1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Hear myself

Discussion in 'Ask Janek Gwizdala' started by davidbassist78, Aug 14, 2012.

1. davidbassist78

davidbassist78

Hi there,
    I sometimes have trouble hearing myself in either a practice or live playing.
    Ive found when playing, that by having my head and speakers back about 2-3 metres that I hear myself better.
    But in a small practice environment that is sometimes not possible.
    I`m playing Ibanez BTB 6 str through SWR 750 and Henry the 8x8.
    Any advice?? Also would changing EQ settings help?
    Cheers David NZ
  2. janekbass

janekbass Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Founder and CEO of http://videobasslessons.tv
    David,

I've had this problem a lot over the years too! I've found that it's all to do with the little bass trap right in front of almost any rig you're playing. You won't really hear the sound until you're a good six feet in front of your rig. And that's why you hear yourself a lot better when you're standing farther away from your gear.

I've found that turning the speaker around to face backwards has worked sometimes in a small space. You might have to turn it up a little to make it work for the room, but you might also find you hear yourself a little better too.

I don't think EQ has a lot to do with it, and I've always run all my EQ totally flat and made any changes I need with my fingers and touch on the instrument.

And what kind of music do you play? an 8x8 and 750W head is a huge amount of power to be playing in a small space. You might want to invest in a small combo for practicing if your space is small.

Janek