Headphone amp vs. Small combo

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by RxFunk, Dec 22, 2012.

1. RxFunk

RxFunk

Just wondering if I should get a headphone amp, or a small combo amp. I will only be playing in my room and I know a lot of you will say the combo just because you think I'll play out at small gigs in the future but honestly I really won't be. Keep in mind whatever I get I need it to have a headphone jack regardless(parents aren't too keen on the noise :)) I know I have a thread floating around here about amp recommendations and I got great advice there, just want to know the verdict on headphone amps and if they're worth it, or if I should just save up and get a small amp. Thanks guys!

2. RxFunk

RxFunk

3. mcglyph

mcglyph

Media:
    Don't ever plan on playing out with it? Headphone amp hands down? Why the question? I mean there are some pretty sweet headphone amps, and all headphones will sound ten times better with one. So, you get cool tunes in your ears, and practice your bass at the level you need. Sweeet. You get a tube headphone amp, those things are supposed to rock. I will have one one day. Like this...http://www.wooaudio.com/products/wa6.html

4. MrLenny1

MrLenny1 Supporting Member

If you go combo make sure it has a headphone out and you can
    turn of the main speaker.
    I use a headphone amp basically.
    Tascam BT 1 , MP3 version. Up to 250 tunes in memory.
    Metronome, tuner, effects and much more.
    Fits in my shirt pocket.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. RxFunk

RxFunk

That looks awesome! Little too expensive though.

7. RxFunk

RxFunk

Do they sell those on MF?

8. RxFunk

RxFunk

Anyone use the VOX Bass AMPlug?

9. Mehve

Mehve

Dedicated headphone amps are largely wasted on instrument amplification. Furthermore, even a tube-based headphone amp still has the goal of accurate reproduction, whereas a tube-based instrument amplifier leans towards the option of careful distortion. And of course, the headphone amp gives you basically zero options as far as EQ, drive or inputs are concerned. All for a much higher price.

If you're certain that you don't need an actual amp/speaker, I'd suggest you look at a micro-mixer. A wider range of gains to accomodate different instrument output levels, basic EQ options, multiple channels so you can mix your instrument with music tracks, output channels to send the signal elsewhere (i.e. if you wanted to record on your computer). You can get good units for under $100 new without much trouble, cheaper if you score one used. I myself use a Behringer Xenyx 502, got it for $50 new.

10. Duke21

Duke21

Get an iPad and Jamup XT app. Killer tone, better then any bass combo.

11. RxFunk

RxFunk

There's a Behringer one I looked at myself, don't recall the model but it's $40 new. How exactly do those work btw? Do you just plug right into it?

12. RxFunk

RxFunk

Is it on android? I have a tablet( okay, technically it's not mine, but my parents never use it) I may try and use that..

13. mcglyph

mcglyph

Media:
    I got, it and used it for about a week. Pretty sweet for what it does. VERY cheaply made..the housing is just crappy plastic, and the adjustment wheels are flimsy as well. The sound is not bad; I found myself wishing for the exact same thing made of good metal, with more robust controls. Has a bunch of cool functionalities though just too likely to die very quickly.

14. RxFunk

RxFunk

15. JxBass

JxBass Supporting Member

I suggest a small combo with a headphone out, that way you have both bases covered.

16. Mehve

Mehve

Pretty straight-forward, really. I just plug the instrument into the mic channel, plug the headphones into the headphone-out jack, and play away. If I want to play with music, just route my computer audio output into one of the other inputs, adjust levels to taste. It's not necessarily a hifi option, but the sound is clean and easy to work with.

17. RxFunk

RxFunk

I have one now, and it's pretty awful. I know it's just a bad amp, but idk if I should save up for it or just get a headphone amp or mixer for a lot less

18. Sid Fang

Sid Fang Reformed Fusion Player Supporting Member

Yes indeed. There's one in my bass case at all times, and when I leave on long vacations or business trips, I always pack it in case I can borrow or rent a bass to keep my chops up. I won't lie to you, the tone is pretty crappy, but it's tiny, weighs nothing, and does *exactly* what I need to practice to MP3 tracks from my phone.

19. winegamd

winegamd

If you have an iphone, ipad, or ipod touch I would just get an iRig. If not i would look into the peavey micro or minx. They are cheap and plentiful on the used market and sound really good with headphones.

20. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Don't just TalkBASS - PlayBASS! Supporting Member

+1 on a small mixer; you will have some EQ for the bass and you can plug other music sources into it for practicing along to.

21. Luckydog

Luckydog Supporting Member

Get a bass micro head. My GB shuttle 9 has aux in, headphone out. Very light small head, fits in my bass case side pocket. Works great for quiet practice. Does not require speaker load. Hook up your iphone, ipod, mp3 player to aux in, get decent headphones, and practice away. If you decide to gig out, all you need to buy is speaker cab.

My headphone amp has gotten very little use, and is just collecting dust.