Heat straightening an ebenol neck?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by 6stringvince, Apr 15, 2014.

1. 6stringvince

6stringvince Supporting Member

I'm wondering if anyone has tried to straighten a warped neck with ebenol fingerboard (fretless). I was thinking of trying the heat method, but I'm not sure how the ebenol will hold up. I have a pretty powerful radiant heater I could use, but have no way of checking the neck temperature in the process.
    Thanks in advance for any tips.

2. T-Bird

T-Bird

Hi.

Based on the little bit of experience I have with ebonol, do it outside ;).

Someone reported a succesful FB surgery on an aluminium/ebonol Kramer neck last year, but when I had to remove an ebonol FB from a wooden neck quite recently, I had to first cut it to ~1mm thicknss with a bandsaw and still the ebonol burned before the glue/adhesive used melted.

Again, based on my experience, what You're about to attempt will fail, but if the neck is a lost cause as-is you can't make it any worse, can you?

Regards
    Sam

3. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

I just had a similar experience with a "stabilized" (acrylic-infused) fretboard removal which I outsourced to a more competent luthier. I asked if he was planning on heating and he said "no way!". Apparently, the heat levels required run a high risk of de-stabilizing adjacent glue joints...and this set-neck bass has a lot of glue joints. Instead, as a matter of practice, he de-frets then mills the board from the neck. I'm sure some heat is generated but not enough to jeopardize the integrity of the instrument. This is a departure from what the OP is intending but does embrace some shared considerations.

Riis

4. 6stringvince

6stringvince Supporting Member

I guess I'll have to live with it as is. I put some TI flats on it and the bow is now considerably less then it was.
    The truss rod is maxed out, but I'm wondering if I can add a couple of washers to shim it? The truss rod is the type that adjusts at the head stock end with an allen key. Can these be unscrewed all the way to add washers?
    Thanks again for any advice.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. BioWeapon

BioWeapon

^Most can. Simply unscrew, add washers, screw the nut back in, adjust, done.
    EDIT: Take off or loosen the strings completely first, obviously :)

Last edited: Apr 21, 2014