Having problems with music

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by DaveLaRue, Jan 26, 2013.

1. DaveLaRue

DaveLaRue

Hey guys long story short i have never been taught music by a teacher so i have some problems.my main problem is that (for now) i cant mention patterns.example when i need to play a solo over bad girls (from jamiroquai in the key of Gm) i play something but later i think it was not quite good.i know about relative minors , majors , triads , chords but when i see a C in the key of Gm (im talking about the main bassline of bad girls) my brain stops working and i cant solve that.Could you please tell me how can be there a C in the key of Gm and give me some advices for understanding music

2. phmike

phmike

3. MalcolmAmos

MalcolmAmos Supporting Member

OK the C is a C note, however the C chord would be a Cm chord. Keep reading.

OK now why is there a Cm chord in the key of Gm?

To find the chords made from any scale you take the scale's notes and stack them in 3rds, i.e. every other note. For example:

Gm scale has these notes:
    G A Bb C D Eb F so stacking the G chord we get.
    G, Bb, D, F as the notes for the Gm chord. How do I know that is a minor chord? Well the G MAJOR scale has these notes; G, A, B, C, D, E, F#. So that stack G, Bb, D, F has a flatted 3rd and a flat 7th and - wait for it - a flatted 3rd and a flatted 7th makes a Gm7 chord. Or leave the F out of the picture and you have a Gm chord.

OK that is how you stack scales to get the chords that go with that scale/key. Now you keep going and see how you get a C chord in the key of Gm. Hint - C, Eb, G, Bb and yes here again you get a flatted 3rd and a flatted 7 and that makes a Cm7 or Cm chord.

I know that went right over your head. You have to start at the beginning and eat this elephant one bite at a time.

Here is a good starting point. http://www.billygreen.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/Music Theory - Basic, Intermediate, Advanced.pdf

4. DaveLaRue

DaveLaRue

Gm contains C of course im so sorry the key was F#m my bad...and i think C comes from chromatic scale

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. DaveLaRue

DaveLaRue

Omg maybe my question was all wrong but your answer inspired me a lot thanks !

7. MalcolmAmos

MalcolmAmos Supporting Member

Looking at the chart I gave you, yes the F# scale has a C# so if there was a C in your music it was a passing or chromatic note. Look at the F# blues scale.

8. Bainbridge

Bainbridge

9. DaveLaRue

DaveLaRue

Yes minor blues scale contains C too you caught it well , also i cant seperate this song's tone i think its F#m but it might be C#m as well.i cant remember the first chord of the song and songs main riff contains : B C C# G# F# A .C#m and F#m contain these too

10. phmike

phmike

Now that we've changed keys a couple of times -
    What about the v chord in a minor key (G#m in key of C#m) often being changed into a V or V7? You would get a natural C in a G# major or G#7 chord.