Have you ever gone hungry due to lack of funds?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by slobake, Jan 27, 2014.

Have you ever gone hungry because you didn't have money for food?

1. Yes

55 vote(s)
    51.9%
  2. No

47 vote(s)
    44.3%
  3. Carrots (yum!)

4 vote(s)
    3.8%
  1. slobake

slobake Supporting Member

I live in the U.S. and this would be a big deal to me. Sadly in some parts of the world it may be an everday thing for some.
    There have been a couple of time that I had to skip lunch because I was away from home and didn't have any money. But I did have food waiting for me at home. I am embarrassed to admit the self pity I had because of this.
    There have also been times I have survived on rice, beans , home made bread and sometimes what I could forage on my own. Things like sorrel, fennel and bay leaves. Those situations were because of poor choices and an unhealthy life style on my part. I wouldn't say I went hungry though.
    So I am voting no. I have never gone more than a few hours of being hungry because I couldn't afford food.
    I have also fasted for 3 or more days but that is by choice and an entirely different thing.
    What about you?

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I too have found myself away from home without my wallet or cash, and had to miss a meal. I felt terrible, but remembered those who truly suffer.

-Mike

3. macaroni tony

macaroni tony

I've had cereal for dinner and the like some time back. I've gone to bed hungry, but not starving.

4. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Supporting Member

The worst it ever got for me was digging in the couch for Jumbo Jack money and lighting the apartment with tea candles.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. slobake

slobake Supporting Member

I do that often. Only because I want something light for dinner though. On Saturday I had brown rice cereal with yogurt, raisins and walnuts for dinner. My wife thinks I'm nuts. No comments please. :p

7. macaroni tony

macaroni tony

Haha! I remember those days. Jumbo jack, 2 tacos. 40oz of Olde English if there are enough quarters in the cupholder. Pseudo-dinner of champions

8. Monster Truck

Monster Truck groove student Supporting Member

Yes, more times than I care to remember. It amazes me how many employers think one should be so grateful for 20 hours a week at minimum wage.

9. Stewie26

Stewie26 Gold Supporting Member

Never went hungry. In the old days, when my wife and I were saving up for a down payment for our first house, we ate hot dogs and beans for dinner maybe 3 or 4 times a week. The other nights we would make meals from fresh potatoes.

10. macaroni tony

macaroni tony

Now in my older and wiser days, I've learned that potatoes, beans & rice are lifesavers

11. Marial

Marial Pooped Gold Supporting Member

After casting a my vote... I have to say no, I have never 'gone hungry', but I have definitely been malnourished.

12. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Supporting Member

Yep. A 40 of OE was about $2.50 in those days, but if the funds were "plentiful" (read: you found an extra dollar somewhere) we would get a 64oz of Crazy Horse, which was about $3.50.

[​IMG]

13. Selta

Selta

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: EBMM
    Simply put, yes, and well beyond skipping a single meal or snack, but not to the point where I was actually in real danger or anything. Heck, to me, skipping a single meal isn't that big of a deal... I routinely skip lunch anyway. Thankfully I live in a place where food is readily available and I have the means to afford it as well, so I haven't had to "go hungry" in a few years.

14. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member

I have been at points where you have to decide if you buy smokes, food or bus tickets and not hitckhike to work.
    It was a long time ago and I don't regret these days. I can't say I ever starved though.

15. Mktrat

Mktrat Wait. What?

My wife and I have egg weeks..... I always make sure the kids have what they need, but that is easy because milk, cereal, and bananas are there favorites.
    I work my a$$ off to make sure they never know what their parents stress about.

16. bassinplace

bassinplace

Oh wow, I forgot about that. I don't really drink much anymore and went out last night (a worknight) and had a few IPA's. Ouch. Everytime I do drink nowadays I'm always reminded why I stopped. If I were to try to drink a 40 nowadays I don't think it'd be much fun at all.

As for the thread topic, no I've never gone hungry. I've always managed to see to it that I've eaten everyday of my life so far. For that I am blessed.

17. Dug2

Dug2 Supporting Member

no i haven't, but its not over.....so who knows. lets hope it dont come to that

18. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

I went through a period where I would be lucky to have $10 a week for food. My weekly groceries were a pound of rice a pound of pintos a half pound of hamburger and a loaf of bread. If I had enough left over I'd get me a big onion or tomato. If I needed anything else like salt I might have to do without one of my regular items. One item I bought occasionally was cooking oil. Not to cook with but to drink a cup of if I was about to start on a gallon of old rocking chair.

I went from 209 to just under 150 in the final 6 months before I quit drinking and had more money to spend on things like food.

I once went a little over a week with no food while I walked out of a little thing that went really bad. I was following a smallish river out of some rough hilly terrain so water was available, but I never once thought about food or being hungry until I was (metaphorically speaking) out of the woods.

19. Immigrant

Immigrant

I'm trying to stay at <$2 a day for food, including coffee cost. It's incredibly difficult to do.

Meal 1- Corn Flakes
    Meal 2- 1/2 can of soup and crackers or 13 Jeno's Pizza Rolls
    Meal 3- PB&J and potato chips

I can make a $2 bag of tater chips last 2 weeks in case you're ready to get on my case for splurging.:p

Same diet for a year straight so far. I've lost 20-25 lbs also, down to 140.

20. iamlowsound

iamlowsound

I went without a lot growing up, until about 10. Food was one of the things that my parents worked hard to make sure my sister and I always had. I never realized how poor we were until much later in life and I thank them often for what they did for me.

Current food budget is about $50/week for my wife and I. It is actually quite easy to do, just have to plan well and shop smart.

lowsound

21. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Supporting Member

Media:
    At one point way back in the early part of adulthood I was really broke for a while and struggled to make ends meet. I can remember a few occasions during that period where I was seriously hungry - I mean missing food for maybe a couple of days, rather than just a meal. It's unpleasant. But I realise that I'm still one of a tiny minority on this planet who have been fortunate enough never to have experienced hunger far more severe than that.