1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Heavy Gauge String Player Thread

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Problemchild, Jun 20, 2012.

1. Problemchild

Problemchild

I prefer heavy gauge strings 45/50-110, DR rounds on the "P" and Labella Fs on the fretless "J".

Who are the Heavy Gauge String Players on this board ?

Please Post !

Is a Heavy Gauge String Player Club in order ?

:hyper:

PC

2. musicman666

musicman666 Supporting Member

Well I play 105-45..so I think that is a medium gauge...guess that means I can't join the future club....damn.

3. musicman666

musicman666 Supporting Member

I do like the tone from heavier gauge strings...just not the tension.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I use as heavy as 40-100, though most are 40-95. Some people don't consider that heavy but it is compared to 30-75.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Luckydog

Luckydog Supporting Member

Used the jamersons for a short time about 14-15 years ago. Never had a huger sound. But i could see my fender necks turning into boomerangs, and my hands didnt like 3 hour gigs with them.

7. jaywa

jaywa

Back when I still played roundwounds I rocked my 78 Precision with Ernie Ball Power Slinkys (.110 E IIRC). I really liked the heavier gauge cause I play in drop D a lot and it keeps those low notes a little tighter.

When I switched to flats I dropped back a notch in gauge simply cause of what my local store had in stock but I may go back up the .110 if I can find a set that heavy.

Generally when I'm playing a lot and my chops are up, I like the heavier gauge but if I fall out of playing shape they can be a bit of a challenge.

8. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN" Supporting Member

tried it once. installed them right before a gig...

i bled!:(

9. GK Growl

GK Growl

I'll chime in here. Not sure if I count being that my current string choice is DR Hi Beams but I use the heavy gauge 110-50. Hi Beams are more flexible than most so it may be comparable to a medium gauge. On top of that, I tune down 1/2 step flat and drop the E string to D flat at times.

10. Unprofessional

Unprofessional Supporting Member

I use the same on my '89 MIJ P-Bass which is set up to be played while tuned 1/2 step down.
    Personally, I would think twice about heavy gauge strings on a J-Bass or J-style bass. I stick to medium gauges on my '76 J-Bass. I don't want to pull that delicate neck too hard.

11. mattj1stc

mattj1stc

I use D'Addario Rounds at 45-65-85-105-145 on my Lakland 55-64, which has a 35" scale. Tension is relatively high and balanced string to string. In terms of tension, similar to the 4 string set of Jamerson flats on a regular 34" scale precision. In terms of tone, similar to Live at Leeds. I really dig in (not sure why, but I do) and play back near the bridge, so I really love high tension

12. c_maj

c_maj

Count me in.

I recently switched to 50/110 (Ernie Ball) on my Ibanez and I'm loving it! I drop tune (CGDA) and having the heavier gauge took up some of the slack AND boosted the sound.

My only regret is that I wish I had thought to do this sooner.

13. Geroi Asfalta

Geroi Asfalta

I use 45-110 DRs, but I don't consider that very heavy. The heaviest I've used were 50-110 Roto flats.

14. astack

astack Supporting Member

Wow, what a sad response so far...

Been at .110's for 6+ yrs. Roto 77's, 66's, Ernie Ball only in a pinch, Steve Harris custom once (too blah), trying Hi Beams now - jury's still out on 'em. Oh and finally tried La Bellas... WOW.

I like the tension closer to URB and I use pretty high action. It all forces me to keep it simple and allows me to really dig in.

15. Jools4001

Jools4001 Supporting Member

I use 45-105's on my Ric which is tuned EADG and 50-110 on my Epi T-Bird which is tuned down a half step. I used 40-100's for standard for years but I like the heavier guage and tension so I'm think of going heavier on both basses

16. slobake

slobake Supporting Member

I love my GHS 55-105 flats on my 50's classic Precision. Had to straighten the neck after I put them on though.

17. Savage_Dreams

Savage_Dreams

i use a custom gauge set. 115, 90, 65, 40. 1/2 step down to Eb. if i do tune standard though i dont change gauge. i cant stand lose floppy E or A strings. this set seems to be the best balanced tension feel for me.

18. TheBasicBassist

TheBasicBassist

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Rosado Guitars, D'addario/Planet Waves Products
    On my 5-string Smith, and form F-Bass, I used a .135 set of D'addarrio. Though on my 4-string basses I hang in the 35-40 range.

19. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Cool deal for you heavy gauge players. Rock on, and may your fingers never flinch!

I tried Jamersons and took them off the next day. Not for me. Back to the light gauge .043-.104 Labellas.

20. Shoewreck

Shoewreck

.041-.086 standard tuning. Seems like I'm in a wrong thread.

21. LemmyLicious

LemmyLicious

I use a slightly unorthodox set of 75-130 (tuned A#D#G#C#) with A# as a roundwound and the rest flat (only use the first string as support for pickin' the D# so didn't bother getting an individual A# string to go with the Steve Harris custom set). :D Basic stuff for half-step down, just that the set is effing heavy for a 4-string, being the first four strings of a 5'ver set.