Heavy, relatively flexible picks??

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Bassdude15, Mar 22, 2014.

1. Bassdude15

Bassdude15

I know that light picks are generally easier to play fast with, but I hate the thin, metallic sound they produce; it is much more difficult I find to create dynamic variations than with heavy picks, which give a much thicker, rounder tone and more articulate dynamics. However, in my experience many heavy picks are difficult to control and can be rather "grabby'' on the strings, and when I use flat wounds they've even gotten stuck between the wraps once or twice.
    So, can somebody recommend a relatively flexible, large, durable pick, somewhere between 1.14 and 2 mm, with smooth edges, and (preferably) gripped surface??

Thanks,
    Bassdude15

2. joedownunder

joedownunder Supporting Member

Dunlop nylon, best I've found bro

3. bluesdogblues

bluesdogblues

Media:
    Albums:
    I use Dunlop Nylon 1mm but still feel what bassdude15 feels.
    I think everything has it's plus & minus and sometimes we need to deal with that :D

4. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist-Reverend Guitars
    Dunlop Green ones .88 I think
    They allow me to feel the string but also stand up when I want to dig in

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Bassdude15

Bassdude15

How does the 1mm feel??

7. bluesdogblues

bluesdogblues

Media:
    Albums:
    Not as good as I want it,..but it's the best I can get

8. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist-Reverend Guitars
    To be be honest, I think it's mostly whatever you get used to. I did, however, find myself (through an ordering mistake) with a pack of Dunlop picks with the pointy, sharp end rather than the traditional rounded end and found them to be excellent with regards to articulation

9. Camaro

Camaro

10. Rockin Mike

Rockin Mike Supporting Member

For flexible standard (ish) shape I like the Planet Waves Black Ice.
    Planet Waves Black Ice Picks

For flexibility thickness is not as important as the material used. The heavies are I think 1.10 or 1.14, I don't know about the extra heavies.

Having said that, IMO and IME flexibility is best achieved by technique. Play on the very tip of the pick and use varying grip strength of your hand to provide whatever amount of flex you want.

Whatever else I try I keep coming back to these, however:
    Dunlop Carbon Fiber Jazz III Picks

You can't beat these for articulation. They feel like you're talking directly to the string without a piece of plastic in the way.

A non-carbon-fiber pick starts to go bad (extra drag on the strings, slows you down, costs you precision) as soon as it shows any wear; the carbon fiber is immune to that. I have a pack of these that are close to a year old and are showing zero wear. They are 100% rigid, no flex, but like I said you can (IMO should) flex with your hand. The very textured grip on these lets you hold them very loosely without dropping them. Also the small jazz shape lets you choke up on them right up to the tip.

They take some getting used to because they'll feel unfamiliar at first, and they'll throw your timing off because what you're used to doing is using the length of the pick to reach the next string; with the jazz III you have to move your hand all the way to the next string instead. That's a plus once you get used to it because you will have increased feel and control.

They come in a black nylon also, stay away from those as they will start to wear and drag on the strings. The carbon fibers feel like a brand new pick every time you pick one up.

Sound-wise the carbon fiber jazz IIIs are not very clicky at all. They have more attack than fingers but still more subdued than any other pick I've tried. I like that for most things but I keep a couple of the Black Ice around for a more obvious pick click.

Dunlop Tortex and Ultex are the clickiest picks I've tried, but in my hands they start to show wear after only a few sets.

For the most classic pick tone, celluloid Fender heavies are what most everybody used back in the day.

11. MalcolmAmos

MalcolmAmos Supporting Member

The big stubby 2.00 mm has been mentioned. I have not done this, but, some picks have a hole in the middle that helps in holding the pick. Might drill a hole in some of the big stubby picks; 2.00 mm to 3.00 mm and see.

I worked up from the 2.00 mm to the 3.00 mm and if I use a pick I now use the 3.00 mm big stubby.

Good thing about picks they do not cost that much -- experiment.

12. zontar

zontar

Media:
    Albums:
    The Dunlop Ultex picks are thick, but flexible.

They're not my cup of tea, but some people like them.

13. Bassdude15

Bassdude15

Anyone tried the Dunlop Genuine Celluloids?? Im thinking of trying them.

14. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

I've become devoted to Claytons. I use the large triangular ones in 1.26 mm thickness, and I think you might like them. I used regular sized guitar picks for years, but now that I play mostly pick style due to a finger problem, I've developed a strong preference for the larger picks. I think they provide more control, and I never drop them.

http://www.steveclayton.com/acetal.php

15. Bassdude15

Bassdude15

Thanks!I'll check them out!