He who packs first, packs best!

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Landy67, Jan 13, 2013.

1. Landy67

Landy67 Gold Supporting Member

My brother is coming to the house today to play, and I always enjoy his visits, however, he always leaves with more than he brought! (it's an ongoing theme since we were children) The last time he was here he absconded with one of my Snark tuners.

This time I'm ready for him. I tied a tuner to each amp so they can't "accidently" end up in his gig bag, and I put labels on all my cables with my name on them.

Somehow I don't feel that I'm doing enough!
    [​IMG]

2. HereIGoAgain

HereIGoAgain

Yeah, that amp head can most likely fit in a gig bag. The cabinet, while not exactly hideable, can be taken out to a car while you're sitting on the can. I'd say got to the bathroom either before he gets there or hold it until leaves.

Oh, you also need to watch your instruments. If you just can't hold it until he leaves, take the bass to the little boys' room with you.

Seriously though, if you're concerned enough that you have to label your cables for a living room jam, why have the guy over? I understand the bit about family and all, but there is a point.

Vincent: "You don't run a race car in the red, and I'm in the red Jules!"
    Jules Winnfield: "Oh, you're in the red??? Well, I'm superfly TNT! I'm a mushroom cloud-layin' muther, muther! And if my fingers touch brain one more time- Wait a minute! Why am I on brain detail? This is your mess. We're trading places right now."

3. Disappear

Disappear

Really?

4. plankspanker13

plankspanker13

Since when does the expectation of providing a tuner become SOP? You bring your own gear, when playing out, so tell your guest that it is no different than that, and he can start by bringing the tuner that was taken, last time.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. HereIGoAgain

HereIGoAgain

Yeah really. I don't care if a guy is my own kid or my own parent, if I can't trust him, I'm not going to.

7. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

+1 It's stealing and if he has been doing it since you were children either confront him or leave it alone and continue to donate gear.

8. mattbass6945

mattbass6945

you just need an svt classic and an 8x10.......problem solved!:bag:

9. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

+1000 It's like hiding your wallet from your children so they stop taking your money.

10. Landy67

My brother is absolutely in love with my Genz Benz. I had him play through it with his Taylor acoustic, and we recorded it with my looper.

I expect that some day I'll come home and see that my amp is missing and my brother will invite me to his house to see "his" new amp!

He got quite a laugh at the tuners lashed to the amps, and got the hint, and I got my tuner back!

11. Russell L

Russell L

I'm bad about keeping people's lighters when I borrow one (by mistake, of course). Incorrigible behavoir, lol.

12. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

Yep.

Sometimes you have to be really careful with certain individuals. I have a couple friends who do that stuff all the time by mistake, but they usually realize it and will either return what they took or will buy me a new one. Then there are some people who will take something of yours and hope you won't recognize that it's gone until they're far enough away from the situation to claim ignorance.

13. JaamE

JaamE Owner of the GK Angry Bird amp Supporting Member

I've been known to walk off with my lesson guys' capo. More than one.

14. klejst

klejst

Ha ha siblings. Reminds me of the old separating, hiding and "no that's mine, that is yours!" talks I had with my brother when we were younger.

15. tlmoscow

tlmoscow

You might as well have some fun with it. Why not play at your brother's place and then leave with his car? Does he have a pretty girlfriend? Anything not nailed down is fair game.

16. Landy67

I don't really want most of his gear... He gets my old hand-me-downs.

Although... I wonder if he would notice if I "accidentally" walked out the door with his Taylor acoustic?

17. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

My band has a lot of gear,, tons of cords laying on the stage and when we pack up I'm usually missing something, like my instrument cable (which wasn't cheap) I feel like a miser when I keep asking them for my cable back. I now have a cord in each bass case and gig bag.

18. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

+1

19. vishuddha

vishuddha 100% Mediocre Supporting Member

Man, if someone STEALS my stuff, regardless of our relationship, it's probably gonna be the last time I see them. If I have reason to believe they just accidentally took it without realizing, then that's different... I accidentally take stuff ALL the time so I know how that is.

But a thief is a thief. If the stuff is being taken consciously, it might be time to only visit at HIS house.

20. Landy67

Good news! My brother got the hint from the tethered tuners. He's going on vacation, and he asked if I would watch his Taylor Acoustic while he's gone. Somehow, he's under the impression that it might disappear while he's gone, and he'd have to come here to look for it anyway. ;)

21. rtslinger

rtslinger

Landy67 since this is in the humor section I get that you find it funny. You and your brother have a good enough relationship that if he borrows something from you, you know it wasn't done to hurt you. I like the tuner tie to the snark very funny RTS