Have you ever retired a bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LiquidMidnight, Dec 23, 2013.

1. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

I know some people purchase instruments with the intention of collecting, but I've always bought basses with the intent to play them. However, my main player is a Carvin LB75. It's a great playing and sounding bass. It's "reliced" the old-fashioned way - by being on stage hundreds of times. I'd like to keep playing it for some years, but eventually, I'd like to "retire" it by hanging it up in my home office or something.

I was just wondering if anyone else has made a conscious decision to retire a bass in a similar way.

2. mech

mech

Mine don't get to quit until I do and I know they would hate me if I turned them out to pasture early. I can just feel it. :bag:

mech

3. jj4001

jj4001 Supporting Member

My main and pretty much only bass of about 12 years has been temporarily retired until I have it re-fretted. The only problem is that the bass that's replaced it as my main player sounds and plays so nice. Makes it hard to get motivated to spend the money.

4. Devnor

Devnor

My Lakland 4-94 is retired. I'm just sick of playing it after all these years.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Selta

Selta

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: EBMM
    Yup. I have "moved on" to 5 and 6 string basses... but still have my first and second basses - both 4 string fretted pieces. They're not hung up anywhere on display (yet), but they are retired.

7. Thrust Meatnozl

Thrust Meatnozl

My '80 Sting Ray is pretty much retired after a very hard working life.

8. 1bassplayin

1bassplayin

My '66 P has been taken out of the active list. (almost got stolen) It's not ready for the old folks home yet. I take it out for studio dates and special occasions.

9. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

I love my '69 Jazz, but after years of constant use and not wanting to damage her anymore, I keep her stashed safely at home over the last few years. I might take her out once a year anymore.

10. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    I have never retired a bass. If I don't enjoy playing them anymore, I sell or trade them.

11. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration Supporting Member

Back in '77 as a teen, I bought my first nice bass. It was a new S.D.Curlee. Kinda rare even back then.
    I played that thing for a few decades. Other basses came and went. I had to retire it a few years ago due to a twist which developed in the neck. It's still playable, but impossible to intonate. It has no real resale value or collectivity value. I only hang on to it for sentimental reasons. It is the only thing I still have from back in the day, along with some old photos and vinyl LP's. All my other basses are no more than 12 years old.

12. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS * Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Retired, as in "haven't played it in years and it's just hanging on the wall" ... Fender MIA Precision 5 deluxe ... I really should sell it, but seeing as it's a quite nice interior decoration piece, maybe not. :)

13. QweziRider

QweziRider Supporting Member

My first bass, the old Gibson Ripper, got the snot beat out of it touring in '84-'85. I suppose one day I may fix it up and get it running again, but it's pretty much been retired since about '86 when I got my first "other bass".

14. LazyGecko

LazyGecko

Yeah. When I first started playing, my dad gave me his Ibanez. A year ago I retired it because it has sentimental value and I like to just keep it to have around :D

15. GM60466

GM60466

My first jazz bass needed a rest.

16. Humbled

Humbled Supporting Member

Yes! The 1978 Precision that I bought new when I was 20 years old has been "retired" for quite a while. It was the only bass I played for a decade. Comparatively now it is only a "decent" bass, but at the time, it was a magic carpet for me. Too many miles and memories on it to ever sell.

17. D.A.R.K.

D.A.R.K. Supporting Member

I've ended a bass life before- my first bass. A Sam Goody Mirada P bass. Smashed it on stage in the 80's.
    A'la Blade runner, this wasn't referred to as termination, this was called retirement.

18. ack

ack Supporting Member

^^^as above, my first bass - the one that got me interested was one of those cheap-o Sam Ash Bass Kits. I've since made it into a clock and it adorns our Jam Room. It may have sucked, but it served a greater purpose and continues to serve:
    [​IMG]

19. lixisoft

lixisoft Supporting Member

Yes, my 62 and 64 P-Bass, and my 68 Telecaster bass. I could never sell them, they hold too many memories. I toured with them from 1969 until 1990 when I retired from active road work.

20. Geri O

Geri O

There is an 1978 Alembic 4-string Series 1 that is in town that I'm considering buying simply to give it a good home, which I guess will be retired when it's all said and done.

A fellow bought it new as part of his music store startup that never materialized. He's not a player and I'm the only guy in all these years that's ever pulled it out, played it, set it up, and had anything to do with it. Over the years, I'd bring it home every once and a while, intending to buy it, but I could never get a price out of the guy. Finally, I'd carry it back to him, telling him to call me when he decided on, which he never has.

That was 20 years ago. Last August, when I decided to revive my playing career, that bass was the first bass I wanted to get ahold of, deciding that this time, it was MINE, PERIOD. I called the guy, who i remained friends with, and picked up the bass with same "gimme a price" mantra. A few days later, I realized that I would heading to 5-string land and started looking elsewhere for a bass, once again returning the Alembic to my friend. But now, even with 3 5-string basses, I find myself wanting to get that Alembic out of this guy's warehouse, out of its case, and onto a guitar stand in my music room, where it will be played some, properly set up, and otherwise properly cared of, finally after all these years. I think it deserves it, frankly. And maybe somewhere down the road, I'll sell it to a player looking for such an instrument and worthy of it (not that I am, but I give it hell). I don't have a use for a 4-string, but this Alembic isn't just any 4-string bass. It's an awesome bass, very gratifying to play. And I'll be happy to buy it and let it sit on a stand. It will finally be out of its case, in the daylight, and available for me to pick it up and play when I get the urge.

Sound crazy? You betcha. And that's just fine with me...:))

21. R Upsomegrub

R Upsomegrub

My '92 SR5 is semi-retired after being my main bass for nearly 20 years. I still play it occasionally, but it weighs 11.3 lbs so the 8.8 lb Lakland gets the call for longer gigs.