1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Having a Dave Pushic built

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by VTheHTyphoon, Sep 19, 2012.

1. VTheHTyphoon

VTheHTyphoon

Let me start off by saying, I'd appreciate it if people who come on here to naysay state whether or not they have ever played one of Dave's basses, and if you owned one what was the year. Thank You.

Anyway now I can kick this off right. I took the plunge and put a down payment on a DP custom bass. It won't be done for a few months (7) but I figure I could drop some specs on you guys so you can just let the image simmer.

Specs for the Bass:

4-String

Hidden Neck-Thru

Single-Cut Body

Swamp Ash Body

Purpleheart Topcap

Ebony Bass Clef Body Inlay

5 Piece Neck of Hard Maple and Walnut

Ebony Fretboard

24 Frets Gold Fretwire

Purpleheart Fret Dots

3 Ultralite Tuners

Drop D Tuner Ultralite

Kahler Bass Trem

Nordstrand Big Singles

Aguilar 2-Band Preamp

Knobs: Standard
    Schaller Straplocks

Hardware Color: Gold

Heres a pic of my current jazz bass to show where the inlay on the body will be. My only decision right now is whether I would rather go with Gabon or Macassar Ebony. I asked him if there is an upcharge and if there are any tonal properties to consider between the two.

[​IMG]

2. phillybass101

phillybass101

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Brubaker Guitars, Tecamp Bass Players Gear
    I don't believe in bass bashing but do believe in due diligence prior to a signficant purchase. That's all I can say. I too thought about a DP Custom Build.

3. LutherHeggs00

LutherHeggs00 Supporting Member

4. bassguitarthund

bassguitarthund

Never owned one. What is a hidden neck thru?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. VTheHTyphoon

VTheHTyphoon

A hidden neck-thru is where the top woods cover the woods of the neck that extend down through the body so it looks like one solid piece

7. perkidan

perkidan

I had him build me one in 2005. Kept it for 3 months

8. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

2 of my friends own 3 DP basses between them. I've played them all and thought that they were excellent. Especially for the money. My friends wouldn't think of selling those basses.

9. J Dub

J Dub

I had one built last year. My bass looks great and sounds great! I read all of the negatives regarding Dave's basses, but when I saw and played the bass my friend ordered I was convinced. His is freaking nice, mine is BETTER though...lol! The tonal options seem to be unlimited. Some have complained about the weight of DP basses, but mine weighs 9 lbs. The body has a swamp ash core, purpleheart accent layers, and a cocobolo top and back. The neck is wenge, purpleheart, and flamed maple (9 piece) with a Mac Ebony fretboard. Because I was concerned about weight I was going to have it chambered, but I changed my mind. For me, ordering my DP Custom bass was a good decision. Enjoy yours!

Here's mine:
    I ordered wooden knobs, but they weren't ready when my bass was finished. He shipped them to me when they came in. The wooden knobs are like a pair of fine shoes to an outfit...they look very classy.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

10. LongHairFreak

LongHairFreak Supporting The Gold

I had one. Ordered it in '02, ' 03 or so. Had it for a couple years and sold it. Hated the body shape as soon as I pulled it from the box (Personal taste--Pushic did nothing wrong).

The sound was clean, clear and monsterous. I have yet to like the feel of another neck as much as I did that one--The shape was perfect. I wish he did just necks.

11. lbbc

lbbc Supporting Member

I ordered a Pushic bass and will receive it about the middle of February. After doing a great deal of research and talking to many luthiers, I decided to go with Dave. I have never played, heard or seen one in person...just trusting my instincts.

12. malthumb

malthumb Supporting Member

Example of a hidden neck thru. Even without the pickguard, the Amboyna Burl top covers the Maple/Bloodwood construction of the neck all the way down to the tail end. You can just barely see the two Bloodwood laminates just below the bridge.

[​IMG]

VtheHTyphoon,

Congrats on the new bass order. Dave had a decidedly rocky start, especially around the hallowed halls of TB, but the past few years I have heard only good reviews of his most recent work. Please check in with a full review, two or three months after you've received it (we all totally love our new gear right out the chute....honesty comes later)

13. HypersoulRocks

HypersoulRocks Supporting Member

Had one for about a year...loved the look and sound, but couldn't get used to the neck profile...
    For my studio work, I use a Smith, but for my live gigs, I use Carvin. I've ordered 3 in the last 18 months..best bang for the buck.

Dave was a great guy, and the bass was very nice. I just couldn't justify keeping a bass that didn't fit nicely in my hands.

14. BtHt83

BtHt83

I just put a downpayment on my DP:

6 String
    Scroll cut body
    (Cherry body, Purple heart Accent layer, *Spalted Maple Topcap)
    5 piece neck - Maple, Purple Heart, Jatoba
    Purple Heart Fretboard - Spalted maple 12th fret inlay (Double bass cleff design)
    Bartolini Dual Coil Passive Pickups/Active EQ
    Kahler Tremolo

I'm looking forward to it. I read all the negative feedback, but attributed much of it to internet haterism and not firsthand experience. Plus, most of it was years ago. Even assuming half of that was true, a man improves over time.

So for the money, there was no question. I decided to take the plunge.

Attached Files:

15. gustobassman

gustobassman I'm only here for the Afterparty

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Schroeder Cabinets, D'addario, Planet Waves
    Um, those of us that do have firsthand experience, and not being able to get even HALF BACK of what we put into it may disagree with you. And mine was resolved in Dec 2010. Not that long ago as you seem to imply.

16. lostrings

lostrings

I commissioned mine in Feb 2004 and recieved it in June 2005. It plays and sounds fantastic.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. willsellout

willsellout

Ordered a custom a long time ago (early 2000). It was a mess, and heavy as hell. It sounded good though.

18. BtHt83

BtHt83

Yeah, I'm not saying that there aren't valid complaints, recent ones at that. It just seems like most were old and second hand. Some older ones got good first hand reviews. The point being, there are good and bad reviews. What else is new?

But as far as resale value, you are taking a certain amount of risk building a custom, by the very nature of building a custom (it's made to your specs and no one else's). Especially for ≈$2,000 or less, not a "big name" luthier.

All of the 'alternatives' to DP that I saw on TB were way more expensive.

I'll wish for the best, get mine in a few months, and review it as objectively as possible. Sorry you had a bad experience.

19. BtHt83

BtHt83

Why do you think it was heavy? What kinds of woods did you use? Single cut?

20. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

I don't understand what you're complaint is. Are you angry about the resale value? Because if that's the case, you should know that nearly every custom/boutique buyer is in the same boat.

21. BtHt83

BtHt83

Exactly. I even scoured ebay for a while looking for a custom, but they were all someone else's. I thought they were ugly, wrong number of strings, I didn't like the electronics, etc. A 6 string bass with a tremolo? That's gonna be hard to come by.