1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Head(s) that match up well w/ Bergantino HD cabs

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by AMp'D.2play, Dec 12, 2012.

1. AMp'D.2play

AMp'D.2play Supporting Member

In the last few weeks, my volume/tone needs have changed so I'm now looking for a versatile, lightweight head that matches up well with my Bergantino HD112 x 2 stack (instead of my SWR Golight 210). My current head-of-choice is the Aguilar AG500, but I'd like something more micro to bring to gigs. Price point is ~ $600-700 ish. We are a standard rock cover band (7-8 pc, incl a loud lead guitarist :rolleyes: & 2 percussionists) which, beginning in January, has lined up some regular gigs at larger places (w/ house sound).

Some ideas that I'm kicking around are:
    • Tone Hammer 500
    • GB Shuttle 9.2 (used; not the Max)
    • SWR Headlite
    • Orange TB500 (recent entry, not really micro, but seems to be getting some decent attention, plus it's a little pricier)

I'd consider getting a ShuttleMax 9.2, but if I up my budget that much, I may just bump it up even further and consider a Tecamp Puma 900 (I used to own a 500).

I think I'm most interested in hearing/learning which heads would match up best, or better yet, which heads I should avoid based on the tonal characteristics of the Berg stack.

Lastly, I've never really considered GK &/or Ampeg heads for some reason, but you never know ...

2. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Do you like the vibe your your current amp? If so take a real good look at that tonehammer.

3. darren1970

darren1970

I'd seriously consider the GB Streamliner heads too.

I went to but a Shuttle and ended up with a streamliner. Great sounding amp.

4. KJung

KJung

With those wonderful cabs and your playing context, and your budget, I can't imagine that you wouldn't be thrilled with the Aguilar TH500.

Extremely reliable, fat, classic tone with VERY powerful EQ, very loud for its rating, very full in the low end, small, light, no tubes (simplicity/reliability), and with the typical 10% discount and free shipping from Musician's Friend, it is a great deal.

Save your pennies for the very nice padded Aguilar bag that is sold direct by Aguilar.

Another option would be the wonderful Markbass LMIII.... a bit more relaxed in the midrange than the TH500, and cleaner with fewer tonal variations available, but very solid performer for a 'clean but warm tone'.

Edit: The TH500 sounds more like the DB750 than the AG500 you are currently using... fatter, warmer, bigger sounding.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

I'd be very tempted to go for the TecAmp Puma 900, if I were in your shoes. From everything I've gathered about that head, it would sound fantastic through a pair of Bergantino HDs.

Of course, not everyone has the same set of ears, and one could only speculate how well that combination would work for you and your band. Still... :meh:

MM

7. KJung

KJung

Great option, but double his stated price point.

8. AMp'D.2play

AMp'D.2play Supporting Member

Good point! Actually, MF has extended their 15% off deal from last weekend so that it expires today. I have a few more hours to decide to pull the trigger on the TH500 (or the LMIII for that matter, but I think I'd prefer keeping it in the Aggie family). The local nature of Aguilar (NYC) and their stellar CS are also big selling points for me.

And the TH500 is different enough in tone from the AG500, that I'd have some versatility owning both.

Also, while my P bass hasn't been getting as much love lately now that I own a Sadowsky WL & a Music Man reflex, I've read your posts stating that a P bass through the TH500 flat out kills!

9. PCR

PCR

Funny you should ask...

I just picked up my second HD112 recently (it's not even completely broken in yet). I was waiting to for the new speaker to break in before posting, but since you asked.

IMHO... I like my Shuttle 9.0 through this rig more than my MB LMIII. I really haven't found a setting that I really like out of my MB that I like better than my Shuttle 9.0. But, that's probably just me.

I don't have a lot of experience with other amps (mostly these two). But, from the two I have, my GoTo amp is my S9.

[​IMG]