Have you ever tripped with your bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Temezki, Nov 26, 2013.

1. Temezki

Temezki

So have you ever tripped with your bass or dropped it?

I'm just asking because last weekend I had this close call moment when it was icy outside and outside our rehearsal place I tripped on the ice on the stairs. I had my Sandberg in Warwick Rockbag (I really should get a case) I fcking freaked out and I had to rush inside to check the bass. Whew.. The fall only detuned the bass and the neck was a bit off center (had to loose the neck screws a little and correct it. No serious damage to the bass, my jeans ripped a little and my knees started bleeding(but that does't matter) Let's just say I hate ice.

2. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Yet you live in Finland.

3. RSBBass

RSBBass

Oh man when you asked if you had tripped, I wasn't thinking of with your feet. I never tripped with my bass (either way) but I did get hit by a cab while carrying it. It was fine. I was a bit banged up. The $%##^&^%$# cab took off.

4. Temezki

Temezki

Well for the last 3 years I have felt that I don't belong to Finland

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Temezki

Temezki

Cab drivers...:rollno::mad:

7. ROOTS_n_FIFTHS

ROOTS_n_FIFTHS Low end Lover since '78 Supporting Member

As I used to say when I lived there...Welcome to New York.

8. Sid Fang

Sid Fang Reformed Fusion Player Supporting Member

I stopped doing psychedelics before I started playing bass seriously.

9. Spearsy

Spearsy

Had to check-in to see exactly what this topic was about.

I've taken a fall a couple times here in the winter wonderland of Pennsylvania - once with my bass in a case - once with it in a bag. I took the worst of it both times and put myself between the bass and the ground.

As for my mental state while playing, it's enough of a challenge sober …

10. ZippyButton

ZippyButton

Yes.

I was playing my old MIJ EB3 copy at our band's practice space. We sounded great. I mean really great. I then made the following bad decisions:

1. Thought that jumping on top of my amp and then back off would be really cool.

2. Forgot that instead of my old 3,200 lb monster rig in flight cases, I now have one of those new-fangled ultra lightweight combos.

3. Did not land the jump dead center on aforementioned lightweight combo.

Needless to say, once I hit the edge of my amp it immediately rotated out from under me and I plummeted face/bass first towards the ground/amp. The amp broke my fall and when the bass body hit the amp it levered the neck quickly and directly to my chin/lip region. Ouch! Definitely drew blood. Good news was that the bass suffered no damage and stayed perfectly in tune. I got up, wiped off some blood, and then kept on rocking!

Moral of the story: don't jump on your lightweight combos unless you know you'll be able to balance.

11. bobm2112

bobm2112 Supporting Member

I played Xanadu while on acid!!

12. Slough Feg Bass

Slough Feg Bass

Yep, I've done both kinds of tripping with my bass!

Last summer, playing at an outdoor venue, at the end of a very intense song, I jumped up to punctuate the end of the song, landed wrong somehow, fell right on my butt.
    I was fine, but my wireless pack got smashed, and I had to use a cable ever since then.

The bass probably got nicked and scratched, but all my basses get banged up after a while.
    I can relic a bass in about 2 years to make it look like it's been played for 40 years.

13. SactoBass

SactoBass There are some who call me.......Sactobass

That's just the opposite of what you would expect (usually it's tripping over a cord, which is why many players choose to use wireless).

Irony can so.........ironic.

14. Rosebud

Rosebud Previously sbassface Supporting Member

Yes, although it was my upright bass I slipped on a wet floor that they were just putting the sign down on but I caught myself before I fell. Oh and yes for tripping.

15. Humbled

Humbled Supporting Member

I fell backwards right into the drum Kit on stage one time in Lak la Ronge, Saskatchewan.

I was about 21yo. It was 1981. I might have been less than 100% sober.

It was a week-long gig, and I do remember it got dark at about midnight and the sun came back up around 3:00am. That was pretty trippy.

16. Stone Soup

Stone Soup

I've tripped 100 times with my bass, but hey, it was the '80's and everyone was doing it.

17. Solarmist

Solarmist Supporting Member

^ The 70's for me.

18. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    I have never tripped with my bass but I once had one of my Alembics hit the floor when a strap lock came loose. Luckily, the only damage was a slightly bent tuning peg.

19. WoodyG3

WoodyG3 Supporting Member

I fell during rehearsal on stage, moving around with the bass plugged in, and fell forward. I had a Mike Lull Jazz bass strapped on, and somehow managed to turn and fall on my back, saving the bass, but running into the guitar player. We were both just fine, and the bass didn't even go out of tune.

20. pinebrookjohn

pinebrookjohn

No surprisingly but a guitarist i was playing with just had his 57? Lp juninor redone in tv yellow and instead of buying good straplocks. He used what he always did shoe laces. They broke and the headstock snaped off. The people started chanting you ****ed up. He was pissed.

21. PWRL

PWRL

Sure, I have. Our conga player and I were listening to Machine Head by Deep Purple, and I was trying to teach him how to play Never Before and Smoke On The Water, but then Space Truckin' came on and we just kind of got lost.
    Then there was another time I picked up my old Rick 4001 in its case, but the latches came open and it fell out and dropped a couple feet. Got a new ding in it, but luckly it was built like a tank and didn't break anything. Almost stopped my heart tho.
    I had to catch a few falling basses before I discovered straplocks, too. Then I had to catch a few more before I discovered fender washers.