1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Having problems with music

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by DaveLaRue, Jan 26, 2013.

1. DaveLaRue

DaveLaRue

Hey guys long story short i have never been taught music by a teacher so i have some problems.my main problem is that (for now) i cant mention patterns.example when i need to play a solo over bad girls (from jamiroquai in the key of Gm) i play something but later i think it was not quite good.i know about relative minors , majors , triads , chords but when i see a C in the key of Gm (im talking about the main bassline of bad girls) my brain stops working and i cant solve that.Could you please tell me how can be there a C in the key of Gm and give me some advices for understanding music
  2. phmike

phmike

3. MalcolmAmos

MalcolmAmos Supporting Member

OK the C is a C note, however the C chord would be a Cm chord. Keep reading.

OK now why is there a Cm chord in the key of Gm?

To find the chords made from any scale you take the scale's notes and stack them in 3rds, i.e. every other note. For example:

Gm scale has these notes:
    G A Bb C D Eb F so stacking the G chord we get.
    G, Bb, D, F as the notes for the Gm chord. How do I know that is a minor chord? Well the G MAJOR scale has these notes; G, A, B, C, D, E, F#. So that stack G, Bb, D, F has a flatted 3rd and a flat 7th and - wait for it - a flatted 3rd and a flatted 7th makes a Gm7 chord. Or leave the F out of the picture and you have a Gm chord.

OK that is how you stack scales to get the chords that go with that scale/key. Now you keep going and see how you get a C chord in the key of Gm. Hint - C, Eb, G, Bb and yes here again you get a flatted 3rd and a flatted 7 and that makes a Cm7 or Cm chord.

I know that went right over your head. You have to start at the beginning and eat this elephant one bite at a time.

Here is a good starting point. http://www.billygreen.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/Music Theory - Basic, Intermediate, Advanced.pdf
  4. DaveLaRue

DaveLaRue

Gm contains C of course im so sorry the key was F#m my bad...and i think C comes from chromatic scale
  5. DaveLaRue

DaveLaRue

Omg maybe my question was all wrong but your answer inspired me a lot thanks !
  6. MalcolmAmos

MalcolmAmos Supporting Member

Looking at the chart I gave you, yes the F# scale has a C# so if there was a C in your music it was a passing or chromatic note. Look at the F# blues scale.
  7. Bainbridge

Bainbridge

8. DaveLaRue

DaveLaRue

Yes minor blues scale contains C too you caught it well , also i cant seperate this song's tone i think its F#m but it might be C#m as well.i cant remember the first chord of the song and songs main riff contains : B C C# G# F# A .C#m and F#m contain these too
  9. phmike

phmike

Now that we've changed keys a couple of times -
    What about the v chord in a minor key (G#m in key of C#m) often being changed into a V or V7? You would get a natural C in a G# major or G#7 chord.