Heavy bridge to offset neckdivey P Bass?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by your idol, Dec 11, 2012.

1. your idol

your idol

well i just got a new P Bass. i love it. plays well, sounds perfect. Neck divey like all hell.

-Its more vintage styled and i like that. It has a headstock crack im fixing so i have ZERO interest in drilling more holes in it...Hipshots are out of the question.

-No "wide strap". all they do is grip your **** and yank that all over the place.

-i dont want to drill out another strap peg hole

im just looking for ways to balance the body. im not afraid of adding weight to the body..im about 280 lbs and play Les Paul Customs...i can hack a making something thats 8lbs 9 lbs.

i typically hate hipshot bridges and besides i dont think they would add enough weight. Id do a badass IF I HAD TO...but theyre ugly as sin IMO.

any other bridges or suggestions to adding weight to the body to balance it out? Like i said im into the vintage styling so adding mass without detracting from the more traditional vibe will be the best option here.

thanks
  2. john m

john m Supporting Member

What would Jamerson do?
  3. your idol

your idol

sit down to play :p
  4. your idol

your idol

but for the record it DID have an ashtray ove the bridge that i removed (as sometimes I play around there) i may put it on and see if that was the reason for the placement of it there...you really lead me to that thought when i started comparing my setup to the Funk Machine.

if the ashtray balances it out ill at least know what kind of mass ill have to add as leaving the ashtray on is a non option.
    [​IMG]
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

Gotoh Res-o-lite tuners are direct replacements that are much lighter than standard (66 grams each versus 85+ grams) but not quite in the realm of Hipshot ultralights (less than 50 grams each).

If you're going to add weight, put some lead or brass (wrapped in tape) inside the control cavity.
  7. your idol

your idol

I was actually considering either adding a lead sinker or 2 wrapped in tape under the pickguard. It was the first thing that came to mind. Ill look into those tuners.

I was also considering running a thin brass spacer plate under the existing bridge.. Not sure if this will kill out sustain or change the tone so this is on my last resort list.

I really love the bass as is so im just trying to keep it as original as possible.
  8. michael_atw

michael_atw Supporting Member

Japanese Fender? They had basswood bodies that were often very light.
  9. uOpt

uOpt Supporting Member

Lighter tuners and I would put the weight at the strap button. I wouldn't be comfortable with a heavy bridge given your preferences.

Or a very slow burning solid fuel rocket below the headstock.
  10. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

I hear you. Just keep in mind that losing weight at the headstock is the most effective way to reduce neck dive since small reductions yield much bigger dividends. So losing 80 grams at the headstock will do way more than adding 80 grams to the bridge.

It's also important to gauge the severity of the neck-dive problem. Here's a test: remove one tuner from the headstock and see if the balance improves. If so, then a set of light tuners is all you need. If not, then try removing a second tuner. If that works then a set of light tuners and a little weight on the tail end should work. Anything more severe than that and you're going to have to get creative.

http://www.g-gotoh.com/international/?btp_product=gb640
  11. exidor

exidor

You can order a hipshot bridge with fender mount holes it only has three holes witch concerned me at first but when I put it on my 77 VM it worked great I loved dropping in
    the strings, I bought the A style.turned out for me the bass was the problem. I'd order brass cuz it's heaver to help counter the neck dive.also do you have a wide strap that's more grippy that helps hold it in place.
  12. your idol

your idol

Yeah 86-87. Not too sure that its basswood...its quite light though.

Yeah i wouldnt be too happy changing up the whole vibe of the bass. Also...
    [​IMG]

This is how ill test it when i get home. I guess the first part of addressing the issue is knowing the severity but ill tell ya the damn headstock drops like a lead balloon... Im almost afraid to know.
  13. michael_atw

Its either basswood or an equivalent. As far as I know they were all made of basswood at that time - except maybe some natural ashes (I haven't seen any personally). Judging from the photo of it the grain looks to be basswood underneath.
  14. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

Instead of making the bass heavier on the bridge end, lighten the headstock by changing out the large vintage-style elephant-ear tuners with Hipshot Ultralights. You will save almost a full half-pound of weight at the headstock, and this should cure the neck dive.
  15. michael_atw

Yes, those old tuners are awesome but heavy. Got a couple from this period sitting by me right now. Probably a full 3-4 oz heavier than your average Fender tuners.
  16. Modern Growl

Modern Growl Supporting Member

a 6oz bridge isn't going to do anything.
  17. your idol

your idol

well i got the ashtray on er and its better...but it aint fixed still a 2-4" drop when let go from playing position.

not so sure just lighter tuners are going to fix this as i doubt very much that the tuner difference weighs more than the ashtray
  18. waynobass

waynobass Supporting Member

19. groooooove

groooooove

even the worlds heaviest bridge is unlikely to offset full-blown neck dive. theres a lot more leverage by the top of your headstock than there is at the spot where bridges go.

i'd move the strap button, but your drill shy. other choice; just cope with it.
  20. your idol

your idol

you are the MAN! this looks perfect. now im going to search for a lil testimony to back these up.
  21. RAMUSIC

RAMUSIC

While I could never justify $40 for a strap with a little pocket, I might try making something similar... that's a stellar idea. I have a basswood bodied 5er so neck dive plagues me as well. Good ideas here! Wish I could find a 5 string bridge cover...