1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Heavy Gauge Flat Wounds

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Unspoken511, Dec 6, 2013.

1. Unspoken511

Unspoken511

Hello Everyone,
    Like a lot of players, I'm in that stage where I'm trying to make a more concious effort in shaping and maintaining my own personal tone, and I'm looking for something rather specific. I need Super heavy Gauge strings, like the heaviest you could have on a five string, tuned B E A D G, and won't completely destroy my neck. I like to have relatively high action, and flat wounds would be preferable, or anything that gives me that dark, mellow tone, without being too muddy.

Thanks!

2. Grissle

Grissle

3. RedMoses

RedMoses Supporting Member

Im using LaBella Black Tape wounds, string guage is 115m they are so heavy i dont feel the frets when sliding! SOund great too.

4. Unspoken511

Unspoken511

Neither are heavy enough. I'm thinking of Atleast breaking .055 on G, and .145 or .150 on the B.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. FrenchBassQC

FrenchBassQC Supporting Member

7. Unspoken511

Unspoken511

Still looking for something heavier...

8. FrenchBassQC

FrenchBassQC Supporting Member

9. Unspoken511

Unspoken511

Thanks French, I wasn't Aware of that resource, looks like perfect gauge options. Now, the question is, what kind of strings are they? Stainless round, nickel half, chrome flat, tape wound, etc?

10. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

It's a bit hidden but on the "about" page you find:

"Circle K Strings are a nickel/steel hybrid"

11. Unspoken511

Unspoken511

hmmm... I guess that'd work. Anyone know of any super heavy guage strings that are flat wound?

12. jasper383

jasper383 Supporting Member

Highest gauge flats would be a 52-110 set of La Bellas or Rotos and then a .132 B string.

Circle K is what you want for these fat, fat gauges. They are rounds, but really high gauges just aren't available in flats. Too stiff.

13. Laurent

Laurent Supporting Member

Also Ernie Ball 5 strings (my favorite flatwound string) 45 to 130.

14. Dredmahawkus

Dredmahawkus Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I stuck a bass in my
    Circle K are pretty unique sounding and feel great....I am sure if you had a super fat set on your bass you would be the only one within 1000 miles who sounds like that!

15. donn

donn

I have a hunch that there's a bit of `apples to oranges' when comparing string gauges between flat and round wound.

16. deepbluesuk

deepbluesuk

I've been using a LaBella 760M (Jamerson) set for years and have tried other heavy flats; EB, Fender, Roto, and none even come close in tone or feel. The LaBellas are just plain meaty! Interestingly, none of the other 110 sets feel as big and the Jamersons seem to have the lowest tension??!!