1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Having to use the restroom onstage

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by powderfinger, Jan 4, 2013.

1. powderfinger

powderfinger

I know this might sound like "humor" here, but Im honestly curious about this. Ive been gigging on and off since the 90s, and never once have I had to use the restroom (neither #1 nor #2) while onstage. I mean, sure I have taken a leak during break, but I never had to pee onstage so bad that I couldnt play... certainly never had to do the "other".

Have any of you ever had to use the restroom onstage so bad that you went in your pants, or had to leave stage?

I also wonder if pro touring bands that have been at it for 50 years (ie. The Stones, The Who, etc.) have ever had any issues like this. Odds would say if you play THAT many gigs, its bound to happen.

Again, not trying to be funny here, but Ive just always wondered, and I doubt theres ever been a thread about this.

2. BBox Bass

BBox Bass Supporting Member

I've always been able to grit my teeth and hold it, but I've seen a few of my band mates dash off to the bathroom mid-set.

A drummer once told me about a surgical procedure he had that required him to be catheterized for a few days after he left the hospital. He had a gig that weekend, and joyfully recounted about how he was able to drink beer all night and never leave his stool once. Maybe that's how the old pros do it. Of course, there's always Depends.

3. father of fires

father of fires Supporting Member

I want to hear some stories as well. This has always been my fear.

4. preside

preside

I think we can tell now how Rock music is aging ;-)

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. pklima

pklima

Notice that rock stars have been wearing leather pants on stage at least since the 1960s, so they could pee themselves without it being too visibly obvious. And back then, as weird as it sounds now, rock wasn't just for grey-haired guys from English-speaking countries.

7. TolerancEJ

TolerancEJ

lol Usually a pre-gig dump would be in order to lessen up any performance anxiety. lol

8. two fingers

two fingers You tahkin 'uh me? Yeah, you. You tahkin 'uh me? Supporting Member

I was at a sold out jazz fest (35K people) featuring Al Jarreau, David Sandborn, George Duke, Joe Sample etc. Towards the end of Al's 2nd number, he cut the band off live! Waved them off! Suddenly the whole stage broke out in laughter. Al grabbed the mic and said "Sorry y'all. I ain't as young as I used to be. I gots to go pee!" Dropped the mic and walked off stage. George held a quick huddle and they started the next song.

9. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

I have had a drummer go to the bathroom before, it called for an acoustic song. He was drunk... obviously.

I once saw Opeth and Michael Akerfeld didn't do an encore because he had to poop, when he came back on stage announcing the urge had passed by the time he walked off they came back and did the encore. I imagined he pinched a loaf once he was done but I cannot confirm that part of the story.

10. NWB

NWB

Well, Mike McCready from Pearl Jam has Crohn's Disease which gives you frequent and urgent bowel movements and has had to run off-stage several times.

He's also very open and outspoken about his condition and has done a lot to raise awareness of the disease.

11. daveman50

daveman50 Supporting Member

Funny, none of the places I play have a restroom onstage...

12. powderfinger

powderfinger

Great replies, everyone.

Ive had a nervous stomach before shows. A pre show dump oftentimes does work. But when I can't seem to pinch one out, I usually will make a quick run to the convenience store and pick up some anti diareah medication (Imodium,Kapoptec, etc.). That stuff will usually plug you up quick, and for about 3 days afterwards.

Ive always thought though, that anytime a band goes into a random bass, drum, or guitar solo... its because someone in the band had to take a dump. In other words.... Eddie whispers to David Lee Roth, "I gotta take a dump, Dave"..... Dave Lee whispers back, "ok... one dump... cooooooooooming up!!!. Michael Anthony does his ridiculous bass solo. Alex and DLR get to rest for a few minutes. Eddie gets to pinch a loaf.

13. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

Local band near me has a bunch of fake Marshall cabinets and a few 5 gallon buckets within them. On certain songs, they go behind the fake cabinets and relieve themselves. Disgusting cleanup later, but it works!

My guitar player disappeared from stage once to wiz. Of course it was the show I was NOT at. My band mates had no idea where he was.... :D

14. Yerf Dog

Yerf Dog

:D

15. powderfinger

powderfinger

Could they dump inside the fake Marshalls?

16. thedudebrah

thedudebrah Supporting Member

I can't recall a show where my nerves or adrenaline weren't so high that I wouldn't have even felt the need to use the bathroom while playing. Just focus on playing and then mate by the time I'm breaking down my rig I'd be like whoa I gotta pee soon.

17. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

If they had to take a dump, I am sure they could. Their drummer would get an unfavorable point of view though. :crying:
    :D

18. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

I've run offstage to pee rather than play an encore.

19. Already In Use

Already In Use

An empty Gatorade bottle makes for a nice port a potty to take a leak in..back stage...out of site of course. Dont drink a lot...I bring Tic Tacs or something to keep my mouth moist...pre hydrate. Usually works out OK.

Diapers?? If ya cant wont dont and have to?? Ha!

20. hsech

hsech It's my opinion and I'm sticking with it. Gold Supporting Member

Now you know why old rockers like the Rolling Stones are endorsed by Depends.

21. msaone

msaone

I seem to remember on an especially rowdy 4th set when I was way beyond thankful I had a wireless.