Headphone recommendations?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by ryanms3030, Mar 23, 2014.

1. ryanms3030

ryanms3030

Looking for a good pair of headphones for silent practice in the $30-50 range. I currently use Sony MDR-V150 on the ear headphones that cost about $20 and would like to upgrade a little. Over the ear would be prefered

2. Ender_rpm

Ender_rpm

I am using those exact Sony's right now. Am also going to be looking at a new pair int he next couple months, the on ear style is getting fatiguing. Will likely order up a set of AT M40s, about $50 on Amazon. I have the M50's for home/studio, but I think the flatter response will be better for all day listening at work.

3. C130AVN

C130AVN Stringed Tubist Supporting Member

I have Grado SR60i, that are great all around headphones for everything, I use them for recording in the studio, ipod duty, general monitoring... I love them.

4. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist Gold Supporting Member

used my new sony mdr hf100 earbuds today, they sound pretty thick and bassy for about 30 bones

the v6s were more dynamic, but they are big studio style headphones and they cost around 55

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. slapfunk987

slapfunk987

You better check out the ATH-M30 Audio Technica headphones. Good for mp3/cd playback as well as practicing with headphone out from amp or practice headphone amp. Carries bass sounds really good

7. The 0wens

The 0wens

I had some audio technica ath m40s. I played with fender p bass through an old Behringer ultrabass. I got a 5 string lackland Which seems to have blown them out. Any recommendations that'll handle a low B?

8. fnordlyone

fnordlyone Supporting Member

Did you blow out headphones? I am asking because my only pair of phones came with my PockitRockit SB1 headphone amp. Was warned by my twanger guru that there was no way they could handle my low B, but they did and are pretty cheap headphones packaged with the SB1 which is $60 new shipped.
    So, can one blow out headphones with 5 strings? I'm looking for good headphones for listening back to recording now and wouldn't want to damage them by blasting my B though a headphone jack in a combo that has more power than a headphone amp.
    Vets?
    fnord!

9. atoms

atoms

If you can up your budget a bit I'd recommend the JVC HARX900

10. The 0wens

The 0wens

Yes. I played a 4 string p bass with them for about ayear and a half. I also played a little six string now and then. Now anything too low or over like a 3 in volume either clips out or distorts , not Ina good way. I've been doing more research since this post and it seems that there a couple pieces out made for bass that have wider frequency range , bigger drivers and can handle larger dB load.

11. The 0wens

The 0wens

So anyone have experience with Phil Jones H850 or CAD audio MH51?

12. LarryBTB776

LarryBTB776 Gold Supporting Member

I love my Phil Jones.

13. lowfreqgeek

lowfreqgeek Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Regenerate Guitar Works
    Phil Jones! Under $100 (got mine for about $85-ish) and they handle the bass SUPERBLY (B-string included)! Not only do they sound great with bass, but they have better high-end detail than my AKG K240s. I also A/B'd them with a set of Audio Technica ATH-M40s and the PJBs easy won out.

14. tobias3469

tobias3469 Supporting Member

I'd be very interested to try the Phil Jones headphones at that price point. After many years of failed attempts to practice through headphones I finally had great success with BeyerDynamic DT880's. (Sennheiser HD600 sound okay too) - these are the only headphones I've found that are actually useful for practicing and cost under $1000.

The only thing I've found that sounds better would be the planar driver design Audeze LCD-2 or the Beyerdynamic Tesla's (probably the best headphones I've ever heard)