1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Heavy Gauge String Player Thread

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Problemchild, Jun 20, 2012.

1. Problemchild

Problemchild

I prefer heavy gauge strings 45/50-110, DR rounds on the "P" and Labella Fs on the fretless "J".

Who are the Heavy Gauge String Players on this board ?

Please Post !

Is a Heavy Gauge String Player Club in order ?

:hyper:

PC
  2. musicman666

musicman666 Supporting Member

Well I play 105-45..so I think that is a medium gauge...guess that means I can't join the future club....damn.
  3. musicman666

musicman666 Supporting Member

I do like the tone from heavier gauge strings...just not the tension.
  4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I use as heavy as 40-100, though most are 40-95. Some people don't consider that heavy but it is compared to 30-75.
  5. Luckydog

Luckydog

Used the jamersons for a short time about 14-15 years ago. Never had a huger sound. But i could see my fender necks turning into boomerangs, and my hands didnt like 3 hour gigs with them.
  6. jaywa

jaywa

Back when I still played roundwounds I rocked my 78 Precision with Ernie Ball Power Slinkys (.110 E IIRC). I really liked the heavier gauge cause I play in drop D a lot and it keeps those low notes a little tighter.

When I switched to flats I dropped back a notch in gauge simply cause of what my local store had in stock but I may go back up the .110 if I can find a set that heavy.

Generally when I'm playing a lot and my chops are up, I like the heavier gauge but if I fall out of playing shape they can be a bit of a challenge.
  7. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN" Supporting Member

tried it once. installed them right before a gig...

i bled!:(
  8. GK Growl

GK Growl

I'll chime in here. Not sure if I count being that my current string choice is DR Hi Beams but I use the heavy gauge 110-50. Hi Beams are more flexible than most so it may be comparable to a medium gauge. On top of that, I tune down 1/2 step flat and drop the E string to D flat at times.
  9. Unprofessional

Unprofessional Supporting Member

I use the same on my '89 MIJ P-Bass which is set up to be played while tuned 1/2 step down.
    Personally, I would think twice about heavy gauge strings on a J-Bass or J-style bass. I stick to medium gauges on my '76 J-Bass. I don't want to pull that delicate neck too hard.
  10. mattj1stc

mattj1stc

I use D'Addario Rounds at 45-65-85-105-145 on my Lakland 55-64, which has a 35" scale. Tension is relatively high and balanced string to string. In terms of tension, similar to the 4 string set of Jamerson flats on a regular 34" scale precision. In terms of tone, similar to Live at Leeds. I really dig in (not sure why, but I do) and play back near the bridge, so I really love high tension
  11. c_maj

c_maj

Count me in.

I recently switched to 50/110 (Ernie Ball) on my Ibanez and I'm loving it! I drop tune (CGDA) and having the heavier gauge took up some of the slack AND boosted the sound.

My only regret is that I wish I had thought to do this sooner.
  12. Geroi Asfalta

Geroi Asfalta

I use 45-110 DRs, but I don't consider that very heavy. The heaviest I've used were 50-110 Roto flats.
  13. astack

astack Supporting Member

Wow, what a sad response so far...

Been at .110's for 6+ yrs. Roto 77's, 66's, Ernie Ball only in a pinch, Steve Harris custom once (too blah), trying Hi Beams now - jury's still out on 'em. Oh and finally tried La Bellas... WOW.

I like the tension closer to URB and I use pretty high action. It all forces me to keep it simple and allows me to really dig in.
  14. Jools4001

Jools4001

I use 45-105's on my Ric which is tuned EADG and 50-110 on my Epi T-Bird which is tuned down a half step. I used 40-100's for standard for years but I like the heavier guage and tension so I'm think of going heavier on both basses
  15. slobake

slobake Supporting Member

I love my GHS 55-105 flats on my 50's classic Precision. Had to straighten the neck after I put them on though.
  16. Savage_Dreams

Savage_Dreams

i use a custom gauge set. 115, 90, 65, 40. 1/2 step down to Eb. if i do tune standard though i dont change gauge. i cant stand lose floppy E or A strings. this set seems to be the best balanced tension feel for me.
  17. TheBasicBassist

TheBasicBassist Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Rosado Guitars, D'addario/Planet Waves Products
    On my 5-string Smith, and form F-Bass, I used a .135 set of D'addarrio. Though on my 4-string basses I hang in the 35-40 range.
  18. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Cool deal for you heavy gauge players. Rock on, and may your fingers never flinch!

I tried Jamersons and took them off the next day. Not for me. Back to the light gauge .043-.104 Labellas.
  19. Shoewreck

Shoewreck

.041-.086 standard tuning. Seems like I'm in a wrong thread.
  20. LemmyLicious

LemmyLicious

I use a slightly unorthodox set of 75-130 (tuned A#D#G#C#) with A# as a roundwound and the rest flat (only use the first string as support for pickin' the D# so didn't bother getting an individual A# string to go with the Steve Harris custom set). :D Basic stuff for half-step down, just that the set is effing heavy for a 4-string, being the first four strings of a 5'ver set.