1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Head recommendations for ampeg svt810av

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by VinnyIuspa, Dec 19, 2013.

1. VinnyIuspa

VinnyIuspa

This is my first post. A few weeks ago I purchased a new svt810av to replace my old acoustic 810 and so far couldn't be happier with the new sounds I'm getting. I'm currently using a Peavy tour 450 head that I got for cheap and while the tone is pretty decent I feel like it could be much better. Within the next few months I will be looking to upgrade and I'm basically posting this to broaden my horizons as far as which heads to check out. I live in northern NJ so there are quite a few music stores within driving distance, meaning I should be able to try out a variety of different heads. I know of a vintage Ampeg V4B for sale in my area, I've yet to try it out myself but from hearing clips on youtube they sound great.

My playing style is an aggressive,fast three finger technique, I hit the strings really hard. I play metal and hard rock and my main bass is a Musicman Bongo 4HH.

That being said, I'm looking for recommendations from people who have had experience with an svt810av and Musicman Bongo basses. I'm open to all suggestions as far as price and tube/solid state heads go.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/111967613@N02/11453853325/
    here is a picture

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps
    Well the obvious choice is a tube SVT of some sort, though I've also got a new V4B and it kills into an 810. An SVT 4 Pro is also a great choice if you like a tighter more SS sounding version of the SVT. And if weight is a factor, there's always the SVT 7 Pro and PF500/800. Come to think of it, any Ampeg head would be good ;) with the possible exception of the B2RE/SVT450h, which is more for folks who don't care for the usual tones you get with Ampegs. I'm not one of them, though.

3. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

IMHO I would go with a PF-800. I love my PF, and have played it through a 810 a fair bit. I play a BRF Sterling HS for reference.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. AdamR

AdamR Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: VF Cables, Dirtbag Clothing
    Lots of great amps that will sound good through your 810. Ives used GK800RB, GK1001RB and now a Hartke Kilo.

7. VinnyIuspa

VinnyIuspa

At my local rehearsal studio they had an SVT IV pro and an SVT II each running through an 810 respectively and they both sounded pretty great. Of the two I definitely preferred the II. I can't seem to find any for sale unfortunately.

Jimmy, how is the v4b as far as volume is concerned when you play it through your 810? I understand it's only 100 watts but I'd like to hear what your experience is as you actually have used the combination.

Adam, I have tried out the kilo through a hydrive 810 and was pretty impressed with the sound, although there are a few too many knobs and buttons on it lol never the less it was a great sounding amp.

8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Vinny, it's pretty loud. Not quiet by any means. However, the difference for me is that cranking a V4B into an 810 is very loud but somewhat tolearable, whereas cranking an SVT into an 810 makes me nauseous within seconds. If you don't turn them up louder than they can go clean, though, the SVT will obviously go a bit louder, but it's not quite as much as you might think. It's noticeable but not a night and day difference.