Headphones

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Big Mike Ipp, Aug 4, 2012.

1. Big Mike Ipp

Big Mike Ipp

Hey Y'all,

I've went ahead and searched the forms for any and all information, however theres not a concise collection of headphone reviews and recommendations. There was one thread but I really didnt get much out of it in terms of decision making. I hope to publish this thread and get some feedback to help aid me in making a smart purchase.

I'm looking for an above average set of headphones as I now live in a townhouse and simply cannot use any kind of amp (even my little vox practice amp!) as it is clearly heard through my walls into my neighbors residence. Some of the information out there is for the cheaper range of headphones ranging up to $99, but I'm curious if I made the jump to $169-199 if there would be a discernible difference in both sound and production quality. I was looking at a few sets of AKG's, however most reviews indicated some design issues and loss of sound quality overtime. I'm wondering if anyone has had any experience with using AKG products (good or bad). I'm also considering any and all other brands, thanks in advance for any input as anything would be helpful.

Thanks!
  2. Derek Balonek

Derek Balonek

Senheiser makes some nice headphones. I have a pair of HD260s. They weren't too expensive and sound pretty nice.
  3. clauscaixa

clauscaixa

Hi

I'm rehearsing with my bass plugged into an Apogee Jam plugged into my iPad running the PocketGK app. I use a set of AKG K240 MkII headphones. Have had them about 6 months and use the an hour or more per day, for rehearsing, for recording and generally for listening to music.

I'm very pleased with them. I switched the stock vinyl ear cushion cover to the "velvet" covers that are supplied with the headphones. The velvet is a little more comfortable for prolonged wearing.

Sound quality is super. No annoying harshness to mids nor treble, and they go deep without mud.

There might be better ones but these fit my wallet and I think the build quality is really good, and the cord and jack is really high quality.
  4. happyg

happyg

+1
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. michael

michael

I'm planning on getting a set of Sennheiser - HD 280 Closed - Back Headphones for rehearsal. Very good reviews, replaceable cushions and good price point ($110). Very happy with my home use wireless Sennheisers.
  7. carbonfold

carbonfold

For bass and closed cans, I highly recommend Audio Technica ATH M50. Excellent cans!
  8. JxBass

JxBass Supporting Member

I'm very pleased with my Grado SR80s.
  9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I liked my AKG K240's at first, but nowadays, if I try to put only bass through them, I get distortion. Not as bad during playback, but drives me nuts when I play, even if it's the same volume.
  10. vin*tone

vin*tone

+1. ATH M50.

I use my Grados (Alessandro MS1's) for mobile listening - I have to resolder them every few months. Great sound but VERY cheap plastic construction. Wouldn't recommend them in a pink fit.
  11. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

+1 Mine only get used with a Cafe Walter. I think paying more would be a case of diminishing return, myself.
  12. JxBass

JxBass Supporting Member

Yup, only use mine with my Cafe Walter as well.
  13. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Media:
    Sennheiser Hd280's or Sony 7506. Both are sound good, both seem well built. The sony's pack down a little smaller. I can be happy with either on my head. Like everybody else, I used to use AKG 240's. I finally junked my last set when AkG told me it would cost more than a new set of phones to replace the cord. The HD280's have field replaceable cords. Not sure about the 7506. Got those used here from the GfS. I have 3 sets of the 280's and 1 7506 in my project space.
  14. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Yup - I have both a pair of Grado SR60s and Sennheiser HD280s, and the Grados work better for practicing bass - bass lines are definitely easier to hear with the SR60s... Be advised that the SR60s are "open backed" - which means you'll hear outside noises a little with them, but to me that's actually a plus: it allows me to hear my backup vocals while practicing...

Although I play thru a big 'ol rock rig for gigging(M-pulse 600 into a PH810), I spend more time playing thru a Korg Pandora into the Grado SR60s - and it still sounds very good to my ears...

- georgestrings
  15. Buster Brown

Buster Brown

I use AKGs constantly but for my home and when I travel (which is quite often) I prefer the Bose QC15s. They are comfortable, reproduce the music faithfully and are a breeze to pack and get through security.

For studio work, the Ultrasone PRO 900 is, by far, the best cans on the market. Expensive - but well worth it!

Cheers!
  16. bassfran

bassfran

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Lakland basses
    I've had my AKG k240's for many years and they still sound great.

The new ones have a detachable cable, but I don't care for the sound with the 'improved' impedance rating. Too much high end for my taste.
  17. MyMusic

MyMusic

I don't know how technology has changed, but I'm using the AKG K240 Studio Headphones. Been using them for maybe 10 years and I couldn't be happier.
  18. Road Bull

Road Bull Supporting Member

This is what I have been using. I can't say that I have used a lot of different headphones, but these, through my GB Shuttlemax sounds pretty good for the money.
  19. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

I like the Sony MDRV600, MDR7506 or MDRV6 phones. Of those three, the 7506 are the higher-end units.
  20. Catbuster

Catbuster

I have a set of Grado SR80s. And... They're even better for practicing bass than my set of HD600s. Impressive.
  21. Mehve

Mehve

Look towards studio type headphones. A lot of regular listening phones (even "audiophile" ones) tend to have a bass hump in their frequency response, which makes regular music sound great, but can make a straight bass signal sound like you dimed both the bass and notch settings.