1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Headphone recommendation

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by frits51, Dec 9, 2012.

1. frits51

frits51 Supporting Member

Hi, everybody.

I'm looking for a headphone recommendation for my home practice room.

I have a GK MB115 amp with headphone jack and aux input for my Walkman mp3 player.

I have about $150 to spend.

Looking for good sound at moderate volume levels, good definition, full bottom end without distorting.

Thanks!

2. Swipter

Swipter

I like the audio technica mh50s. Amazon has them for that right now. They also come with a 1/8 with 1/4 inch screw on adapter. I have had mine for about two years with moderate use and no issues. You will get other recommendations.

3. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab ACME,QSC,Fame/Hondo/Greco user & BOSE Abuser Gold Supporting Member

SONY MDR7506.
    http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR7506-Professional-Diaphragm-Headphone/dp/B000AJIF4E
    Read the reviews. You can wear them a LONG time without them feeling uncomfortable too.

I kept re-foaming some excellent OLD Koss that I'd had for 20 years until they finally quit. Tried a LOT of phones using my mp3 player in various stores, read reviews, checked here, and these are the replacements for my old phones.

4. tonym

tonym Supporting Member

^^ This.

Great sound. Had them for ten years maybe. Was wearing them last night for 3 hours no problem.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. smogg

smogg

The Sony and the AT's mentioned are both nice choices. I like the Shure SRH440. It can be had for under a $100. Comfortable and a reasonably flat response.

7. dalahorse

dalahorse

Loves me my AKG 141 headphones. They're in the US$200 range. Audition a pair and then look for a used set?

There are a ton of awesome headphones out there. Good luck on your quest!

8. jmclearnon

jmclearnon

....... AKG's are generally very good!

9. frits51

frits51 Supporting Member

Thanks to all.

Other reviews have me leaning toward the Audio Technica ATH-M50.

Now to find the best price.

Thanks, again.

10. winegamd

winegamd

The M50's are a good choice. They have a similar response to the Beyer DT770's.

11. MNAirHead

MNAirHead

I just picked up the Sony studio standards... will let you know what we find out.

12. Mads

Mads Supporting Member

Audio Technica ATH-M50 and Beyer DT770 are the ones I used most in the studio (and at home after the kid is asleep).

I thing the Audio Technicas are a bit less fatiguing in use over time, but they both sound great.

13. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    Sony MDR7506. Just darn good all-around headphones.

14. G On Bass

G On Bass Previously Grateful Supporting Member

Another +1 to the ATHM50s. I've had them for a few years now with zero issues, even with my 5 string.

15. eriky4003

eriky4003

Had the Sony 7506 and currently use the BeyerDynamic DT770's. Another set usually mentioned are the Grado's. I believe the 60 or 80's are great for bass.

16. Raymeous

Raymeous

I'm only going to comment on what I have, AKG K240's and Sony 7506's.

Both models are of a solid build and are very commonly found in both home and pro studios, meaning that they offer consistancy from place to place. Both sets of headphones are found in the $100-$120 range, sometimes about $20 less depending on sales.

AKG K240's
    1) PRO - Light weight, full ear surround for comfort, openbacked for less fatigue over time.
    2) PRO - Has a very "light" and natural sound without overly hyped bass and treble.
    3) CON - Open backed causes occasional bleed into vocal mics
    4) CON - Impedance match ups cause them to be rather quiet. Aggressive drummers will blow them up trying to "hear better" while treating their kit like it owed 'em money, instead of just calming down a bit and playing like a human instead of a gorilla. (Can you tell I've dealt with this last bit?)

Sony 7506's
    1) PRO - Matched impedance with most sources means they can get loud
    2) PRO - Closed back means less likely to bleed into your vocal mics
    3) CON - Closed back means they can get hot/sweaty
    4) CON - They feel a little bassy to me after the AKG's

* - This is not the fault of the headphones, but since they are louder headphones I find myself cranking things up a bit more ("rockin' out!") than I should which of course causes more ear fatigue over time. Again this is the users fault not the headphones.

Anyway I hope this helps in some way. Both are great and I would like to have several sets of each, truth be told. :bassist:

17. jeffreyjrj

jeffreyjrj

I just bough the ATH M50 last week and I must say that I am quite pleased with them. They have fantastic overall sound and are extremely comfortable. They seem like they are pretty durable as well. The only thing that Bothers me a LITTLE is that there are no vents. After a while it gets a little humid in there, but it is not enough for me to reject these bad boys. I can jam for a few hours with those things and feel almost no discomfort.

If your a bass head as in you don't care for overall sound just want the booming bass maybe consider something else but for the price of 100$ on amazon, you can't really find much better.

If you want to spend your max budget you might find something a little better, but I don't own many studio quality headphones do this is the only one I can give you an honest opinion on.

Good luck bro!

18. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

19. KrisHayes

KrisHayes

Audio Technica M50's at that price point, no doubt.