1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Heavy Blues, Doom, Stoner, Desert etc, Share who you are spinning

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Squanch72, Jan 23, 2013.

1. Squanch72

Squanch72 Supporting Member

Been trying to find some more bands to check out. Been listening to a lot of Swedish and German bands to get my fill. Really love that retro guitar and bass sound more on the rock than metal side I guess. I see a lot of posts on Stoner Doom, and thought it would be fun to list bands. Anyway thought I would list some bands I am digging and see if you dig them and see what anyone else can add to the list. If I am listing this in the wrong spot, let me know, I will correct it.
    Asteroid, Rotor (Germany, not the one from Texas). Graveyard, Radio Moscow, Causa Sui, Hypnos 69, Danava, Colour Haze, Brutus, Zipper, Dead Man, On Tail Forever, Kings of Frog Island, High On Fire, Siena Root, Brutus , Horisont, Witchcraft, Drunk Horse, Haiabusa, Great Mammoth, Tame Impala.
    Hopefully that will get the ball rolling.

2. OneMoreRobot

OneMoreRobot

Pallbearer!!

Hooded Menace is a great doom band but they have some intense death metal-styled vocals that may not be your cup of tea.

3. Lazarus.Bird

Lazarus.Bird Mr. Personality

4. Squanch72

I am not anti-metal by any means, just get a little bored with the Death Growls lol

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Squanch72

Lol will do Lazurus.

7. OneMoreRobot

OneMoreRobot

Fair enough! I would definitely recommend Pallbearer even more then, I feel like it's hard for me to find a metal band I like with clean vocals so they're a great find.

8. Jupi Cake

Jupi Cake

Elder "Dead Roots Stirring", Lo-Pan "Salvador".

9. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Hypnos 69, you sir have excellent taste! One of the hidden treasures.

Some namedropping of bands that may or may not be still active and you may or may not have heard of: Black Cat Bones (heavy blues from the 60s, record is called barbed wire sandwich), Saturnalia Temple, Dopethrone (yeah like the EW record), Sungrazer (!), Accept Death, Age of Taurus, Bongripper (bassist is a tb user also), Clagg, Dark Castle, Dragonauta (heavy black metal influence imo), Gallactus, Men in search of the perfect weapon, Talbot, Monkeypriest, Stoned Jesus, Suma, Fertility Cult (if you like hypnos you'll love these guys, with sax!)

Also, special recommendation: a pale horse named death

10. Squanch72

Thanks Nashrakh,
    Since you dig Hypnos 69, make sure you check out Colour Haze.
    I can't wait to check those bands you linked.

11. Squanch72

Nashrakh,
    Really digging Fertility Cult. Love the sax and the organs!!! That sax makes me want to pull out some Morphine and give it a spin, let the tenor sax and two string slide bass take me for droney ride.

12. gavinspoon

gavinspoon

13. Squanch72

Good call on Truckfighters, they are the band that introduced me to Swedish Desert Rock!!!

14. JoeVictim

JoeVictim

My band is playing with Gypsyhawk and Mothership. Both really good bands that are more rock than metal. I definitely get what you mean. I am more on the rock side too. Most of the bands in my area are doing what I am calling "death doom". Death metal style vocals with doom backbeat.

How familiar are you with the documentary Such Hawks Such Hounds? Or Meteor City? Or Small Stone?

There are a handful of artists on those labels and the doc is probably the best thing there is as far as getting into generic stuff.

Do you like Kyuss?

15. JoeVictim

JoeVictim

16. Squanch72

Oh I enjoy Kyuss, QOTSA,Them Crooked Vultures, Eagles of Death Metal. Yeah I am definitely on the rock side. I will check out those documentaries, thanks for the tip.

17. JoeVictim

JoeVictim

18. JoeVictim

JoeVictim

19. JoeVictim

JoeVictim

See ya around in the Stoner/Doom thread!!! (aka, I won't check back here)

Laterz.

20. Squanch72

Thanks Joe and see you on the Stoner forum

21. UncleFluffy

UncleFluffy Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Head Tinkerer, The Flufflab
    Beat me to it :) They have another compilation called "Welcome Back To MeteorCity" that's available as a (legit!) free download here.

And they've got a sale on right now as well.