Headphone/Practice Amp Suggestions Wanted

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by thedovewarlord, Jan 12, 2014.

1. thedovewarlord

thedovewarlord

Looking into getting a GK MB200 mainly for headphone & practice.

Already have a 700RBII but would like to increase my practice time with something I can plug my iPhone into and play thru headphones anywhere in my house.

Often my free time to play is later at night, and contrary to my impulses and natural instincts, not the best time to rattle the house... or so I've been told.

Anyone have any other suggestions? Less expensive, comparable features, etc. Definitely like to play along to iPhone so must have approriate input.

GK has been my go to brand, and I like the idea of the 200 Watts this box offers, though I doubt I'd utilize it much as an "out loud" option when I have the 700RBII.

2. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

I use a Rolls PM351.

3. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Don't just TalkBASS - PlayBASS! Supporting Member

There are lots of threads on TB about this exact subject. ;)

Bottom line, buy a small mixer instead, that would be much more practical for what you are seeking, IM&MOO®. :cool:

Edit: Something as simple as this is all you really need for headphone practicing.

4. Nephilymbass

Nephilymbass Supporting Member

when practicing with headphones I mainly use my line 6 pod HD. its connects to my laptop with usb and I can jam along to songs using basically every type of media player you can think of. if theres a particular part I'm really wanting to learn I'll put it in pro tools or reaper, find the section i need to work on and make it loop and play just that part over and over till I can get it. effects are cool, not really into the overdrives and fuzzes but i really like the reverbs and delays a lot.

Attached Files:

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Don't just TalkBASS - PlayBASS! Supporting Member

There is a really cool program out there called Transcribe! that allows one to dramatically alter the speed downward and retain excellent audio quality. It also provides an excellent pitch adjustment control, along with looping, etc.

http://www.seventhstring.com/xscribe/overview.html

I have been using for a couple years now for learning songs; I have not delved into the finer points of the software yet, but it seems to be pretty powerful.

7. thedovewarlord

thedovewarlord

Thank you all for the responses and also apologize for duplicating other threads, I searched MB200 and didnt see much along the lines of this subject.

I will definitely check further into the USB mixer solution (great idea, another option) but I am looking to be as reductive in how many items I'd need to setup, looking for something self-contained so pairing with laptop might not be what I'm after.

Is the Rolls PM351 self contained -- meaning -- can I plug my bass into it, and my iPhone and jam away or would I need to loop thru my amp?

8. thedovewarlord

thedovewarlord

PS -- if anyone bought and uses the MB200 for this purpose, would like to know if they're satisfied or would they go another route altogether after their experience. Thanks again!

9. mbelue

mbelue

So how about an iRig? You've got an iPhone.

10. GrooverMcTube

GrooverMcTube

Vox Bass Amphone. Runs on AAA batteries that along with the amplifier are in the ear cans. There is a 3.5mm input for the iPhone. There is a compression effect, gain, tone and volume controls. Runs about $100. I doubt they sound as good as a small amp, but the lack of AC makes them extremely portable and if it saves your marriage...

http://www.voxamps.com/amphone/

11. wmheilma

wmheilma

I bought my guitar players old Pod X3 live to mess around with, and it works really well for practicing in headphones with my laptop or Android phone plugged in. It has bass models that work great for practicing.

12. thedovewarlord

thedovewarlord

Another two great options! Yes to saving the marraige too, my wife's a good sport about my bass & music. Very helpful guys!

13. Matt Dean

Matt Dean Supporting Member

I use a 3Leaf Enabler... It's a very high quality DI, EQ and headphone amp.

14. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

Yep, just plug in and jam.

15. Mugre

Mugre

I use a zoom b-1 that I got almost new but used from GC for like 45 dollars. Runs on batteries and drives headphones. I use it in the car while I wait for my kid to finish volleyball. When it's not driving headphones it sits on my humble combo amp to provide audio interest. I better add that it has a TRS stereo input for play-along.

16. Herbie Chesnutt

Herbie Chesnutt Supporting Member

I had he MB200 and didn't care for the headphone out, but then i realized i had crap headphones. So be sure to have a decent set of cans to get the most out of the rig.

second, utilize your iphone. JamUp plug is like $20 plus jamup app with bass pack for $20 plus decent cans and you've got all you'd ever need and more. Built in tuner and metronome and a crap-ton of amps/effects. Even if you buy everything they have available your still into it for short money.

can you guess I'm a huge fan?

17. orangejulius3

orangejulius3

I bought the GK MB200 for this reason!
    I needed something for bedroom practice and headphone practice.
    Works great! It has plenty of power for the bedroom and has a great tone with headphones. You do need a good pair though.

I usually play with the iPod plugged into the amp.
    This amp when pushed with hot pickups can get pretty dirty!
    I now use this amp for rehearsals. Best useful amp I ever had for being 2 lbs.

I would replace it with the same model in a heartbeat!

18. Pako

Pako Are we having fun yet? Supporting Member

I ended up picking up a Focusrite Saffire 24 DSP interface for recording. Turned out, it's an amazing practice tool as well. I have to be at the computer, but I can plug my bass in direct and monitor the bass and the practice source independently through my headphones. Works great. Also makes a sweet interface for Cubase or other DAW based programs.

19. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

I use a Korg Pandora PX4B thru Grado SR60 headphones for that sort of thing, and really like it - great sound, reasonably priced, and has been reliable... I usually play thru Mesa or Genz-Benz, and am pretty picky about sound - I don't feel "let down" in any way with the Pandora/Grado setup... I have a pair of EV Eliminator 15+horn PA tops in my livingroom, hooked up to my stereo - I'll patch the Pandora into that when I don't want to use cans, and it sounds great, too...

I've thought about picking up another Pandora as a backup, incase mine craps out - but it hasn't been necessary yet, and I use it ALOT...

- georgestrings

20. bassresistance

bassresistance

Yep. That and the JamUp app with the two bass expansions and you're sorted.

21. dincz

dincz

There are plenty of self-contained (i.e. without USB) small mixers to choose from. Make sure it has an instrument input though as normal line and mic inputs are too low in impedance - especially for a passive bass.