Having trouble with my Ampeg BA115

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Speknawz, Nov 12, 2013.

1. Speknawz

Speknawz

Hey there, first time posting, sorry to the admins if I did not put this in the right catagory in advance. So, about five years ago I bought a lightly used Ampeg BA 115 from my local music store. I enjoyed it without any problems for about one year and now I can't play for more than 30 minutes without getting super frustrated.

What is happening as far as I can tell, is once my amp warms up, the input jack expands ever so slightly and disrupts the connection. I can temporarly remedy it by adding horizontal pressure to the cable mounted in the input. Once I let off though it crackles a lot and my bass sounds very distant. I have taken off the metal housing and looked at it and there are no obvious flaws. Can anyone please help me with this without me dropping a couple hundred dollars on a professional repair? Thanks in advance for any advice as it is most appreciated.
  2. Grissle

Grissle

Sounds like a solder joint/s on the input may need the soldering touched up.
  3. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

It could be a dirty jack, dampen a Q-tip with some rubbing alcohol and with the unit unplugged run the Q-Tip in and out a few times. Let it sit un-plugged for 20 minutes be fore trying again.
    Could also be a worn jack (lost tension) or a bad solder joint. Even having it replaced should be under $100. easy.
  4. Speknawz

Speknawz

Thank you for the advice I will certainly try cleaning it out first. I did notice a change though, just yesterday when I turned on the amp for the first time it was giving me trouble so I doubt its heat related. As for re-soldering the connection, I opened it up a couple years back and looked at it for a good long while and didn't see anything amiss, I'll look again but I am young and not a qualified electrician. So if cleaning it doesn't work I'll probably take it to the local shop and just bite down on whatever bullet they got for me. Thanks again guys, most appreciated.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. MakoMan

MakoMan

The input jack is most likely in need of replacement. It should not be very expensive to repair.
    I had the exact same issue with the passive input of my older Peavey TKO65, so I took it into the shop two weeks ago to have both input jacks replaced. At the same time I had themchange out the old power cable a modern 3 prong connection plug to use with any power cable. The whole thing cost $40 including tax and it now works perfectly.
  7. Speknawz

Speknawz

Well what really messed me up about it was that both my input jacks were acting up(0dB & -15dB). But now that I have run the Q-tip and alcohol through I have not experienced the problem yet, I didn't get much grime out of the jacks but I guess it doesn't take much to interfere with a electrical connection. Not sure if I just haven't played it for a long time or if it really is fixed. Regardless, I appreciate all the great tips you guys have given me. May the slap be with you all.