HBO series Girls

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by JacoLesFlea, Mar 19, 2014.

1. JacoLesFlea

JacoLesFlea

So the library had seasons 1 and 2 so I checked them out and was surprised at how "mature" the show is. I like it. bit Lena Dunham seems to enjoy getting nude alot. Anyone else watch it?
  2. Tractorr

Tractorr Supporting Member

Media:
    I watch it. Do some Google searches she has been asked about the nudity a lot.
  3. Marial

Marial Proud Papa Supporting Member

Caught an episode, wasn't all that thrilled by it, but then I'm not all that interested in what 20/30-somethings in New York are doing.
  4. Frank Tuesday

Frank Tuesday

I enjoyed the first season a lot. I thought it was going to be a great show. Half way through the second I lost interest. The "plots" were getting ridiculous, and all of the characters are insufferable boors. Haven't bothered to watch any of season 3.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. JacoLesFlea

JacoLesFlea

When she hosted SNL a couple weeks ago they did a skit poking fun at all the nudity on the show.
  7. lowendmafia

lowendmafia Supporting Member

Lena Dunham pretty much embodies everything wrong with my generation.
  8. Tractorr

Media:
    Season 3 is better than season 2, or at least there is more fun on season 3.
  9. jerry

jerry Definitely not trending Gold Supporting Member

I dig the show! I also like the fact that Lena Dunham is brave enough to get naked on TV to make people's heads explode because her body doesn't fit TV/movie normal of naked females.;)
  10. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

...heck, it barely fits my TV screen.

Riis
  11. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight Supporting Member

I'm not familiar with the show and I'm not familiar with Lena Dunham. However, I looked her up. I dig her. She actually looks like a real woman.
  12. IPA

IPA

I saw her on SNL, that was enough for me to condemn her completely
  13. fmoore200

fmoore200

She kinda reminds me of Ricki Lake. I don't mean that in a bad way, just an observation
  14. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist-Reverend Guitars
    I lost interest. It's just not really as good as it's hyped to be.
  15. Jim Campbell

Jim Campbell

that's all good...more tv should use real looking people.....where dunham falls down is when she starts to talk....more piercings,tattoos and vapid dialogue from a slightly younger crowd in a more downscale part of nyc....sex and the sh---y,if you will
  16. Milk

Milk Supporting Member

Yep

And i'm all for promoting different body standards but really she's just an exhibitionist. It's pretty damn obvious. Theres no good reason for her to be THAT naked. I'd say the same no matter what her body looked like.
  17. Tractorr

Media:
    I think there is a very good reason for her to be naked that much, it makes many people uncomfortable. Sure, some of those people just won't watch the show, but for the people who keep watching they have to confront why they are uncomfortable by seeing her nude.
  18. Ziltoid

Ziltoid Supporting Member

Why would I watch a show with characters embodying exactly the kind of people I avoid?
  19. jrthebassguy

jrthebassguy Supporting Member

"Girls" annoys me to no end, and to an extent I agree with you. But at the same time: The show doesn't have men as a target demographic. Most diehard fans of Girls tend to be women. This includes my girlfriend. I don't like the show, but the show doesn't really intend for me to be a viewer.

I tried watching the show with her, but I found all the characters to be annoying and vapid.
  20. Jim Campbell

Jim Campbell

i feel your pain.....i had a girlfriend that liked love boat.....
  21. Milk

Milk Supporting Member

Yeah I personally have no problems with her body. I've been with girls that looked like this or "worse" (by what society considers acceptable female body standards). Whatever. I don't think she's being brave. Maybe if she'd done it one. Repeatedly, she's just being an exhibitionist. I mean come on, the emmy thing? **** sake.

The writing just isn't any good in my mind. Vapid and annoying characters, someone mentioned. And it's not a gender thing. My gf hates Lena Dunham and the show (or that awful Tiny Funriture movie she made) even more than I do. It's pretty much as feministically (not a word, I just made it up) misguided as Sex and the City was.

More underserving people getting rewarded. Nothing changes.