1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Having trouble finding bass distortion

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Rigz, Dec 24, 2013.

1. Rigz

Rigz

I'm having trouble finding a bass distortion that gets as throaty as I'd like without having to resort to using a guitar distortion pedal. I just got a bass big muff and I'm not at all satisfied, though I appreciate the dry option. I like having the option to run a dry signal under my distortion. Im trying to find something for around $150 in price. I'm looking for something along the lines of the tone in this song:
    http://youtu.be/pFY_ahPZmzs

Any suggestions? Thank you.

2. spaz21387

spaz21387

Sounds like a rat. Get yourself a proco rat or a fuzzrocious rattail.

3. Josh Thatguy

Josh Thatguy Registered abUser Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    EBS Valvedrive.
    (Good thing the band lets the bassist do the dramatic-isolated-E a few times in that song; the bass is buried most everywhere else in it)

Edit-- sorry, most of the time the EBS is a bit over the $150 you mentioned, but life is all about timing. I missed one for 150 on CL in Asheville NC by a few hours a month or so ago when I was travelling through

4. Rigz

Rigz

Spaz, he was using a rat on the record but it was an earlier rat they don't make anymore. I want something I can blend and still retain the crisp controlled clarity.

I'll check the ebs out, thanks.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Rigz

Rigz

Unless there's a way for me to blend the rat while playing live?

7. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Heck yes. First there are pedals called "blenders" for exactly that purpose ( search on blender). Second there are some boutique Rat clones with blend built in.

8. Rigz

Rigz

Opinions on buying a blender+rat/tube screamer/joyo ocd copy vs $200-$250 bass distortion pedal? I'll be spending close to $250 on the two pedals would it just be worth it to get something else in that price range?

9. BawanaRik

BawanaRik Supporting Member

Boss LS-2. Every bassist should have one.

No blend on your Whammy? LS-2 solves that as well as this issue.

10. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

How much real estate do you want to take up on your board? If you have a few pedals that benefit from the blend pedal go with separates. If you're only going to have the one, then go for the built in blend.

I would go for the built in, but I like my board as small as possible.

11. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    The Joyo Ultimate Drive cranked up high would probably work for that sound and doesn't require a blend. But if you wanted to go for a Rat, a Fuzzrocious Rat Tail or Keeley modded Bass Rat would work without a blend as well. Personally, I don't care for blends...a lot of times the end result sounds like a separate clean bass and a distorted bass instead of one unified bass. I believe it was Johnk who called it the "Bees in the background" sound.

12. shaft311

shaft311

Aguilar Agro or Darkglass BK3

Check both out on Youtube.

13. walksupright

walksupright

Way Huge Pork Loin. Has the blend control that you need and in your price range. Open it up and there are controls inside to optimize the eq for bass. Gives me a nice tubey grit.

14. Rigz

Rigz

Thank you all very, very much. I'm new here and you have been extremely helpful and informative. Definitely sticking around here!

15. eshears

eshears

Also check out the Source Audio Bass OFD...it models a bunch of different distortions (including the Rat), has a 3-band EQ, and a built-in blend. It sounds fantastic and has been getting a lot of praise on TB lately.

16. skulletwhip

skulletwhip

The dude in that band uses a modified Pro Co Rat. I think there is a pedal board picture floating around in one of the Pedalboards of the Stars threads.

A Fuzzrocious Rat Tail will get you really damned close to that sound. I have one and love it.

The rest is of course dependant upon your bass, amp/cab and technique.

Good luck.

17. Guinness20

Guinness20

Is the Ashdown NM2 distortion any good?

18. Rigz

Rigz

The fuzzrocious is looking very very promising. I just read that he will add a blend knob upon request, I think I'm sold.

19. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    John K Custom Basses
    +1 to all of the above.

20. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist Gold Supporting Member

rat tail, fake wooly mammoth, geiger counter, or L2k into a mesa d180

21. skulletwhip

skulletwhip

You will enjoy it.