Heavy metal bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by da axeman, May 16, 2007.

1. da axeman

da axeman

Hi everyone, I play bass for a heavy metal band and was wondering what is a bass that will give a great metal tone (don't care about price). I am particularly looking for the tone that the bassist from disturbed :)bassist: )uses.

Have a fender P bass btw.
  2. steve M

steve M

I think the bassist from disturbed plays a 5 string stingray if your looking for that tone.
  3. Nightsblood

Nightsblood

I still think Spector has the best metal sound. Check out Rex from Pantera and Eddie from Queensryche (Empire). These will give you two separate sounds of the Spector but, both are very clear sounding. Thats my pick. Good Luck with your search.
  4. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

I was going to go with P-Bass.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. shrimphead

shrimphead

I play a thunderbird in a thrash band and it sounds great, really lovely low end cuts right through the mix and the passive humbuckers make fast galloping riffs sound really obnoxious :)

just my 2c though :)
  7. ROON

ROON

Musicman Stingray! It's the only way to go. Here are the two clips that convinced me to buy a Ray,

This is THE metal tone in my opinon. :) :bassist:
  8. da axeman

da axeman

I was thinking about getting a T-bird, but after hearing those two songs and knowing the disturbed:)bassist:) bassist uses a musicman stingray, i am starting to think about getting one of those...

ty for the replies btw
  9. Kink Rimson

Kink Rimson

Exactly what I was going to say.:bassist:

Incredible grunt.
  10. Detonation

Detonation

Don't know Disturbed's bass sound, but since Metal is a HUGE genre with hundred's of different bass sounds, I find it impossible to specify the best bass for metal.

However, generally, I find both Spector and Stingrays to be able to cut through a busy mix very well. Of course, your amp is really important as well.
  11. da axeman

da axeman

Anyone else got any opinions ?
  12. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops

Guy from Racer X used a Jazz from what I could tell (saw a live clip on Youtube). I just got an SX Jazz and am learning "Peace Sells".

But generally a P or soap bars will suite you better. Really, just try a bunch out and see what you like better. It will also depend on your amp.
  13. Captain Chaos

Captain Chaos

[​IMG]

I think you already have a bass that sounds good for metal.
  14. God of Rapture

God of Rapture

15. smadder

smadder

I sent you a perosnal message.
  16. ROON

ROON

I can't stand T-Birds, the sound is horrid IMO. :meh: I played a few Spectors from the Euro range, and loved them. But played a Stingray the next day and it completly wiped out the competition, so that's what I got! There are quite a few bassist's out there that use P's for metal, though I dont like them. I'm gonna give you the usual advice, go out, play many basses and get the one that you love. :)
  17. Thunder_Fingers

Thunder_Fingers

^My good man, if you ever have heard "Quadrophenia" by The Who, i simply cant understand how you can say that about Thunderbirds.. wonderful sound.

"Strangers in the night" by UFO goes for the same.
  18. 73jbass

73jbass Gold Supporting Member

Why not just try a bunch of different basses out,and pick what you like.You'll get way too many opinions here.
  19. kserg

kserg

I am not sure there is such thing as "metal tone". :meh: Be more specific, who is your influence, what band do you want your tone to be close to, what style of metal. I think that all matters.

fender P bass is a good bass, i am sure if you play around with your AMP you can find a tone you looking for...

Also, filling out your profile helps as we would know what bass you have and what kind of AMP/Cab setup you are playing with. :)

Welcome to the forum.
  20. bassfacekevin

bassfacekevin

Gotta pipe in. My money is on the warwick Thumb. The tones are amazing, the highs cut through like nobody's business, and they look great.

unearth, don't really know what's up with the anime: http://youtube.com/watch?v=YB1epeKcDWg

as always, whenever the thumb is brought up: http://youtube.com/watch?v=G7DWH3DrzeY

not a thumb, but a great warwick tone, from dirk lance: http://youtube.com/watch?v=hGEbim3V6cw

That should give you a good idea of what the thumb, and warwick line of basses can do for you

~K
  21. Willem

Willem