Headlight issue, electricians help'

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by FreakyStyley69, Nov 26, 2012.

1. FreakyStyley69

FreakyStyley69

1..2..3.. Go!

I get 12v to the socket but with bulb in the socket I get 0.

1No light,
    2 it's not the bulb,
    3. the bulb cannot short to ground
    4. It's single filament, the other high bulb works fine, 12v wether bulb is in socket or not.
    5 it is not relay.
    6 it is not the high/low switch.

What's this mean?
  2. Truktek2

Truktek2

Not sure what you mean by 3 and 4, but if you have 12 volts check your ground. If ground is good, me thinks the socket is not making good contact. (assuming you have the right bulb that works)
  3. FreakyStyley69

FreakyStyley69

3. The only thing I could think of was the power was flowing from the prong shorting on the vase and not back to the other prong I was metering, but bulb is removed from base and not contacting anything that can conduct electricity.
  4. Finsterino

Finsterino

Dirty contacts / junctions / wire crimps will present a high resistance, that you will only see when the bulb is installed.

Look for corroded / dirty wiring /contacts , if you can. Also look at the fuse box, could be corroded in there.

Do they salt the roads where you live? Salt is a killer for wiring.
  5. FreakyStyley69

FreakyStyley69

No but thanks, makes sense.
  6. FreakyStyley69

FreakyStyley69

Schematics if anyone is interested lol. I'd think not but ya know. What I don't get is how my brights can turn on with relay 51 pulled.. That made me question the whole schematic.

Attached Files:

7. Truktek2

Truktek2

I've seen freaky stuff like a wire that had most of it's strands severed except for 1 or 2. It would show 12 volts at the load, but wouldn't carry the amperage due to lack of conductive material. If your handy cut the hot wire at the socket and run a hot lead from your battery + to it. If it works your problem is in the feed wire. Can't see the schematic on my phone, but will try to.check it out.when I get home.
  8. Lowactnsatsfctn

Lowactnsatsfctn

If its a Pontiac, The BCM is bad:bag:

What's the Make and Model?
  9. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

You can measure voltage but not have current once the load is present. Check your fuses- if the one for that light was used for an aftermarket accessory or the terminal is loose/corroded, you won't see anything when the bulb is in place.

If you have a test light, try that on the same socket, but use a different ground reference.
  10. dieselbass

dieselbass

can't really read the schematic. If one side works but not the other, you're seeing reference voltage at the socket, could be a rubbed wire as truktec mentioned, also check the ground as bad grounds cause all manner of mayhem. Only takes a little corrosion/oxidation and chaos ensues. If problem is on the battery side, look closely for anomolies due to acid.
  11. Gazman

Gazman

My guess is a faulty relay. We can't read the schematic, it is low res...but can you link to it?

If the relay is the same as one of the others in your car, swap and test again.

Good luck!
  12. FreakyStyley69

FreakyStyley69

It's actually a yamaha r6 05.
  13. FreakyStyley69

FreakyStyley69

1 fuse powers every light on the bike.
  14. FreakyStyley69

FreakyStyley69

I didn't think y'all would actually be willing to look at it!

You can find it here http://www.r6messagenet.com/forums/pdf/03-04R6_service_manual.pdf
    Page 396 is schematic page 397 is description of numbers.

Highlighted in white is the lighting circut.

And relays checked out fine. I have swapped tho same thing.
  15. Gazman

Gazman

It's a bike? I assumed it was a car, my apologies!
  16. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

If you had posted that it was a bike in the first place, I think the responses would have been a bit more appropriate and accurate. Why didn't you include this, originally? It's not the same for a car and bike. Similar, but not exactly.
  17. FreakyStyley69

FreakyStyley69

Actually I cannot see any reasons they aren't similar. Point is, it has 12v without bulbs. It has all the same parts a car has. Fuse switch relay ecu, it's dc and 12v.
  18. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Gas 12V? I didn't know 12V came from gasoline.

It has all the comments a car has? Interesting - I've never heard a car comment about anything.
  19. FreakyStyley69

FreakyStyley69

Sorry bro iPhone typos you win.

Anyways I got it sorted out.. There was no continuity from relay to headlight... But the was 12v.. I don't get it but hey I fixed it.
  20. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

Yeah, it's 12VDC but cycles and cars have major differences in how they're designed and built. A car also protects most of the wiring by placing it inside of the body and a lot of cycles have exposed wiring with weather seals. Also, if the headlight(s) move with the handle bars, the possibility of wire breakage inside of the loom is there, unlike a car or truck. Having worked on cars, trucks, boats, semis, a few bikes and an Oscar Mayer Wiener Wagon, I can say with confidence that how well they're wired varies wildly.