Head wider than cab

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by tgriley62, Apr 14, 2014.

1. tgriley62

tgriley62

I recently bought a Hartke LH500 & a Peavey 2x10 cab & plan on adding a second 2x10 in the near future. I have the 2x10 in the vertical position. The problem is that the LH500 is wider than the cab & the feet on the head are just on the cab enough to keep it level. When I get a second 2x10 I am sure it will be stable but, I don't want to risk the head falling off. I know that I should get a rack case & I plan to in the future but at this time its not in the budget. So is there any down side to removing the feet from the head so that it sits flat on the cab?

2. Passinwind

Passinwind Charlie Escher Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Make sure it doesn't impact cooling. Are there any vents in the bottom? I sometimes just throw an appropriately wide board under the amp in those situations.

3. tgriley62

tgriley62

Thanks, a sturdy piece of plywood would work. As far as cooling goes this amp has the airflow from front to out through the fan in the back

4. Technotitclan

Technotitclan Lurking TB from work

Stack the cab on top of the head.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Rockin Mike

Rockin Mike Supporting Member

Save the rubber feet and screws of course, so you can reinstall them if you want to or when you sell the amp.

The first time you play it with no feet keep a close eye to see if it's going to scoot off the speaker when the thing starts vibrating.

You might want to get a piece of rubber mat or something to put between the amp & speakers to keep it from sliding.

Or even get stick-on rubber feet and put them on the amp in a location that fits your cab.

Or get a smaller amp head

Or duct tape

7. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

I have done two different things in this case .. on the bottom of my 400RB, I have screws on the underside that are just screwed into the frame to hold it together, I installed feet in those screw holes so it now sits securely on the cab ... you could just move the outside ones in, and the inner screws out if you dont have any extra rubber feet ...

.. on one of my sets of 210's, I actually have rubber feet screwed to the top of the TOP cab pointing up, and the head sits on those ... simple, costs little to nothing, works with several heads, and does not interfere with cooling ...

I have never been a fan of mounting heads on surfaces (foam, etc) that does not let air to flow underneath of it and may actually hold heat, or subjecting the head to the vibration of resting directly on the cab if you take the rubber feet off .... and an extra board or whatever is just one more thing to carry ... JMHO

Attached Files:

8. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

I use a pair of 2x10 cabinets in a vertical stack. I've yet to have an amp fall off the top of the stack. All my amps are in SKB rack cases.

Edit: My Avatar shows one of my amps on the floor beside the stage. It was a small stage!!!! :D

9. JimmyThunder

JimmyThunder Supporting Member

small piece of plywood under the feet is the simplest and reversableist

10. negativefx

negativefx complete hack Gold Supporting Member

11. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

He has been known to stack them the other way round as well. Amp on the bottom and the 2x10s atop. :D