1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is still pending approval by Apple. If you haven't yet, try using your mobile browser - TalkBass is responsive to any screen size.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Have you ever studied only one bassist?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Octaves, Feb 11, 2014.

1. Octaves

Octaves

Howdy :)

I am sick of bands and feel like i'm holding myself back by putting my energy into learning all their songs (even though i like most of them), and neglecting my learning needs as a bassist. The reason i started playing bass is that i wanted to be a funk / groove bassist and i don't think that i am achieving my goal. Every time my band looks like it is falling apart (which is quite regularly these days), i am relieved because i feel like i can explore my own needs and focus on the music that i love.

I have always been a fan of George Porter Jnr, in fact, i love him!

I have pretty much decided i want to focus solely on him and the Meters in order to develop my 'craft'. I will break it up with other things, but i think it would be a really good route to take. I could use their music to really get inside groove, theory and technique (as well as where and how bass fits into music). I am actually quite excited about it! I predict it will take me 6-8 months to get through their best of album.

What do you think? Has anyone else ever done this?

Cheers
  2. MalcolmAmos

MalcolmAmos Supporting Member

Most of us have a day job, or like me are retired, so if this is what you would enjoy doing, go for it.

Carol and I are about the same age, thus think alike, if I was to do this she would be my choice of who I would like to spend some serious study time with.

3. mjac28

mjac28 50th Anniversary Ed Sullivan February 9, 1964 Gold Supporting Member

I'm retired also and it's Sir Paul for me and it's fun playing his music and watching his bass playing develop.
  4. stratovani

stratovani

I learned a lot from studying Geddy Lee. I've been a big fan of his for a number of years now and I hear a lot of his stuff in my playing.
  5. t77mackie

t77mackie

I learned bass by wearing out my Iron Maiden and Duran Duran cassettes.

This will lead to some issues though. Ummm..... lemmie find a good video interview for you.....

Here it is. Watch part 2 too.

Good luck!