Head for Eden 410 Cab?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by kbodonne, Dec 6, 2012.

1. kbodonne

kbodonne

I've recently found myself with a David Eden 410 Cab w/ tweeter that I just knocked the dust off of and can't wait to use. (My boss is a bassist who doesn't use it anymore)

What amp suggestions do you guys have? I'd like something that has some growl behind it, drive/distortion, maybe a tube preamp? But I change my tone regularly at gigs between songs to drop to super low end stuff or some twang to get some slap funk going. I believe the amp is 700 watts. I'm not so much knowledgable of the tech side as much as I am the sound side...:bassist:

I know GK makes some reasonably priced heads and that's what I'm looking for, something that won't break the bank, but quality.
    What ya thank?

I have a Peavey TNT Tour 115 that can plug into another cab if rigged right. Could I do this with that cab and amp combo???
  2. Rockin Mike

Rockin Mike Supporting Member

Nothing matches an Eden cab like an Eden head.
    Get one with the 5-band EQ for really good tone tweakability.
    shelving bass and treble, and 3 bands of semi-parametric midrange.
  3. vgbob

vgbob

Not sure what you mean the amp is 700 watts. Do you mean the Eden cab is rated for 700?
    You could use the Peavey with the Eden as an extension speaker, but you would have to make sure the Eden cab is 8 ohms, as the total of the internal 15 inch speaker and any external cab connected to the Peavey can be no less than 4 ohms (meaning the external has to be 8 ohms). The Peavey
    manual for a TNT 115 calls it 300 watts RMS @ 4 ohms which is what the two together would be. So, you'd have to see if that was enough to give you the volume and headroom you like.
  4. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Take the cab and your bass down to a few stores and try out all the amps. Something will speak to you.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Rockin Mike

The only cab Eden makes today that's rated for 700w is the D410XLT.
    I can't speak about yesteryear.
    If you've got one of those you have one of the best-sounding cabs in the business.

You need to know if the impedance of the cabinet is 4-ohms or 8-ohms and make sure the amp does not output more than 700w at that impedance.

For example, if the amp is rated to put out 700w at 8 ohms, it would probably put out something like 1200 or 1400 watts at 4 ohms, and could possibly blow the speakers if you have a 4 ohm cabinet.

Granted that would be a really high powered amp, but such beasts do exist.
  7. Bass_Pounder

Bass_Pounder

None of this makes sense..........

First of all, the wattage rating of a cab is the thermal limits, not the mechanical limits.

That cab will in no way handle 700 watts anyway.

You can use amps with less power, or with more - the trick is listening to your speakers and knowing when they are at their limits.
  8. MrLenny1

MrLenny1 Supporting Member

Eden 405 600 watts @ 2 ohms
    405 watts @ 4 ohms
    230 watts @ 8 ohms
    Check the back plate on your cab to see how many ohms
    it's rated for then look for an amp's output to match it.
  9. kbodonne

kbodonne

As it turns out this cab is a Eden D-410T and the ratings say: Watts 540, Z 8. So my initial post was incorrect on the wattage rating.

So I'm thinking from what I've read that I could plug this in with my Peavey as long as I don't max out the volume? If there's any chance of this blowing either speaker TELL ME!!! Don't want that to happen!
  10. jungleheat

jungleheat

SWR Bass 350 would be a good match for that cab probably. And they are cheap. Tube preamp too. Plenty of low end if you want.
  11. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender and Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    I would look for a used Eden head.
  12. SJan3

SJan3

I used to have this cab with a GK800rb.
    I thought it sounded terrific!
  13. Rockin Mike

It makes sense. Matching a cab's rated load-handling ability with a head's rated output is a way of sizing a rig for compatibility.

Being aware of how your system performs and keeping a trained ear on it is a way of keeping the actual load within the actual limits of the speakers.

Pre-purchase sizing is a different issue than real-time load monitoring. Getting the right-sized head for your cabinet is a good first step in keeping your speakers safe. After the purchase then yes you should keep an ear on them.
  14. kbodonne

kbodonne

Thanks for the help! I think I'm going to get a head for it, used Eden would be ideal. But until then I'm going to try it out with my Peavey. I'll let you know how it goes.

Keep coming with suggestions too!
  15. IPYF

IPYF

If you're going 2nd hand and you're on a budget keep an eye out for a used Nemesis RS400. They're a buuuulllllsh*t amplifier in my opinion but they were never popular enough to remain on Eden's product line. I actually regret selling mine really badly. Not the loudest amp I ever owned but it had the nicest tone.
  16. Bassmann1968

Bassmann1968

Have a look in the Eden Forum,
    there you will always find some heads in the classified section.
  17. kbodonne

kbodonne

So does "buuulllsh*t amplifier" = a good thing?
  18. Lowactnsatsfctn

Lowactnsatsfctn

:eyebrow:
  19. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
  20. Rockin Mike

+1
  21. IPYF

IPYF

Yeah in this case buuulllsh*t means good. I loved that head. If I were a wealthy fellow ever again I'd probably try to track another one down to have at home.