Headpieces angle in headless installations

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Toban.Ivan, Mar 12, 2014.

1. Toban.Ivan

Toban.Ivan

Hi all.
    I'm once more in need of feedbacks from experienced headless builders.

As an experiment I'm slowly converting a Warmoth jazz bass with headless hardware.

I already done the most of the raw wood working and I'm finally planning in details the installation of the hardware.

For the tuners block and the saddles no problem really, for the Headpiece however I have a doubt.

The way I had cutted/modded the regular Fenderlike headstock allow me to Force the strings with a good/proper break angle but how should I consider the headpiece?

I've planned the use of this one:
    http://www.bass-parts.com/epages/61...S Headpiece"/SubProducts/"ETS Headpiece-0001"

Should I allign the string-holes in line with the forced break angle or should I Force the strings even more with a further 90 degrees?
    More or less as the Hipshot headless system require in case of regular strings use?

To make things easy I'll post pics as soon as I find a proper way to do this.. 'Till then thank you for your considerations.

Ivan

2. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

There's no need to create extreme break angles. It will make your nut hard to shape well (if you have one), and too much break angle will give you an instrument that won't intonate because of float at the zero fret or nut.

3. Toban.Ivan

Toban.Ivan

Tnx Pilotjones.

In fact it's hard to well explain what I mean without pics.

Let just sais that the strings, after the nut, will following the regular angle they have on Fender-like headstock pointing to tuners/strings retainer.

Now, what I need to know, is if the strings has to be forced in a different angle "diagonally across" the locking holes of the headpiece or if they may be just let go through straight.

Basically I don't know if and how I could trust the locking screws on the headpiece.. I wouldn't like them to loosen the string during a gig..