1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Heads that sound great through an Ampeg 8x10 classic? Other than an Ampeg classic

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Hoffman6000, Feb 3, 2014.

1. Hoffman6000

Hoffman6000

My touring rig is an 8x10 classic rig. Sounds great. Tubes and transformers keep blowing. I've had it serviced several times. Same thing.Sick of it. SO. My question is does anyone use any solid state heads with an 8x10? I'm not particular to the Ampeg sound. Prefer Eden, Agular or even SWR. Price isn't an issue as long as it's within an Ampeg Classic budget, label is paying. Just has to effectively push and Ampeg 8x10.The music is modern country with a rock edge.

2. VeganThump

VeganThump

I might recommend the SVT-7Pro. It's 1000 watts and it gets pretty close sounding to the SVT-CL. I own both and I honestly have been preferring the 7Pro over the SVT-CL lately. Oh and I don't worry about any reliability issues you hear about, they are old news and have been worked out.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps
    Transformers? What are you doing to it??? I have never once heard of an SVT transformer blowing.

Anyway, sounds like an SVT 4 Pro would be up your alley. You could use any of the other amps you mentioned as well. But seriously, how do you blow transformers?

4. Geri O

Geri O

I have an EBS Fafner head (not the Fafner II) that I'm about to pair with a friend's Ampeg 8X10 cabinet just to see how it sounds. I hope to do that sometime this week. I bought the Fafner used a month ago and it absolutely stokes me using it with my SWR 410 cabinet and 115 cabinet. Oops, the Fafner does use a single 12AX7 preamp tube, if that matters. I rather like my friend's SVT rig, though. Hate to hear you're having trouble with it.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. jj4001

jj4001 Supporting Member

Acoustic 320 and 370 both kill through an Ampeg 8x10.

7. kedo

kedo

GK 700rbII also is fantastic through an Ampeg 8x10.

8. Hoffman6000

Hoffman6000

@Jimmy, I exaggerate. I honestly don't know the problems. I just keep getting the yellow/green blink and no sound. We've had it retubed a couple times in the past year and it keeps happening. It's not my amp, it's the labels and they got it used. It went out at rehearsal tonight and I was asked what I wanted to play through...."anything?" I asked..."anything" they replied. So sky's the limit. I know Jimmy's gonna stick with Ampeg. But anyone pair an Aguilar or even an Avalon U5 and a crown with an 8x10 before?

9. okcrum

okcrum in your chest Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Dark Horse strings
    JimmyM's right - have you checked the cab and cabling? I've used an SVT7pro with an G-K 8x10 and it was pretty sweet.

10. 62Jazzbass

62Jazzbass

Older GK 400RB or 800RB.

11. makohund

makohund

Anything?

5 space rack, a poweramp (maybe QSC PL340), a rackmount Monique or JGR preamp, and a VTRM as a backup pre "just in case". (And while waiting for other preamp to be built/delivered.)

12. mbelue

mbelue

+1 Great pairing IMO. I'd recommend the 400rb first though as with an 810 you don't need the separate power amps. Don't be afraid of the boost!

13. ljazz

ljazz

I'm sitting here playing around with my Aggy TH500 hooked up to one of my gk neo112's and my '90 400rb into my other gk neo112..... a bit of gain for some grunt, and a touch of boost in the upper mids, and the Aggy can be made to sound identical to the old gk.

I've been playing the TH500 thorough my Heritage 810 with my band, and it sounds spectacular. I can't recommend it enough. Light, loud, and wicked sounding!

Check out George's tone in this vid....
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=psPFhu4kKgw

14. JGbassman

JGbassman

I have a gk mb800 I use as a back up to my tube svt cl. the low end is tighter and has more punch in the mids than the cl, but lacks the growl of tubes. just a cleaner, more defined sound. my cab is a 78 svt 810. They pair up nicely and lots of headroom.

15. el murdoque

el murdoque

Aguilar Tonehammer 350. Just for the looks.

16. johnpbass

johnpbass

Along the same lines - Ampeg PF800. I love the look of the tiny little heads sitting on an 810. That combo would kill, IMO.

17. mancefine

mancefine

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Orange Amplifiers and Spector Basses
    My favorite non-SVT Classic heads that leave you plenty of headroom with the 8x10 are the Orange TB1000 (get the 1000, not the 500) and the GK 1001rb.

18. MrLenny1

MrLenny1 Supporting Member

19. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

The amp has an issue that needs to be fixed. You said that you've put in more than one set of power tubes. It is important that the tubes be properly matched. Not all matched sets are created equal. Buy the tubes from a reputable source that does a good job at matching them for your make and model of amp (such as TCtubes.com).

Don't go off the CL because you have issues with one unit. Since management said "anything", you could try a new heritage SVT CL and cab. They are built a bit better. At the end of the day, any amp is going to sound good through an 810.

20. tallboybass

tallboybass Supporting Member Supporting Member

GK + 810 = Magic Time

21. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    Heads that sound great through an Ampeg 8x10 classic? Other than an Ampeg classic

Most of them. :D

GK 800RB is a tried and true combination....as well as most tube amps, because it's a big, loud, sealed cab.