1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Headset Mic Question

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by BMBassman, Mar 10, 2014.

1. BMBassman

BMBassman

Our drummer sings lead on a few songs, and key backups on quite a few more, yet struggles with a traditional boom mic.
    As a group, we are interested in getting him a headworn mic. We can find wired headsets fairly cheaply ( < $100), or a wireless one in the range of $250 - $300.
    I'm assuming any headset will be wired to a belt pack, and the difference between the two refers to the connection between the belt pack and front of house. Since he's rooted to his kit, he doesn't need the mobility of a wireless.
    What are some other considerations for this decision? I certainly don't want to skimp on gear that will be used on stage, but we also don't feel a burning need to hand Guitar Center more money than is needed. Is there an appreciable difference is sound / vocal quality (ie the difference between a mic for spoken word or presentations vs. singing range and dynamics), or any other difference we should be aware of?
    As always, I'm grateful for any input. Thanks in advance!!!!

2. Keithwah

Keithwah Supporting Member

I would be looking at a more traditional cardioid condenser such as the AKG C520 or a Beyer TG H54 as better solutions. Microphones for spoken word like the little flesh color ones by Shure, Countrymen, Ansr, and countless others do have models that are good for use in musical theater or performance, but they really aren't the easiest to cope with for full on "rock" vocals. You do want a mic that rejects from behind the mic well too. No need picking up that much drums and pushing them back through his monitors. For a super cheap dynamic, look at the Audio Technica Pro8 mic. Uncomfortable to wear, but it does reject feedback, it doesn't sound great, but they are a cheap option. Let the drummer figure out how to manage the extra mic cable you'll need to get to a snake or a mixer.