Headphone help please!

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Guinness20, Jan 24, 2013.

1. Guinness20

Guinness20

Hey fellow TB'ers,

I'm new round here, and a relatively beginner bass player. I'm tired of my neighbours at university complaining about my bass, so I'm looking for some headphones to plug into my amp.

I play a Epi T-bird, but it has gibson pick-ups on it, so it's far from the basic 'muddy' t-birds. Nevertheless, I need some headphones that have good clarity - not necessarily headphones suited for bassheads.

I don't know to much really beyond that, other than if possible I'd like to try and avoid the hassle of a headphone amp.
    Looking at reviews, I was thinking of the lines of:
    AKG K240 mkII
    Beyer dt770 (not sure though if it needs an amp)
    ATH D40
    Sennheiser 280pro

I'm open to anyfurther suggestions, but preferably not ATH M50 (heard the bass is boomy) or Sony 7506 (poor build quality).

Thanks for your time :)
  2. fuzzychaos

fuzzychaos Supporting Member

I have the ATH-50's and the bass is not boomy, however, the bass is tighter with a good headphone amp. Check the reviews on head-fi.org for them and the others you mention.

3. nick98338

nick98338

I have 2 pair of the ATH-40fs, and 3 pair of the ATH-30. One of the 40s is now seven years old. Still goin'. The 40s are more comfortable for long session use. The 30s fit more snugly and therefore get uncomfortable in just a few minutes. The bass response is roughly equal in both. Not boomy. Not even over emphasized. Balanced as I expect. No surprises. One big difference in these two is the bleed through. If that's at all important to you. The 40s leak more sound outside. The 30s leak almost nothing. That gets important for me during vocal recording. YMMV
  4. goinpostal

goinpostal

I don't know your budget but KRK KNS8400 cans are a good choice. For around $150 they're a good choice.
  5. Register to disable this ad