Heavy sounding distortion or versatile fuzz for metal

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by XtheDeadPawn, Dec 4, 2013.

1. XtheDeadPawn

XtheDeadPawn

I recently came into some money about $150. I love my Digitech BP200 but, after a few weeks of having it I want to wet my taste with a good dirty distortion suitable for metal. I am open to fuzz pedals as well.

I was thinking maybe a Muff, the Digitech Death Metal, and a ProCo RAT.

I however am open to suggestions to get a sense of the distortion I want imagine a solid state amp clipping and the notes being shrill. I want that same sound minus the shrill sound.

2. makanudo

makanudo

Something with a blend knob is essential. Most metal bass you hear (from what I've researched looking for this aswell) is usually recorded with a distorted signal and a clean signal and then blended together. Just my 2 cents.

3. bassresistance

bassresistance

I'd take a look at the Joyo Ultimate Drive. It doesn't have a blend, but it's a wonderful bass distortion, and it's only £30.

4. DeltaPhoenix

DeltaPhoenix Supporting Member

Look for a used Dr. Scientist The Elements

One of the most versatile dirt pedals out there. It can nail metal tones. The builder is a huge Slayer fan.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. aledeville

aledeville

For me metal is about fast riffs and very accurate playing and therefore I would not recommend something as a fuzz.
    More like distortion or overdrive.

7. Vlad5

Vlad5 Chronic Knob Twiddling Tone Chaser Supporting Member

For faster (speed) metal:
    Lomenzo Hyperdrive and/or Darkglass B3K and lots of volume after em, especially a low-mid boost. Both have blend (mix) knobs.

For slower (doom) metal:
    Wren and Cuff Tall Font Russian (or similar green Russian muff). Can be had with a blend too if desired, but for doom, it's not needed.

Of course, these work well with my bass and amp...

8. Trombassix

Trombassix

I've heard of players disappearing from the mix live through using fuzz pedals, especially with heavy music. Some fuzz pedals like the Muff variants are somewhere between fuzz and distortion. I like the James LoMenzo Hyperdrive pedal by Ashdown as it does everything you want as a heavy metal bass player. It brings out the attack, blends enough with the guitars and sounds edgy and metal in exposed sections. Look at James LoMenzo's demonstration video on YouTube. I also really like Bryan Bellers tone he uses for Dethklok, which involves a Bass BB preamp by Xotic FX.

9. andrew

andrew

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification, Regenerate Guitar Works
    If I was going to buy a new pedal for playing metal it would hands down be the Empress Heavy, but it's more than $150. :meh:

If you can find a used Duncan Twin Tube Mayhem they sound very good for gnarly, heavy bass tone.

10. autodidact

autodidact

Check out the Biyang Metal-End. I just got one and I'm surprised by it every time I use it. Nice tight low end, super flexible EQ and its less than $100 new. Also check the Classifieds for a Fuzzrocious Rat Tail. Awesome distortion but a little closer to $150

11. zwkoch

zwkoch You can't do that on bass enthusiast Gold Supporting Member

The Source Audio OFD is within $20 dollars of your price range and can cover any sound you may be looking for. It has two types of blend, 12 different distortion models, and a full EQ that can be applied to any patch. Take a minute and do a youtube search for the bass OFD.

12. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist Gold Supporting Member

i am waiting on a fuzzrocious rat tail with a blend knob, however until then i will continue to heavily overdrive my mesa d180 head, i'm getting too old to walk over to the head between songs and manually switch from my clean tones to my od tones nowadays, i'll be 40 in march

13. omie

omie

I think the Rat Tail is perfect for this without a blend.

I currently use a tube screamer clone as a light OD to push a scooped fuzz for my metal tone. Cheap, flexible.. savage.

14. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist Gold Supporting Member

i got the blend knob for the less extreme projects i do on the side sometimes and recording, our other bass player plays his ibanez expressionator through a 212 line 6 guitar combo with a gainy marshall setting, i wonder if that sounds a little like your setup

15. XtheDeadPawn

XtheDeadPawn

16. Kazoo_Legend

Kazoo_Legend Supporting Member

+1. It can probably copy more distortion tones than any other single FX unit, that I've come across anyway. It does light overdrive to full on fuzz with a couple flicks o' the wrist.

17. DavidLopezJr

DavidLopezJr

For $150 look for a VT Bass or a BDDI from Tech 21. The clank that you get from those two are what help you cut through in the mix. That will help you cut through more than a RAT or a Muff. Only thing else comparable would be a Darkglass B[x]K.

18. kohntarkosz

kohntarkosz Banned

I purchased a Boss ODB-3 and modded it to Wampler specs. If I wanted a metal tone I would use this with the blend on 50%, the gain on 50% and the treble enhanced a bit. To my ears this is a classic '90s metal tone that makes fresh roundwounds sound especially 'zingy'.