Heading to Raleigh, NC.. Gimme some ideas!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by gustobassman, Dec 5, 2012.

1. gustobassman

gustobassman I'm only here for the Afterparty Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Schroeder Cabinets, D'addario, Planet Waves
    Yes, California boy is going to NC for a few days and i need some ideas! I'll be staying in Cary, and i do know we will be hitting "The Pit" (famous from many BBQ shows), but other than that i'm stumped. We'll be out there Dec 21 (aaggh Armageddon!! :rollno:) - Dec 25... any good shows or anything to do that close to Christmas? :help:
  2. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

NASCAR is abundant. I hear tell they take biscuits and sausage gravy pretty seriously too.
  3. gustobassman

Disclosures:
    NASCAR?? Where??? :D

Well, i like your ideas. Imma gone get me some biscuits maybe.. ;)
  4. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

The NASCAR teams have garages or some such that you can visit. Not sure if there's anyone out of Cary.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. TheEndIsNYE

TheEndIsNYE

Oh hey, I live in Cary!
  7. gustobassman

Disclosures:
    That's on the list.. the lady and i are HUGE race fans. Besides NASCAR, we went to the season finale IRL race in Fontana this year. Our first race, but wow, was it awesome!!

These were our seats, and the other a good shot of how big the Grandstand is. I almost needed a Sherpa... too many stairs. It was also the big "heat wave" day SoCal had.. it was 107+...
  8. Bert Slide

Bert Slide

Whatever you do, while in NC, NEVER EVER tell this joke, esp. if you are on stage and you want to get out alive:

Q: What do Pink Floyd and Dale Earnhardt have in common?

A: Their last hit was the wall.
  9. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

That isn't funny
  10. 1SHOT1HIT

1SHOT1HIT

Lol, I thought it was kinda funny!

A bit in bad taste sure, but still kinda funny!! :)
  11. Unprofessional

Unprofessional Supporting Member

Stay off of I-40 as much as you can. If you are interrogated by the locals, Cary stands for Concentration Area for Relocated Yankees. You'll have to get a current local ruling as to whether or not Californians are considered Yankees.

Duke University campus is stunningly beautiful and a great place to walk around and gawk. The state museum in Raleigh is cool if they're open and you're into that kind of thing. You can't swing a stick without hitting a BBQ place. I'm sure your local hosts will have their opinions. It's been too long since I "lived" there to quote names.

Unless the world has changed, NC has some strange liquor laws. All of the bars are "private clubs". When you first walk in, they'll refuse to serve you unless you're a member. You can apply for membership (they used to be a dollar typically) on the spot but you cannot drink there that day. However, any member (except those that work there) can sign for you as a guest. The staff cannot facilitate the transaction, but an offer to buy a member a drink usually gets the deal done.
  12. gustobassman

Disclosures:
    :eek:

Point taken!
  13. jp58

jp58

I'd say to catch a Hurricanes game, but there isn't hockey this year. My family is from the Outer Banks, so I make a stop in Raleigh every year or so. During the summer, I always make it a point to play a round or two of golf, but with a Xmas trip, I don't think you'll have that luxury.
  14. BassDoc51

BassDoc51

That's like the college basketball capital of the world. Maybe you can go to a game if that's of any interest.