1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

HEEELLLLLPPPPP!

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Grey9968, Jan 17, 2013.

1. Grey9968

Grey9968

I recently bought a Fender Marcus Miller Jazz Bass and am now looking to buy a new amp. I have borrowed a Ashdown Mag300 for rehearsals and just CANNOT get a decent sound. i use fingers and play quite heavily and the only half decent sound i can get is with no treble on the bass and a less than flat EQ. Top end sounds ok but anything deep is rattling the hell out of speakers and especially the tweeter. Any advice on why this may be happening and on amps/combos that may suit the MMjazz around the £500/£600 range would be much appreciated.
  2. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Set everything flat and use small cuts to dial in tone. No big boosts.

As far as an amp of your own, I recommend you take your bass down and play through as many rigs as you can. If you could find a PF-350/500 and a PF115LF I think you might be pleased.
  3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

And, your choice of speaker cab is of utmost importance. What were you using with the Ashdown?
  4. Grey9968

Grey9968

It was a mag 300 combo. Advice on which to buy is what I after really. Have a very punchy sound with the mm jazz on active mode which the ash down seems to struggle with. What are the PF s? Guessing they may be peavey? Need a fair bit of volume as have 2 noisy guitarists and a 6ft 6 animal of a drummer to keep up with!!
  5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Wow, to think I almost called 911 for you. Sheesh! Calm down!
  6. HolmeBass

HolmeBass

PFs are Ampeg Portaflex amps.
  7. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

hmmm...

i'd suggest flatter EQ on the bass (maybe even bypass it), more power and headroom from the rig, and ease up on the playing "heavily" to get a more even tone. (you'll save your wrist tendons while you're at it.)

a good jazz bass should sound decent through just about everything.
  8. rodl2005

rodl2005

Has the Mag got an eq defeat button like the ABM Ashdowns? If so turn it off, it's a mid scoop. :confused:
  9. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

I take it you heard and played the new bass through another amp when you bought it. Any idea what it was, might be worth investigating?
  10. Grey9968

Grey9968

Thanks folks. Tried it with a ampeg combo a small one though. Sounded excellent but doubt that be loud enough for me. L
  11. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Loud band? Look for 300-500 watt amp, and most importantly, go BIG on spkrs. This is where the volume comes from. Think 4x10, 2x15 as a MINIMUM starting point. 2 fairly large 8 ohm cabs will provide all the needed ooomph.