MNAirHead

Yes... was kind of funny.

I was super glad to move on... they were super shocked at what they had to do.... how little it paid... and what it took.

Tim

18. RichardCranium

RichardCranium Supporting Member

Same happened to me I just walked out do to the lack of motivation, bad attitudes and the unacceptable amount of substance consumption. Left them both hanging and didn't feel the least bit bad about it

19. StereoPlayer

StereoPlayer

20. two fingers

two fingers You tahkin 'uh me? Yeah, you. You tahkin 'uh me? Supporting Member

Yep. Same story as many others here. The "grass was greener" until THEY had to book gigs, motivate themselves, and put up with the new guy. I went on to play on the road for a couple of decades. They never picked up their instruments after that band crashed and burned shortly after I left. Funny thing is they are all miserable to this day (not that I wished any of that on them). None of them have good family lives or even a decent job. Karma I guess even though a band is not all that big a deal in the big scheme of things. But if they treated me like that, odds are I'm not the only one.

21. mellowinman

mellowinman Guaranteed to break the Ice at Naughty Parties Supporting Member

As much of a pain in the ass as I am, I have never been kicked out of a band.