1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

having a minor issue

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MVACCARO, Jan 13, 2014.

1. MVACCARO

MVACCARO

So I noticed while I was playing yesterday that if my leg comes in contact (or anything) with my cable my bass cuts out and I have to adjust the cable to reconnect so I can play My jack is located on the side of my bass is this common or is it just me

2. Profania_bass

Profania_bass Profanity Fish.

Media:
    Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Spector basses, Winspear Picks, Spector Formula 603 strings
    Some connections on your jack input are loose on the inside of the bass, get that looked at. Or look at it yourself if you know what you're doing :)

3. MVACCARO

MVACCARO

yea i'll have to have someone look at it someone told me to use an angled cable but not shure if that will help (kinda dont wanna buy something unless it works)

4. SoVeryTired

SoVeryTired Endorsing nothing, recommending much Supporting Member

All that will possibly do is make it easier to avoid knocking the end of the cable, so I wouldn't bother - just get the connections looked at.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bassman10096

bassman10096 Supporting Member

+1 Don't delay - every time I've had the problem you are describing, it was either a problem with the jack or a bad cable plug (have you tried a different cable or at least turned the cable around?). Problems like this don't get better - they only get worse.

7. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

It's also possible the cable itself is bad.

8. pfox14

pfox14

Just giggle it a bit you know. Seriously, try another cable. If that doesn't work, then the jack itself is loose or needs to be replaced or re-soldered.

9. MVACCARO

MVACCARO

yea Ill try another cable thanks

10. GeoffByrne

GeoffByrne

I take you *are* tucking the cable round the strap/strap peg before plugging in? If not, it may help. However it sounds like you need your jack socket replaced (providing your cables are OK).

Barrel jacks are notorious for this. What kind of bass is it?

If you can solder, it'd be much easier & cheaper to do it yourself.

G.

11. MVACCARO

MVACCARO

its a dean edge 09m and yea I do tuck it its brand new so is it a common thing to have right out of the box

12. bassgod0dmw

No

13. jefkritz

jefkritz

Media:
    Albums:
    This.

Also, don't get an angled cable. IME they tend to make this problem worse.

14. pudgychef

pudgychef

Is the jack nut lose at all? I have seen this on a few new basses

If not...it sounds like a lose lead in the jack itself (or bum cable)both easy and cheap fixes

15. Zephrant

Zephrant

Check your nut, then pop the cover and wiggle the wires going to the jack a little.

I had a wire fall off the pot on my last CL bass. Easy for me to fix, and now I know it is solid.

16. MVACCARO

MVACCARO

So its the cable I used a different on from a friend so now the question is angled or straight

17. bassgod0dmw

Use whatever you prefer. I always use an angled cable and I've never had an issue with them.

18. MVACCARO

MVACCARO

19. gregmon79

gregmon79 Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I had the same thing happen with my Ibanez ATK 300 years back, it was a bad jack. I tried getting around it for a while but, as stated above, it only got worse. I had to take it into a tech and they had to replace the input jack. It will still do it every now and then but that is why I use an angled jack most times now. Its easier on the input. If it persists, get it looked at for sure. Because it will get worse and you may be stuck with an unusable bass at the worst time.

20. WoodyG3

WoodyG3 Supporting Member

I'm glad you found the problem. I find that a 90 degree cable with the cable tucked through the strap is the best solution for keeping the connection secure and keeping the cable out of the way.

21. MVACCARO

MVACCARO

yea so Im thinking of getting this cabel its a Musicians Gear tweed right angle cable