1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

headphone type practice setup

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by somaramos, Jan 2, 2014.

1. somaramos

somaramos Supporting Member

I'm just returning to the bass community and have a question. I was wondering if there is a device that is simple without the negative aspects of horrible tone and buzzing, for practicing with headphones using the computer with some of the awesome youtube videos if have just come across. I was looking at the apogee but I believe that I must run that with garage band hence not being able to practice with youtube, also any recommendations for headphones capable of a bass signal. was looking at the PJ bass buddy also but was hoping for a simpler way not necessarily more cost effective just simple with excellent tone

2. Luckydog

Luckydog Supporting Member

3. Roland GR 88

Roland GR 88 Gold Supporting Member

ART Audio inc. Well made inexpensive headphone amps and other routing solutions. Owned by Yorkville in Canada, not hard to find.

4. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

Welcome (back).

Both those questions (headphone amp, headphones) are asked frequently.
    The same answers come up every time...

Please use the Search. You'll find lots of good recommendations and _why_ they are recommended.

The Amplug doesn't work for me for a variety of reasons - mostly - it doesn't fit well into one of my basses.

I use this: http://www.guitarworksinc.net/STORE/productdisplay.asp?productid=1423

$22 ready to go.

"The Best" includes the WalterWoods and the 3Leaf Enabler. Bring money. Lots in between.

Headphones: Sony, Beyer, Grado, Sennheiser. I like the Grado SR-80 as a good value and reproduce a full bass range including my low-B through but the $22 amp and my recording interface.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. garmenteros

garmenteros Junkyard Scout Gold Supporting Member

Get a budget interface (I like the focusrite saffire 6) and use any of a number of standalone vst plugins. I like ampeg svx and audiffex GK Amplification Pro 2. Ampeg SVX has a built in metronome and tuner which is a huge plus for me, but is a bigger strain on your computers CPU if thats an issue for you. Both sound equally awesome though, and quite different at that.

7. dsamudio

dsamudio Supporting Member

I have the Korg Pandora PX5D, but with my ipod there is some hum that I believe is cross over from the Phone.

http://www.korg.com/px5d

I use head phone in the out put and the ipod into the aux.
    Use the tuner.
    Add a little compression.
    Kick on the metronome,
    Or Play to a track.

There is a new version, the Pandora Mini:

http://www.korg.com/pandoramini

This is the route I would go today. No need fro 1/8 to 1/4 adapters.

Dimitrius

8. Art Araya

Art Araya

Used the AmPlug when traveling the last few years and it worked well. Audio quality is not great but it is more than adequate for practice purposes.

I recently got an iPhone so I'm using an Apogee JAM interface and the sound quality is GREAT. All of the music related tools that are available as well make this my new travel solution.

9. aphexafx

aphexafx A mind is a terrible thing. Supporting Member

I messed around with a dinky plug-in headphone preamp and it was really really (really super omgosh) bad. So this is what I use right now after dealing with this issue for a while (I live in a mid-rise condo and I play LOTS).

[​IMG]

Seems overkill but this is the result of much frustration and finally it's solved and I don't have to think about it anymore. It's integrated into my setup and it's also totally removable. Perfect for me.

I guess my point is that IF you care about your tone when you practice, you really need to drive a preamp or a DI designed for bass. THEN take that signal to mix with your play-along source and amplify it for your headphones. That's what the BassBuddy does but it's boutique, pricey, and not modular.

In my case I am monitoring the post-eq return from my LMIII, or, if I am without my amp I can monitor directly off the pedal board. In either case I am monitoring my processed signal just in front of the power amp section.

I know this is probably over-implemented for the OP's situation but it's food for thought.

I use Audio Technica M50s right now and they are great, if not TOTL. My headphones live a hard life. :p

10. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

Agree - especially if you're [DEL]playing around with[/DEL] using effects as you practice. I like the cheap headphone amp when I'm just working on 'bass stuff' - possibly trying to play along with a pre-recorded track - but mostly basic technique and intonation.

For anything else more real, such as working with the effects, I use the DI from the last pedal in the chain (B7K) and into the recording interface (Scarlett 2i2). This isn't very expensive and uses USB for power but doesn't -need- a computer if you're just using the hardware internal monitor.

You do need the DI, but nowadays, you probably need a DI anyway...

11. Linnin

Linnin

I use a ZOOM B3

12. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

A simple micro mixer will do what you need for a few tens of dollars. All have headphone sockets. Bass to one channel computer audio, MP3 player, iPod to a stereo channel.

13. somaramos

somaramos Supporting Member

Thank you all, you guys are great for responding so quickly. I guess I should put up and become a subscriber. I will prob pick up the PJ bass buddy maybe get lucky and find a used one, then on to the search for headphones. On my way to the subscriber dept.. Thanks again for the warm homecoming welcome.