Have you ever studied only one bassist?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Octaves, Feb 11, 2014.

1. Octaves

Octaves

Howdy :)

I am sick of bands and feel like i'm holding myself back by putting my energy into learning all their songs (even though i like most of them), and neglecting my learning needs as a bassist. The reason i started playing bass is that i wanted to be a funk / groove bassist and i don't think that i am achieving my goal. Every time my band looks like it is falling apart (which is quite regularly these days), i am relieved because i feel like i can explore my own needs and focus on the music that i love.

I have always been a fan of George Porter Jnr, in fact, i love him!

I have pretty much decided i want to focus solely on him and the Meters in order to develop my 'craft'. I will break it up with other things, but i think it would be a really good route to take. I could use their music to really get inside groove, theory and technique (as well as where and how bass fits into music). I am actually quite excited about it! I predict it will take me 6-8 months to get through their best of album.

What do you think? Has anyone else ever done this?

Cheers
  2. MalcolmAmos

MalcolmAmos Supporting Member

Most of us have a day job, or like me are retired, so if this is what you would enjoy doing, go for it.

Carol and I are about the same age, thus think alike, if I was to do this she would be my choice of who I would like to spend some serious study time with.

3. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

I'm retired also and it's Sir Paul for me and it's fun playing his music and watching his bass playing develop.
  4. stratovani

stratovani

I learned a lot from studying Geddy Lee. I've been a big fan of his for a number of years now and I hear a lot of his stuff in my playing.
  5. t77mackie

t77mackie

I learned bass by wearing out my Iron Maiden and Duran Duran cassettes.

This will lead to some issues though. Ummm..... lemmie find a good video interview for you.....

Here it is. Watch part 2 too.

Good luck!