HBE Hematoma vs. Fulltone Bassdrive

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by aebmacchia, Sep 19, 2013.

1. aebmacchia

aebmacchia

Hi!
    I'd like to buy an overdrive.
    I play alternative rock, stoner, grunge...:bassist:
    which is better Hematoma or Bassdrive?

2. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story Supporting Member

I haven't tried the Hematoma but I sold the Bassdrive within a month. There are countless bass ODs out there, what's your budget?

3. aebmacchia

aebmacchia

My budget is under 200€ however I have to choose between these two pedals.

4. RCCollins

RCCollins Supporting Member

I had a Hematoma for a while and I liked it, but it's pretty dark sounding even with the tone all the way open. If that sounds OK to you, I'd consider it. Seems especially suited to massive low end crunch, doomy type stuff. Could be cool for stoner rock.
    But the Bassdrive is ultimately more flexible, and with a little tweaking it can get closer to the sounds a Hematoma does, than a Hematoma can do Bassdrive sounds.
    It really depends a lot on your amp, of course. Both good pedals.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. aebmacchia

aebmacchia

Thanks RCCollins but what do you mean with dark sounding? Fuzzy or Warmy?
    I have a Hughes & Kettner amp.

7. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    John K Custom Basses
    I have both and I prefer the Bassdrive.

8. Laurent

Laurent Supporting Member

I currently have both pedals as well. I have had 30 different Fulltone Bassdrives in my lifetime and I currently have four on hand.

You mentioned an overdrive pedal. The Bassdrive and Hematoma belong more in the realm of distortion pedals. They can however go from a mild distortion (high side of overdrive if you want to put it this way) to the low side of fuzz. They are a bit like the swiss army knife of distortion pedals.

Note that on the Hematoma the boost works independently. This boost offers some compression as well which is pretty neat.
    The boost on the Fulltone Bassdrive only works when the distortion side of the pedal is on.

Both are very nice pedals. The Fulltone is one of the most popular bass pedal on pro-boards (some people will argue about this one - I already know).

There are 3 versions of the Fulltone Bassdrive and they all sound different so it's hard to generalize what a Bassdrive sounds like. As a rule, the later the model the more aggressive they sound. Tone of later models is more stripped too. The earlier the model, the warmer and more woolly they sound. The Blue version is particularly realistic when it comes to a tube amp being overdriven. Later models, the MOSFET in particular, sound like a pedal but they cut in a busy mix.

The Hematoma covers 90% of what a Fulltone can do, I have A/B'ed them countless times. You get there with different settings so you have to rely on your ears rather than visually adjusting the knobs to similar positions.

The Fulldrive is no longer produced so they tend to be expensive because they are high in demand. The Hematoma is still being produced.

9. spufman

spufman

I've had a Hematoma on my board for few years at this point, preferred it over the Fulltone when I bought it. I agree that its overdrive quickly moves into distortion territory under my personal categorization. Sounds good though and the filter switch does give two noticeably different flavors.

I really like the independent clean boost, it truly is clean and very useful when you need an unexpected bump in volume because the guitarist broke out his slide or something. I've been very happy with the pedal for a long time but recently replaced it on my small board with a TAFM.

I've come to realize that I now prefer a fuzz tone over an overdriven/distorted tone and the TAFM is working out well. Miss that clean boost option, though.

10. HolmeBass

HolmeBass Supporting Member

Media:
    I own the Mosfet version of the Bassdrive, and borrowed and played a Hemotoma for about a month. The one thing the Bassdrive does that the Hemotoma doesn't seem to do too well is a very mild OD, using the "CleanComp" setting on the Bassdrive with low drive settings gives a touch-sensitive mild breakup.

The owner of the Hematoma seemed to sum up my experience with it: you get your bass tone in the middle, surrounded by a cloud of distortion, and at higher setting, approaching fuzz. Lots of volume boost available with the Hematoma.

I personally switched to a Sparkle Drive for light OD, don't really use distortion, and use a TAFM, Red Ripper, and Hawk for various fuzz tones. Of those the TAFM rules and is the most versatile as well.

So I guess I would vote like this:
    For distortion and impact: Hematoma
    For touch-sensitive overdrive that cleans up w/ volume: Fulltone Bassdrive
    For heaviness and fuzz from mild to freaky and even a bit synthy: TAFM

11. BawanaRik

BawanaRik Supporting Member

I have both and I doubt you'll be going wrong with either pedal. The Hematoma is , in my opinion easier to dial in. The Bassdrive has more options and you have to spend time playing with it to get them. It does do a tubey thing that is real cool