Hearing some conflicting things... Basslines or Bartolini?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by TDSLaBassiste, Jan 30, 2014.

?

Bartolini or Basslines?

1. Bartolini

17 vote(s)
    68.0%
  2. Basslines

6 vote(s)
    24.0%
  3. Other (I'd like to avoid EMG and I need something to retrofit an EMG40)

2 vote(s)
    8.0%
  1. TDSLaBassiste

TDSLaBassiste Supporting Member

I need new pickups and I'm torn between the Basslines soapbars and the Bartolinis that retrofit an EMG40 cavity. I've heard a lot of people say the Basslines are a bit hotter, but others say that if you get the right Barts, they're just as hot. Can anyone give their opinion on which they prefer? Or which Bart for this size would give me the right sound?

I'm looking for a naturally pretty hot pickup, but something I can EQ with my preamp to get a little rounder and darker sound when I need to.
  2. CrashClint

CrashClint I Play Bass therefore I Am Gold Supporting Member

IMO both pickups sound good, the Barts have a little more mid growl and the Basslines are more modern with a little scoop in the mids. What type of preamp are you considering using? Duncan has a preamp that sounds pretty good matched with the Basllines and Bartolini pickups sound good with an array of preamps, Demeter, Bartolini, Aguilar depending on the tone you are wanting to hear.
  3. TDSLaBassiste

I'm probably going with the Bartolini 5.2A/P preamp because it really has everything I'm looking for, 5 knob configuration, A/P push/pull, and a mid selector. Only thing the Basslines has over Bart preamp is the slap switch, but the A/P is a pretty big deal to me.

Tone-wise, I'll be playing it in a melodic black metal band so I really want a sound that will cut through without sounding too brash.
  4. tylerwylie

tylerwylie Supporting Member

Classic Bass Bartolinis or get some Nordstrands made for that route. Big Singles would rock.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

From what you describe I think Barts are what you want.

Just scoop out the mids on any other preamp you get. Maybe boost the bass & treble little too. That's all it does...
  7. bongostealth

bongostealth Supporting Member

+1 for the Bartolinis. If you are using a Bartolini preamp, then the best match would be Bartolini pickups. These will give you the sound you want. I would recommend getting the dual-coil classic series and install coil tap switch(es) so that you can get single-coil tone and dual-coil tone to maximize the versatility of your bass.

The Basslines sound okay but they are very limited in their versatility. Just one sound and that's it.
  8. TDSLaBassiste

Now the only question is which Barts? There are four different sets available on BestBassGear

EDIT: If I go with Barts, I'm thinking about mixing the pickup types and using a 72M45C-B for the neck and a classic for the bridge.
  9. TDSLaBassiste

I'm probably not gonna do the tap switches just because I don't need them and I wouldn't use them so that point is kinda mute for me. I get that the Basslines are more limited tonally, but if they do what I need, I don't see the need to spend over twice as much for the Barts. One thing I was thinking about was getting the Basslines set then if I decide I want a different sound from one of the pickups, I could just buy the individual Bart I want and replace one of the Basslines and it would still be cheaper to do that.
  10. tylerwylie

tylerwylie Supporting Member

Go with the Classic Bass Bartolinis for both. They're not that expensive and sound awesome. I use them on a fretless with an ebony board to help get some upper frequency 'snarl' out of it. And I use a Bartolini 3 band preamp on that bass.
  11. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member

They have plenty of output as well.
  12. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

I wouldn't recommend mixing different pickups. Sometimes it works out fine, but you want both pickups to be matched to each other in a general sense. You don't want one to be significantly louder than the other for example.
  13. TDSLaBassiste

Ah, good point. That may not be the best route to take.
  14. TDSLaBassiste

Reading about the Bart pre-amp, I see quite a few people claim it's too muddy and lacks any clarity in the mids or highs. Anyone else have this experience? Now I'm considering changing the pre too.
  15. CrashClint

CrashClint I Play Bass therefore I Am Gold Supporting Member

If you really want aggressive, I would go with the Bart Classics with the Aguilar OBP3. In my Roscoe Century Standard, I have the Roscoe Barts (more compressed than the classics) and the OBP3 and I can walk on the guitar and keyboard if I so choose. I put my Shuttlemax 12 on top of 2 - 4ohm Epifani UL410 cabs, dial in the low mids and high mids and make them beg for mercy. :p
  16. line6man

line6man

Then wire one in.
  17. TDSLaBassiste

I just looked at the Aggy on bestbassgear and they have an option to wire one identical to the Bart that I was looking at so I think I may go with that.
  18. deckard

deckard

This.

My HG Thor-epoxied fingerboard fretless (my sole instrument) has the Bart NTMB 5-knob preamp with A/P push/pull & 3-way mid switch; previously with that I had Bart M34C pups (both installed by Mike Lull) and just never got as much high-end as I really wanted, for years...

Last spring on a hunch I finally had Mike remove the M34Cs and install M34CBCs (Classic Bass) instead, and it made a HUGE world of difference: LOTS of top end with plenty to spare - like someone took a blanket off the sound of my bass, literally -most definitely AWESOME!!!

I say go for the Classic Bass Bart pups + the Bart NTMB 5-knob, etc.

;)