1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Head Case: solutions for small bass heads?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by hobbes1, Apr 12, 2014.

1. hobbes1

hobbes1

I have searched as many terms here and with google as i can think of to try and see examples of what people are doing if they want to have some sort of close fitting box or case for a small bass head (in my case a GB Shuttle 6.0). I don't really want a full size rack but I would like a better way of having the head on top of my 1x12 cab.
    The cab that I have currently has a top handle so the head won't sit flush and I also like the idea of the head being a little bit up off the top of the cab, yet sturdily mounted so I won't inadvertently pull the head off the cab while playing. Of course, I can remove the top handle and put on side mounted handles and i've been thinking about that.
    I'm just wondering if anyone out there has cobbled together a way of screwing a piece of metal bar into the sides of the cab and have it go up and over the cab and use L brackets to mount the head to the bar? Just thinking out loud to myself but wondering what other solutions people have come up with.
    Thanks

2. wave rider

wave rider Supporting Member

Taller feet on your amp will give it clearance over the handle, seen a few people do that. If you want to do a bracket, there is usually an original one on ebay; could be easier than fabricating one.

Also, run your cable through a cabinet handle if possible to lessen the chance of pulling the amp off the cab.

=wr=

3. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

Get some sticky-backed velcro, one side on the amp, one side on the cab?

4. hobbes1

hobbes1

@mohawk: yeah, I thought of that too and could do so if i take off the top strap. I kind of want some space between the amp and cab though to cut down on vibrations on the amp.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. popgadget

popgadget

Disclosures:
    Authorized Greenboy Designs Builder, Scabbey Road
    How about a piece of 1" thick neoprene with a cut out for the handle?Throw that on top of the cab, and the amp on top of that.

7. hobbes1

hobbes1

hmmm...yes, see that is available on amazon. not a bad idea at all. only problem would be the remaining risk of me accidentally pulling off the head from the cab. i guess looping the cable through the handle and then the neoprene and then the head could work.....

8. sloppy_phil

sloppy_phil Supporting Member

+1

This is the easiest solution to your problem. Will it stop you from knocking the head off the cab? Probably not, but I think you would kinda have to go out of your way to knock the head off during a gig (and I play on many tight stages with a similarly sized head/cab set-up)

9. lz4005

lz4005

If you're that worried about pulling the amp off while playing get a wireless.

10. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads. Supporting Member

I've never had an issue with the head moving (I have a Car in BX-500 head and carpeted cab).

How about 1/4" quarter round in a rectangle shape that you put the head in? If the head gets pushed or pulled a little, it still won't move, and the box won't be obtrusive when you are carrying the head.

11. hobbes1

hobbes1

thanks all, for your input. you've given me a few things to think over.

12. wighat

wighat

You could get an SVT. I've only pulled mine off the cab a couple of times.

13. vickde

vickde Supporting Member

I use a gardener's kneeling pad that I bought at one of the home repair big box stores. They are online for $5-$20. It's an inch thick and 16" x 12" or so. It both keeps the amp from sliding around and isolates it from the vibration of the speaker cab.

14. dminer

dminer

Somebody could be making a killing if they designed a smaller, universal, class d bass amp case that could easily secure to your cabinet. If it could universally house markbass, genz benz, orange, or any of the other numerous small heads it would be an instant success.
    I finally bought the smallest rack-mount case that I could get for my Little Mark III and I'm happy with it but I was a little surprised that as long as these smaller heads have been around that nobody has come out with a one case fits all solution!

15. lz4005

lz4005

I'm not. They're small enough to be carried in one hand or fit in the side pocket of a gig bag. Putting them in a case is unnecessary for most players and just makes them bigger.

16. hobbes1

hobbes1

cool idea. thanks for that suggestion!