1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Have You Ever Gone Back To "Your Old School"?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by ZenG, Jan 26, 2014.

1. ZenG

ZenG

Ever gone back to your old school?

Any early school that you went to...and then didn't see it for years....

What were your impressions?

I have been to a couple (we moved a lot)....and the feeling was really strange......a totally different perspective.....
  2. Phalex

Phalex Yeah, I've got the moves like Jagger. Supporting Member

I'm so old school that they tore down my elementary / middle school.

I saw Suessical the Musical in the auditorium of my old high school last year. (My old sound guy was doing sound). I had no memory of that room other than freshman orientation. It was kinda brand new in a déjà vu kinda way. I spent the majority of my time in the lower levels shoveling coal......
  3. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

I'm from a fairly small town, so have passed them.

My old primary school (equivilant to elementary in the US) was a nice big old building though is no longer a school and is currently sitting boarded up.

High school (we generally don't have middle schools) has been done and built on, so it all looks quite different. Don't miss it, but there are plenty good memories.
  4. Mike N

Mike N Supporting Member

I drove past my old grade school a few years ago and was surprised to see they had put an addition on where my old first grade room used to be. I instantly wondered what happened to the tree that was planted outside the first grade window..... you see, when I was in first grade my friend and classmate David died of a heart attack and we (the first grade class) had planted a tree outside our window and placed a plaque there in his memory. I saw no tree and no plaque and it actually made me kind of sad. I realize that David passed in 1972 but still, what's up with that? To this day I still have the newspaper obituary notice for him.
  5. JimB52

JimB52 User Gold Supporting Member

My Elemtary school is now the Town offices. I walked through a few months back while on a trip through the area, but the rooms have all been redone and it didn't feel like a school.
    Have never gone back to the Junior HS. What a hell-hole
    Been back to the HS alma mater a few times. Looks much better than I remembered, mostly because they spent many tens of millions rehabbing it.
  6. RxFunk

RxFunk

Why is your old school in quotes?
  7. Milk

Milk Supporting Member

Well i see them (both grade schools and my high school) everytime i go back home (about 4 times a years nowadays) but i have not been back INSIDE any of them (so thats like 20 years for high school, 25 for grade 3 to 6 school and 28 for grade 1 to 3)and this is something id love to do. I'd like to see how my memory of each holds up. Thoug fo course sinc ethen they might have made some changes. I wonder if its possible..like if i went to any of the schools maybe shortly after classes and talked to the principal if they would just allow me to walk the halls for like 10 mins...
  8. ZenG

ZenG

RxFunk........sort of a subtle reference to the Steely Dan song........
  9. elgecko

elgecko

My brother graduated from the same college about 10 years after me. It was a bit strange going back. I imagine revisiting an earlier school would be even freakier.

Steely Dan - My Old School...awesome song!
  10. AaronVonRock

AaronVonRock

I drove by my old high school 20+ years later. It looked a lot different because of additions like a new gym, extra buildings for more classrooms, more space for parking lots...
  11. iamlowsound

iamlowsound

I work for an engineering firm that does a lot of work for the school board that the schools that I went to are in. I am currently working on the design for the new elementary school that will be replacing the one that I went to, I spent a good chunk of my last summer inspecting the construction of an addition on the high school that I went to. Needless to say, I am actually in them a lot.

lowsound
  12. RxFunk

RxFunk

Ah, okay, thanks for the link elgecko.
  13. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Two of the schools I went to (elementary and Jr High) have been torn down; one was rebuilt after less than 40 years, which doesn't speak well for it.

At age 60 I went back and saw a couple of the schools I went to when I was less than 10. They seemed much smaller - big surprise.
  14. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL A Hard Rockin Lover of GREENBURST Supporting Member

Unfortunately the Military Academy I attended closed, I was lucky enough to be in the last graduating class. Though the Academy is closed, I have been able to walk the grounds. It was a very serene experience, almost like visiting a cemetery.
  15. skot71

skot71 Guest

The elementary I went to was torn down a few years ago. The jr./sr. high school I attended is about one block from my house, and both my boys graduated from there. Been in it a bunch.
  16. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

went into my old high school 30 some years later and got turned around, it still looked the same in the front but they remodeled and changed the whole back half of the main floor. Theres a big gymnasium where the shop classes use to be and a new lunch room where something else use to be, art rooms I think.
  17. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

I go back to my elementary school once in a while since it's a 2 minute drive. My 6th grade teacher still works there, and she was one of my favorites, so I always spend most of the time catching up with her.

Went back to the middle school to return a book that I found while cleaning out my bedroom! It belonged to the English teacher who is another favorite, so I went after school was out for the day and chatted for an hour with her. Got to catch up with the Science teacher during that same visit!

The schools felt so much smaller. Kinda creepy since nobody was in the hallways when I stopped by.
  18. GIBrat51

GIBrat51

In a word - no. I just added them all up, and turns out I went to 15 different ones, from 1st to 12th grades (oh, the joys of being a GI brat!). 4 of them were in foreign countries; and one of those (9th grade) was a WWII-vintage prisoner stockade. It's no longer there; I know because I got stationed at that base myself, 20 years later. Couple of the others are certainly gone, too. Of the ones in the States, at least 6 of those have been torn down, and I know that my 2nd grade school burned to the ground in the early '60s. I've looked for them a time or two on Google Earth, just out of curiosity, but I really have no desire to ever visit them. There's no point; I wasn't there very long, and I was just another of "those airbase kids", anyway. Most of the locals wanted nothing to do with us, and to be honest, the feeling was mutual.
  19. Ziltoid

Ziltoid Supporting Member

Two out of the three schools I attended have been demolished.
  20. shadowtippy

shadowtippy

My elementary school building was torn down several years ago. The contractor said he was tearing down a better building than he would be putting up.